The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW, 19Vp-p, 12 hours
Nov 22, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #226 of 1,039
The volume knob on A5 isn't slippery at all. It have this nice facture and resistance so it operates very smoothly and accurately.

Nov 22, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #227 of 1,039
The volume knob on A5 isn't slippery at all. It have this nice facture and resistance so it operates very smoothly and accurately.

As I said, compared to the E12A it is less user friendly but not a deal breaker, I definitely prefer the E12A knob.

Nov 22, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #228 of 1,039
Didn't had the E12 so I can't compare. You might be right, but none the less the A5 operates pretty nice to me :wink:

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #229 of 1,039

As I said, compared to the E12A it is less user friendly but not a deal breaker, I definitely prefer the E12A knob.

Do you have both now? If so, do you think if somebody helped you do a blind listening test you could tell them apart?

Nov 23, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #230 of 1,039
  Do you have both now? If so, do you think if somebody helped you do a blind listening test you could tell them apart?

Yes, I have both E12A and A5 at the same time.

I noticed that the E12A is improving with burn-in but the A5 sounded good straight out of the box.

I am very confident I could tell them apart in a random blind and deaf test. 
blink.gif

The only problem is that my wife might try to strangle me when doing a blind test as she is not too keen on my audio obsession. 
confused_face(1).gif
wink_face.gif

I have had some PM's with Twister6 and he also thinks they sound different and will review the A5 in the near future.

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #231 of 1,039
Received my A5 yesterday, only had a small chance to listen so far. Excellent build and the sound... well so far so good :D

Nov 23, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #232 of 1,039
I am liking my new A5 more and more every day. Sound is really powerful and smooth.

Nov 24, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #233 of 1,039
I've had my A5 for about 7 hours now and its a very good portable hp amp at its price point. I've hooked it up to my X5II and used my Elear and I think they sound as good or better than when I use the K5 dock amp. There's also plenty of power to push my HE-400i with ease. A nice and black background with no hissing at all. For $130 I think the A5 is a very good buy.

Its been an hour or so since my first post and I've come to the conclusion that I like the portable A5 over the desktop K5. I don't use the bass boost but I feel like the bass sounds cleaner and tighter on the A5 and the mids are a touch more forward which I like. As I'm getting use to its signature (there is no burn-in on amps or daps but that's for another time) its sounding really good with my X5II and Elear, now to takeout to old Nighthawks to give them a go.

Nov 24, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #234 of 1,039
I've had my A5 for about 7 hours now and its a very good portable hp amp at its price point. I've hooked it up to my X5II and used my Elear and I think they sound as good or better than when I use the K5 dock amp. There's also plenty of power to push my HE-400i with ease. A nice and black background with no hissing at all. For $130 I think the A5 is a very good buy.

Its been an hour or so since my first post and I've come to the conclusion that I like the portable A5 over the desktop K5. I don't use the bass boost but I feel like the bass sounds cleaner and tighter on the A5 and the mids are a touch more forward which I like. As I'm getting use to its signature (there is no burn-in on amps or daps but that's for another time) its sounding really good with my X5II and Elear, now to takeout to old Nighthawks to give them a go.

Hi, Headphone4Life
smily_headphones1.gif
 Glad to learn that the A5 meet your need!

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 24, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #235 of 1,039

Yes, I have both E12A and A5 at the same time.

I noticed that the E12A is improving with burn-in but the A5 sounded good straight out of the box.

I am very confident I could tell them apart in a random blind and deaf test. 
blink.gif

The only problem is that my wife might try to strangle me when doing a blind test as she is not too keen on my audio obsession. 
confused_face(1).gif
wink_face.gif

I have had some PM's with Twister6 and he also thinks they sound different and will review the A5 in the near future.

You are lucky, I think my ex would just strangle me anyway, at least your wife will have a reason beyond random, wanton violence! Glad you are enjoying the A5. I would grab it, but I'm waiting for the Q5 with Bluetooth as I require/want wireless.

Nov 26, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #236 of 1,039

They sound quite good with the Nighthawks, the clean sound of the A5 balancing the sound of hawks, I really enjoyed this pairing.

Nov 26, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #238 of 1,039

trust redjohn456. his comments r legit

Maybe so, but it is possible that he is a Maple Leafs fan and that might taint his trustworthiness.
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #240 of 1,039
  Can one replace the Muses 02 op amp or is it soldered on the board?

Soldered on PCB, and very difficult to replaceable even if you have the right tools and good enough with a soldering iron, because of all the tiny caps and resistors that surrounding it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back