The Etymotics HF5 Thread
Apr 4, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #316 of 567
^ microphonics are not very good,downside,when walking (usually i walk quite fast) ,i have to block and stick the cable very tightly on my t-shirt or my sling backpack to avoiding unpleasant noise,but the most part i am using it,i a bus,no problem.
anyway due to the extreme passive isolation,when i walk i can clearly feel all vibration due to my foots stepping on the street,or if i beat my and on my chest (for example),probably because the body movement and vibration transmit all this to the ear bone conduction as it is completely in contact to the ety`s tips.
Salute
Listening to : Rock It , Sub Focus

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #317 of 567
Quote:
^ microphonics are not very good,downside,when walking (usually i walk quite fast) ,i have to block and stick the cable very tightly on my t-shirt or my sling backpack to avoiding unpleasant noise,but the most part i am using it,i a bus,no problem.
anyway due to the extreme passive isolation,when i walk i can clearly feel all vibration due to my foots stepping on the street,or if i beat my and on my chest (for example),probably because the body movement and vibration transmit all this to the ear bone conduction as it is completely in contact to the ety`s tips.
Salute
Listening to : Rock It , Sub Focus

Thanks a lot!

May 9, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #318 of 567
Just got them! Damn they are revealing, I had the UE700 which is kinda similar but not as revealing. Some songs sound like crap on these HF5's and I love it! I liked the UE700 more though, the highs were a bit better. But the build sucked, distortion at higher levels and terrible cables which kept breaking. Oh and the HF5 had more bass than the UE700, which surprised me. The bass is more then enough. Using the foams btw, the 3 flang did not cut it. 

May 17, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #320 of 567
Damn, but these things are good. I really can't find a single thing to nitpick about the sound. I used to use my SR80s with my iPod sometimes at home; now I won't bother anymore. The HF5 has everything the Grados have and less (i.e. no peakiness in the upper mids).

The cable is stiffer and more microphonic than the MC5's, though. Not only is the shirt clip required, but also cinching the cord up pretty close to my ears to keep it off my collar.

May 23, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #322 of 567
Just wondering how an e10 would fare with these excellent headphones?

Was messing around with EQ settings in Foobar the other day and got a fairly good bass improvement, but almost seemed bloated?  Anyways, I ordered a e10 thinking that since these are pretty easy to drive the e10 might give the slight bass improvement I am looking for, albeit tighter and punchier than the EQ adjusted bass.

I obviously like to buy first and ask questions later :D

Also I was curious to the improvement ANY dac would make vs a sound card.

Thanks in advance.

May 24, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #325 of 567
do these things ever pop up on sale.....been meaning to get a pair for like a year now ***
You just missed the $99 deal that I got- keep watching Amazon, no doubt that (or an even better price, see Weekend Warrior above) will pop up again at some point. For some reason it's usually the cobalt color that goes on sale there. Luckily it's a nice color. :wink:

May 24, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #326 of 567
Quote:
Qetuol,you are welcome in joining the community,put an eye on your wallet,just in case it decide to escape!!

thanks. and let me share my equipment: 

i listen to music with my mobile phone nexus s, which features a quality wolfson dac. i use music player Neutron. also have installed voodoo sound plus.

first, when i plugged hf5, i was... omg, there is no bass. after a month sometimes i can notice even too strong bass lol. i think it needs burn in, in spite its armature earphone. to me the best tip is the foam tip. 

edit: oh, and one more thing. the best is, i can listen to higher volumes, without feeling "its too loud, its hurting my ears"

May 28, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #327 of 567
qetuol ,having the opportunity to agree with your thoughts,it comes in mind an opinion that i shall share with the thread,hoping to be received as not so as subjective experience (witch i think is not so,at least in this case,cause at the end all ears work the same way,especially when characteristic perceived are more clear then subtle):for those who are neutral head with tight budget,and want to hear the bass when the same should be there,go ahead,buy the HF5`s.
al thought may in some metal recordings the bass drum could be a little more present,for electronics music the bass is there,the bass is there!
Salute

May 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #328 of 567
Quote:
qetuol ,having the opportunity to agree with your thoughts,it comes in mind an opinion that i shall share with the thread,hoping to be received as not so as subjective experience (witch i think is not so,at least in this case,cause at the end all ears work the same way,especially when characteristic perceived are more clear then subtle):for those who are neutral head with tight budget,and want to hear the bass when the same should be there,go ahead,buy the HF5`s.
al thought may in some metal recordings the bass drum could be a little more present,for electronics music the bass is there,the bass is there!
Salute

agreed, however, its also important how is the track mastered. only few people know, that in studios the technician mixes the track for a given audio equipment. some early metal music cues sounds awfully, they are just not mastered for hf5. currently listening to Imaginaerum by Nightwish, and there is not a single bit of bass missing.

May 28, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #329 of 567
My HF5s have bass extension that my Grado SR80s can only dream of. (A fact easily visible on frequency response curves.)

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #330 of 567
New HF5 owner here. I'm not an audiophile but I just bought a Cowon J3 and I wanted to find a good pair of earphones to go along with it. I wanted something clear where I could hear the entire range of music without any one sound overpowering another. I knew there had to be better offerings than what was in stock at the local Best Buy so I started searching for information which led me to this site.

After reading tons of impressions and reviews, I settled on the Etymotic HF5. It was just a bit above my price range only because I told myself not to go crazy and buy $200 earphones. I got them a few days ago and they sound exactly like they have been described, very clear and detailed neutral sound across the board. Now I understand more what constitues a "cold" and "analytical" sound. It's great for most types of music, rock, pop, classical, and jazz. The bass being light and punchy, it's decent enough for bass heavy music such as rap but it would disappoint those who like a lot of bass. I also liked that I don't need an amp like the PK1 and it didn't have some odd adapter like the RE-Zero.

I'm very happy about my purchase and wanted to say thanks to everyone that posts their thoughts and ideas to help newbies such as myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back