The Extreme has arrived!
Dec 18, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #61 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No they dont, plus, the sr-80 actually has some semblance of a soundstage.
eek.gif

The amp looks like tootootoo much fun. Damn I wish I were able to listen to one but I at least have some teeny tiny tubes that glow and throw a beautiful soundstage. I wish I didn't like tubes so much, I really want one of the Extremes. I would imagine the authority that the amp has with headphones and yet the microdynamics would be near perfect.

Dec 19, 2006 at 11:36 AM Post #63 of 428
Earl, any further listening impressions? What type of transformer did you get with your amp a toroid or standard? what is the standard driver tube an octal or noval? What I would like is two driver socktes for my balloon 27 mesh plates.

Dec 19, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #64 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Earl, any further listening impressions? What type of transformer did you get with your amp a toroid or standard? what is the standard driver tube an octal or noval? What I would like is two driver socktes for my balloon 27 mesh plates.

I just got the standard .... non-toriod transformer .... but a special 14 amp version of the stock transformer. All three sockets are octal sockets and I think he supplies an octal EH 6sn7 for gain; that I always ditch. I know he could put one 27 in .... but with two he would have to go to another case, obviously wire the amp slightly differently etc... He can do anything its just a matter of what you want to pay.

Back to the Extreme .... this amp sounds so good with everything .... high / low impedence .... it doesnt matter. I bought a pair of Alessandro M2Si's last night, and with multiple pairs of senn 580/595/600's, I am about as confirmed a senn man as anyone on the board. I am really curious how the AKG 701 will sound with these too.

Dec 19, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #65 of 428
I am not quite clear. How do you like the M2Si? Are you saying that with the Senn you prefer that to the M2? The 701 would seem to be a nice can to have. From everything I have read there are those who love the highs and some who feel they are too exteme.

One 27 wouldn't work to well. I would have half of the signal but I guess that is better than nothing. :^)

Dec 19, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #66 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not quite clear. How do you like the M2Si? Are you saying that with the Senn you prefer that to the M2? The 701 would seem to be a nice can to have. From everything I have read there are those who love the highs and some who feel they are too exteme.

One 27 wouldn't work to well. I would have half of the signal but I guess that is better than nothing. :^)

The 27 is a single triode then .... I am to used to dual triodes.

I just bought the M2's so I dont have them yet to know.
biggrin.gif

I had mostly dismissed grado's because over time I liked the senns much better. With the Extreme the little grado sr-80 I have sounds much improved. So much so .... that I decided to take a chance on some more upscale grado headphones and bought the M2's. I still love my senns, but with the Extreme, not to the exclusion of eveything else.

Dec 19, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #67 of 428
Quote:

So much so .... that I decided to take a chance on some more upscale grado headphones and bought the M2's. I still love my senns, but with the Extreme, not to the exclusion of eveything else.

Don't forget to try them with reversed bowls!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #68 of 428
I'm really really anxious to see how the Extreme compares with the Slam SE. I suspect the main difference will be in detail retrieval; it seems like the Extreme has nailed tonality (well, all Singlepowers do this) and soundstage. Also, it'd be great to know how Grados compare on the two amps- I might just dabble with other cans sometime soon
rs1smile.gif

Dec 19, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #70 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget to try them with reversed bowls!
smily_headphones1.gif

I generally like flats or the senn 19545 pads. I still have some new 19545's left over from when I introduced those to head-fi several years ago. I will probably use those unless the newer M2Si's sound good with the stock bowl pads.

Dec 19, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #71 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by Janus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"That power switch begs to be replaced."...

Perhaps not a bad idea actually. Look what's in the sockets first before powering up
icon10.gif

My goodness: With the SP Extreme, the seemingly infinite numbers of tubes - and combinations of them - for most Singlepower amps has reached yet a higher peak. To prevent these fine amps to be tube-collectors’ only, a comprehensive tube-rolling, adaptors' and operations instruction would not be a redundant item next to them, I think.
wink.gif

Anyone volunteering?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #72 of 428
My goodness: With the SP Extreme, the seemingly infinite numbers of tubes - and combinations of them - for most Singlepower amps has reached yet a higher peak. To prevent these fine amps to be tube-collectors’ only, a comprehensive tube-rolling, adaptors' and operations instruction would not be a redundant item next to them, I think.

It would keep me from asking Earl. I'm sure he has a life. I am totally new to the tube amp. I bought this one blindly to learn what this affection is. An owner manual with this info. perhaps would add to the value for us noobs. Save on the ignorant questions.

JMHO

Dec 20, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #73 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It would keep me from asking Earl. I'm sure he has a life. I am totally new to the tube amp. I bought this one blindly to learn what this affection is. An owner manual with this info. perhaps would add to the value for us noobs. Save on the ignorant questions.

JMHO

there is a "global singlepower" tube thread somewhere else.
it has a list of what tubes work in what adapters.
also, a LOT of impressions on a lot of tubes
smily_headphones1.gif
although mostly applied to the mpx3, so the EXACT blend is still up for grabs on an extreme.

Dec 20, 2006 at 8:33 AM Post #74 of 428
Quote:

Mine is stock except for an upgraded 14 amp transformer so I can use 6528 output tubes. The 5998's sound so good I dont really want to switch them out though. I have some modded grado sr-80's .... so I will give some comments with those low impedence headphones at some point. This amp is an absolute steal.
biggrin.gif

How much did this upgrade cost? Would this change with the 6528 be a good thing if I were to use it with the K1000s since the recommended wattage for the K1Ks are 30w/channel (if i didnt remember wronng). It would drive the K1Ks with much more authority wouldnt it? Or is stock good enough?

Dec 20, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #75 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by jigster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much did this upgrade cost? Would this change with the 6528 be a good thing if I were to use it with the K1000s since the recommended wattage for the K1Ks are 30w/channel (if i didnt remember wrong). It would drive the K1Ks with much more authority wouldnt it? Or is stock good enough?

First, from what I have been told, the stock unit drives the k1000 with authority. I dont own the k1000.

The 30 watt speaker amps recommended are almost always rated at 8 ohms. At the 120 ohm impedence of the k1000 .... the same 30 watt amp will only be putting out a few watts. The k1000 is rated at 1000mw = 1 watt maximum input for a spl of around 100db. The Extreme is good for atleast 1.5 watts at 120 ohms.

The larger transformer plus the 6528 is POTENTIALLY a more powerful combo. But you dont need to use the 6528 tube to drive the k1000. The 14 amp transformer like mine will cost around $125 extra. He is going to be using a different brand of 14 amp transformer for the final production models. So, this cost may be slightly off.

The following specifications are from the AKG K1000 manual:

Type Dynamic transducer w/VLD magnet
Sensitivity 74 dB SPL/mW (free field)
Frequency range 30 to 25,000 Hz
Rated impedance 120 ohms
Max. power 100 mW for 1 Pa (400 mW =ˆ 100 dB)
THD K2<=0.5% (200 Hz to 2 kHz), K2<=1% (100 to 200 Hz)
Max. input power 1000 mW (measured with test noise to DIN 45582), equivalent to approx. 100 dB
Headband pressure (on 140-mm wide head) 3.5 N (DIN 45580)
Cable approx. 2.5 m (8 ft.)
Connector 4-pin XLR
Adapter 4-pin XLR to unterminated leads for direct connection to speaker terminals
Measurement situation free sound field

Users who are viewing this thread

Back