The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW, 19Vp-p, 12 hours
Apr 11, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #526 of 1,039

I bought a Fiio E18 to use with Tidal on my cell phone. I'm pushing anything from DT 990S 250OHM, to ATH-MSR7s, to M40x and SHP-9500s. The problem is, the E18 is basically not usable for me as it picks up a lot of interference from the cellular signal while near the phone.

So, I need something that size or smaller to pair with my phone that will drive my headphones and not have the same interference issues. Any advice? Does the A5 have proper insulation so that when placed in the same pocket as my phone it minimizes the popping and hissing of the cellular signal?

Bumping my original question as I never really got a response.

I m currently playing SoundCloud on my OnePlus 3t stacked on the A5. Has been about 20 mins of listening and i don't hear any interference at all. The phone is stacked on top of the A5 to maximise interference if any. I am happy to report back there has been none so far.

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #527 of 1,039

I m currently playing SoundCloud on my OnePlus 3t stacked on the A5. Has been about 20 mins of listening and i don't hear any interference at all. The phone is stacked on top of the A5 to maximise interference if any. I am happy to report back there has been none so far.

Super cool! 

FiiO does a good job with their AMPs in general! 

I haven't seen any EMI from the original X5 to this day. I'm glad yo know you haven't found any either! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #528 of 1,039

Super cool! 

FiiO does a good job with their AMPs in general! 

I haven't seen any EMI from the original X5 to this day. I'm glad yo know you haven't found any either! 
beerchug.gif

I agree and their E17k also has good insulation from interference.

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #529 of 1,039
Good to hear that A5 seems to be free of EMI interference when stacked with a phone.  I wonder if steaming Tidal would make a difference since the phone would be constantly pulling signal.  I wonder why my E18 gets so much EMI.  It doesn't matter if I use it as a dac/amp or a standalone amp.  It gets noticeable EMI.  Scouring through the Amazon reviews I saw other people were having the same problems.  Fiio's response to them was to put the phone in airplane mode........which.........sucks..........

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #530 of 1,039
  Good to hear that A5 seems to be free of EMI interference when stacked with a phone.  I wonder if steaming Tidal would make a difference since the phone would be constantly pulling signal.  I wonder why my E18 gets so much EMI.  It doesn't matter if I use it as a dac/amp or a standalone amp.  It gets noticeable EMI.  Scouring through the Amazon reviews I saw other people were having the same problems.  Fiio's response to them was to put the phone in airplane mode........which.........sucks..........

I think i said i was using SoundCloud, which also constantly pulls signal.

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #531 of 1,039

Even though I didn't own or really hear E18, I'm sorry to hear that you had such problems with it... Let's hope that your next soluton satisfies you completely! 

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #532 of 1,039
How does the A5 affect bass?

I'm using X5iii with CIEMs Merlins and tried this combination with Cayin C5, but this amp smooths the sound too much. What I like though is the effect of more bass power.
A5 is said to be a pretty neutral amp, but does its high power affect also bass power? Or will I hear/feel no change in bass at all?

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #533 of 1,039
  How does the A5 affect bass?

I'm using X5iii with CIEMs Merlins and tried this combination with Cayin C5, but this amp smooths the sound too much. What I like though is the effect of more bass power.
A5 is said to be a pretty neutral amp, but does its high power affect also bass power? Or will I hear/feel no change in bass at all?

With CIEMs, probably not. 

With big headphones, it would improve bass quite a bit. 

But, A5 has a bass slider, which should help you enhance the bass 
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #534 of 1,039
I'm using DT770&K702 on my X5/A5. Lots of bass improvement with A5. On a tidbit side note, my HE560 does not sound great on it lol.

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #536 of 1,039
Mainly using the A5 with my HD25-1. I find that the bass boost increases more sub-bass presence but it's actually quite subtle, unlike my JDS labs C5, which literally causes my cans to vibrate.

Been pretty impressed with this little thing, I like the sound on my HD25-1 with the gain on high but it'll go crazy loud even at low gain and with the volume at 1/2.

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #537 of 1,039
  I am having my E12A right now. Not really satisfied with its outcome. Looking forward to this A5, also seems to be a more trendy look.

It has no sound. It just amps the signal. Some amps add a tint of color but the A5 does not. It keeps my X5iii sounding like a more powerful....X5iii. It's a nice piece of kit.
It replaced my Cayin C5 completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back