The EX71 thread -- intrigued by Sony EX71s -- what do you know about them?
Jul 22, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #16 of 99
The EX71's get as much praise as getting pissed on around here. Strange. I always felt that the fit was the key with these little buds. I do like mine and they're way more practical than the 888's.

Jul 22, 2004 at 9:24 PM Post #17 of 99
IMNSHO. Very comfy, horrible Sound.

Jul 22, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #18 of 99
I've had these for almost a year now. They were my first good headphones/earphones and before I ever found this forum. I still listen to them a lot. They are very comfortable (personally) and I think they sound pretty good. They were the best I had heard till I got my PortaPro2 (yeah, I know... it's not a canalphone). I've seen them at Circuit City for like $50 or $60. Way overpriced! If you take a look at Amazon.com you'll see that they're around $32... I did that... they use to be over $45 there and I bothered them for a week straight till they price matched a whole bunch of other little places on the net... and they have free shipping (I love price matching). Well, I'd recommend them even though I haven't tried the Shures or Ety's. They just groove and they are good for when I'm studying... blocks out the people around me. Well, Good luck.

Jul 22, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #19 of 99
Apparently I'm the only one, but I find the E3c more comfortable than the 71. The 71 was too big for my left ear, and caused discomfort after wearing for 10 minutes. On the Shures, the piece that enters your ear is narrower, and I haven't had any problems with them.

ps - The sound is way better in the Shures too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2004 at 11:09 PM Post #20 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by imn8
The 71 was too big for my left ear, and caused discomfort after wearing for 10 minutes.

Which tip did you use? If you think even the smallest is too big for your ears, then I don't think ANY canalphone would work for you...

The EX71s are a "meh" pair of 'phones for me... I really liked the first pair I had, but after it broke and I ordered another, the second (my current) pair exhibit all the problems people point out much more than the first did.

I still use them because they're so practical as portable phones... you can take them out and put them in and get a decent seal very easily compared to others, and it's very comfortable.

~KS

Jul 22, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #21 of 99
For those that find the bass too boomy and overpowering on the EX71s...if you haven't already tried this, try placing a bit of tape over those 3 little holes on the back of the buds, i.e. the once famous "tape mod" back when the EX70 was hot. It worked wonders with the EX70's, drastically tightening the bass and reducing the boominess...it might work yet again with the EX71s.
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #22 of 99
I use EX71SL's with a Headsave Go-Vibe at work and I am very happy with the comfort and the sound that I am getting and with the price that I paid. I find the bass to be full and NOT boomy. The mids are downright sweet. Particular treble sounds CAN be on the harsh side, and that is lessening over time. I'm very happy with the EX71SL's.

Jul 23, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #24 of 99
I do have another question, with those silocon things you put in your ears, do they ever wear out? Do they get slimy grimy and do you need to clean them? Do they get grody? Is it hard to buy more of them?

Also, given that the isolation is less than the ETYs and the Shures, is the EX71 isolation still pretty good, better than a typical closed full-sized headphone?

Thanks everyone for the feedback. What I am seeing is just differences is preference, I think. The descriptions of the sound from both sides have been very helpful.
smily_headphones1.gif

FWIW, the Linkwitz fellow who likes the EX71s (as well as the Shure E2Cs and the ETY 4S) is not exactly what you'd call a lightweight:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

Lemme know what you think after you've make through the 15,900 links.
wink.gif

I found a couple shops in DC today, one with the EX71s and one with the EX51s. I talked with one guy who owns the EX51s who was very happy with them ("they're the most awesome earbuds ever"). He said the EX71s and EX51s are the same except the EX71s have an extension cord and a cord coming out of each ear.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, how could you not have a cord coming out of each ear with the EX51s? I guess I don't quite understand.
tongue.gif

Jul 23, 2004 at 1:52 AM Post #25 of 99
I just tried it... the EX71s have better isolation than my A900s, but still the Shures/Etys have quite a lot more.

You can clean the silicon bits... or buy new ones if they wear out.

And dammit I wish I had the 51s over the 71s! That extension cord's kinda annoying in the gym. I just want a normal cord like the one on my sony earbuds.

Jul 23, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #26 of 99
Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback.
cool.gif
That's all very helpful as far as making a purchasing decision. Hmmm... maybe I should go for the EX51s. Anyone know of any way the EX51s are less convenient than the EX71s? I don't use a remote with my portables.

Is it easy to find the replacement silicon buds if you need or want to buy another pair? Are they expensive?

I've printed out the specs for both the EX51 and the EX71 from the SonyStyle site and will obsess over them for a little while.
biggrin.gif

BTW, it seems really obvious from the specs that the EX71s and EX51s are the same headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
I just tried it... the EX71s have better isolation than my A900s, but still the Shures/Etys have quite a lot more.

You can clean the silicon bits... or buy new ones if they wear out.

And dammit I wish I had the 51s over the 71s! That extension cord's kinda annoying in the gym. I just want a normal cord like the one on my sony earbuds.

Jul 23, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #27 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve999
Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback.
cool.gif
That's all very helpful as far as making a purchasing decision. Hmmm... maybe I should go for the EX51s. Anyone know of any way the EX51s are less convenient than the EX71s? I don't use a remote with my portables.

Is it easy to find the replacement silicon buds if you need or want to buy another pair? Are they expensive?

I've printed out the specs for both the EX51 and the EX71 from the SonyStyle site and will obsess over them for a little while.
biggrin.gif

BTW, it seems really obvious from the specs that the EX71s and EX51s are the same headphones.

$10 from audiocubes, and from other sites too - froogle can probably find them.

Jul 23, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #28 of 99
Quote:

Gee, I was just about to buy the EX71's for working out at the gym.
rolleyes.gif
Perhaps the EX51's will better fit into the situation?

But I notice now that the EX51's offer only 2 sizes of buds, while the 71's offer three. Also, the 71's have a carrying case.

A $10 difference, where should i go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back