The EX71 thread -- intrigued by Sony EX71s -- what do you know about them?
Jul 25, 2004 at 3:03 AM Post #47 of 99
I'm talking about the Best Buy in Gaithersburg, MD (where they have lots of Sony EX51s for $40).
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagrr
where exactly is your neck of the woods?

Jul 25, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #48 of 99
Hmmm...

I've been looking for EX51's all over the internet. I hardly could find them anywhere. They don't even have them on Best Buy's website. Even the lowest price for them was only a couple of dollars less than the 71's. I ended up buying the EX71's today, but im pretty satisfied.

The long cord comes in handy though. ie. i can hook up striaght to the sound card when im listening to music on the computer. I dont have to go through those horrible desktop speakers anymore!!! Also, if you guys didn't notice... the case doubles as a cord shortner. You can put the cable through it, and wrap it around a couple of times so that the wire does not get in the way. Its pretty light, but its there...

I'll be back with more...

Jul 26, 2004 at 2:20 AM Post #49 of 99
Day 2 with my EX71's, and they passed my test for sound quality. That doesn't really mean much though.
frown.gif

The biggest pain in the donkey for me is the one cord longer than the other scenario. I wouldn't mind it that much, but big cord is 3 times bigger than the other.
blink.gif
..... Am i missing something Sony??? Were these phones originally designed for bigfoot or something???

I didn't really hear much about that from this thread, so assume you already have a solution for it. Well, i hope you do anyway...
frown.gif
Thanks for any help!!

Jul 26, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #53 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
The long cord goes behind your neck, and it hangs very well that way. If you wanted equal lengths the Sharp MD33 is a better choice.

no, the sharp md33s also have uneven cord, along with most of these japanese canalphones i understand.

only ones i know of that have even cords are the american made ones, such as etymotic and shure.

Jul 26, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #54 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
no, the sharp md33s also have uneven cord, along with most of these japanese canalphones i understand.

only ones i know of that have even cords are the american made ones, such as etymotic and shure.

Dammit, if i'd known that i'd have got them instead of the EX71s!
frown.gif
Ah well, the 71s are doing fine for me anyway.

Jul 26, 2004 at 6:00 AM Post #55 of 99
Features
Steve999
http://www.audiocubes.com/images/aiwa_hpvx100.jpg
New air fix technology allows the in-ear type HP-VX100 to reproduce the same wide range of frequencies (5-25,000 Hz) as closed-type headphones. The soft cushion fits perfectly in the ear, reducing sound leakage
Environmentally friendly non-polyvinyl chloride cord covered with styrene elastomer that doesn't occur dioxin when it is disposed of by burning
Adjustable two-way cord holder is easily adjustable by pulling on one end of the cord. The holder takes up excess cord when the headphones are in use, or holds the entire cord when they are stored in a bag or pocket

Specifications

Type: In-Ear, Dynamic
Driver Unit: 13.5mm diameter
Neodymium Magnet
Cord length: 0.5m (Single) (OFC) (remote friendly)
PlugGold-plated, Stereo Mini straight Plug
Impedance: 16 ohms at 1 kHz
Sensitivity: 107 dB/mW
Power handling capacity: 40mW
Frequency Response: 5 - 25,000Hz
http://www.audiocubes.com/images/aiwa_hpvx100.jpg
HI: I think these sound better than the ex71 and if you have not bought anything yet I will send them to you for free if you pm me.

Jul 26, 2004 at 6:11 AM Post #56 of 99
I just sat down at my desk with the EX71s, instead of where I usually use them (busgym). For listening in a quiet environment when you're not moving i'm sure you can do better - but for gym/commuting they're fine. When i'm still I notice the bass is pretty strong, and the mids are veiled - but i'm comparing with CD3Ks, which isn't really fair ($40 vs $400).

I like 'em for cheap earbuds, but they're obviously not audiophile quality.

Jul 26, 2004 at 12:41 PM Post #57 of 99
Hmmm, you guys are scaring me, okay, maybe I won't buy the fricking things (EX51s or EX71s).

What EXACTLY is the difference in the cord configuration between the EX71s and EX51s? Does anyone know? Do they both have that behind the neck unequal length thing going on?

I do have nice digital EQ in all of my portable and home systems, so I wouldn't be averse to just taking the bass down a little. How's the rest of the spectrum?

Are these THE most comfortable earbuds? That's one reason I've never bought earbuds, cause comfort is a big priority for me with headphone listening. So if these are genuinely comfortable and I can just EQ the bass down...

And let me put it this way... for $40 (or less, obviously), what else is out there that sounds better in any form?

Are these like DT770 bass, or better or worse?
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
Could these be like $40 DT770s?

Honestly, I like to have a little fun with the sound sometimes, I have a sense of humor about it.
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2004 at 1:39 PM Post #58 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve999
Hmmm, you guys are scaring me, okay, maybe I won't buy the fricking things (EX51s or EX71s).

What EXACTLY is the difference in the cord configuration between the EX71s and EX51s? Does anyone know? Do they both have that behind the neck unequal length thing going on?

I do have nice digital EQ in all of my portable and home systems, so I wouldn't be averse to just taking the bass down a little. How's the rest of the spectrum?

Are these THE most comfortable earbuds? That's one reason I've never bought earbuds, cause comfort is a big priority for me with headphone listening. So if these are genuinely comfortable and I can just EQ the bass down...

And let me put it this way... for $40 (or less, obviously), what else is out there that sounds better in any form?

Are these like DT770 bass, or better or worse?
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
Could these be like $40 DT770s?

Honestly, I like to have a little fun with the sound sometimes, I have a sense of humor about it.
wink.gif

You have enough people telling you what to do, but I'll add my little bit anyway.

Firstly, I have the EX71s and the DT770s. (I don't bother putting EX71s in my sig, I don't really think they're good enough to sit there alongside E5s and stuff.) Anyway, the bass on these can't be compared to the DT770s. The DTs are tighter (when amped) and fuller, without the bloated sounds that these deliver.
My experiences with these went like this:
iPod stock
Sony MDR-ED31
Sony MDR-EX71 (x2 - one set was replaced when it got stolen)
Shure E3
Shure E5

Now when I first bought the EX71s, I thought they were the puppy's privates. In comparison to the iPod stocks, a lot of things sound good. Anyway, I was happy with these for about 3 weeks. Then I started to hear songs that I knew had certain sounds in them, and I just wasn't hearing those sounds. So I upgraded to E3s. There was no comparison, the E3s were all over the EX71s like a wet rash. Since then, I've let my girlfriend use the EX71s. She doesn't care about cans much, and the 71s are better than the stocks that came with her MuVo NX.

The point here is that you're getting what you pay for. They're only $33 on amazon with free shipping. They're not going to be audiophile quality, but they're sure as hell gonna be better than most stock buds. So if you want some cheap cans for excercise and stuff, you could do a lot worse than these. If you want some buds that are going to fight off upgraditis, or give you the absolute best sound you can find for a reasonable price, then these can be beaten, off the top of my head I'd say Shure E2 offer the best price/sound ratio (yes, I have heard them, before anyone gets annoyed for commenting on cans I don't have.)
Long story short, they're not as bad as some are making out, but they're not gonna make you get rid of any high end phones you have. They do their job, they're a little bloated in the low end, and a little sibilant too. But for 30 bucks, what do you want?

Jul 26, 2004 at 1:51 PM Post #59 of 99
Good stuff. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorjuggles
You have enough people telling you what to do, but I'll add my little bit anyway...

Long story short, they're not as bad as some are making out, but they're not gonna make you get rid of any high end phones you have. They do their job, they're a little bloated in the low end, and a little sibilant too. But for 30 bucks, what do you want?

Jul 26, 2004 at 2:39 PM Post #60 of 99
I knew that the cords go behind my neck, i just didn't like the fact that they were uneven. I liked the Shure E2 design where you can tighten them with the thingy on the cord, especially because they didn't flop around when i was jogging. I'm getting used to it though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back