The EX71 thread -- intrigued by Sony EX71s -- what do you know about them?
Oct 16, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #91 of 99
I tried out the EX51's for a few minutes when I first got them, and they sounded horrible, so I burned them in for 24 hours. I haven't noticed much of a change since that initial burn-in period, but it could be a gradual change. As far as amp usage goes, I never thought the EX51/71's would get much of an improvement, if any, from an amp. Have you tried them without the amp now that they've been burned in for the ~160 hours?

Oct 16, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #92 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
I tried out the EX51's for a few minutes when I first got them, and they sounded horrible, so I burned them in for 24 hours. I haven't noticed much of a change since that initial burn-in period, but it could be a gradual change. As far as amp usage goes, I never thought the EX51/71's would get much of an improvement, if any, from an amp. Have you tried them without the amp now that they've been burned in for the ~160 hours?

Yes I did try them without the amp and while there was a marked improvement in the sound quality I think it was the Supermini that gave them the juice they needed to really show what they can do, this little amp has been known to drive HD 650's with ease, "Sbulack" has also had excellent results with his Go Vibe.

Oct 16, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #94 of 99
i have to say i have the 51 and they come in 3 different sized plugs. one of the medium plug came out in my pocket. So i think i'll get replacments. Anywaz the sound on them isn't all that spectacular. Especially compared to my HD 280, the mid bass is better but the low bass is just heavy vibration to me. 280 captures different low bass extensions but the sony doesn't seem to do have variety although it has a lot of bass.

I'm gonna get the e6i when they fix the earplug problem and see how they compare. I'll return the e6i if its not significantly better.

what is the return policy for headroom?

Oct 16, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #96 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
Headroom have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

awesome.. i'l compare the two when i get them, seems like the revised e6i will come out november

Oct 16, 2004 at 6:48 AM Post #97 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by lee0539
awesome.. i'l compare the two when i get them, seems like the revised e6i will come out november

They've been out for a couple of months. Right now Etymotic are making a second edition, which corrects a minor problem. I can't remember when they'll be out, it's posted somewhere around here.

Oct 16, 2004 at 9:45 AM Post #98 of 99
It's amazing how a little pair of buds can generate so many comments.
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2004 at 10:06 AM Post #99 of 99
I posted this in another thread that sank under the murky waters here yesterday, but it fits in nicely here: Quote:

I have been a pretty strong advocate of the Sony EX71s since they came out...

My pair have got (i'd say) about 1,500 hours on them now (4hrs round trip commuting each day, bit of a killer! not to mention when I go out on the weekend) and they're really not as bad as some people make out...

The over zealous bass can be countered by using (most modern) portable equipment with a thin bass output, and to me the treble - maybe by virtue of the amount of hours i've put on them, is not peaky at all (although I remember back when new, that I did think they sounded sharp)

Not as good as my Senn PX250 for portable sound but for the price, considerably more considerate for other people on the bus, and surprisingly efficient at their relative noise cancellation.

A positive plus for me.

Although, the EX70 - to me did, and does have boosted bass that gives me a bass headache with extended listening
frown.gif

An additional footnote, I have had the ETY ER4P in the past, and its just such a pain with the whole insertion technique thing, whereas the Sonys can just be pushed in (and pulled out) really quickly... Sound quality, whilst important ultimately (hey, thats why we're all here after all) cannot come before ease of use whilst out on the road for me...

Maybe its all in the fit, who knows
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and before everyone says to try the Senn MX line-up, I have both the MX400 and MX500, and both sound very dull in the treble, zero life there at all, unless i take the foamies off, and then the bass evapourates - guess that is an issue with me, and fit...

and the most annoying factor of all with 'conventional' earbuds... try sitting on a bus / train where there are half a dozen people with their open air earbuds, all trying to beat each other on the volume stakes... its days like those where canalphones are a blessing!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back