The Etymotics HF5 Thread
Feb 3, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #301 of 567
Oh, I thought the newer cord w/ banana plug would be more durable. Guess I'll take extra care of my HF5.

It is more durable, and is still very durable. But everything is bound to break after a long time. Mine is still in absolute perfect condition after 1 year. I listen for about 1 hour every day, at least.

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #302 of 567
hi folks around here.
i have been reading a lot in this thread and i am convinced right know i am going to buy the HF5 because the performance and the price are about the money i can afford.
as i live in Brazil it is very hard to buy electronics here (normally any electric product price cost as twice than U.S.,if you find it before),so i going to buy from amazon ,so one shoot...
the point i am asking an advise to my fellow head-fiers is, that if there is a way to measure the size of my ears?
cause i am going to buy a 5 pair of shure olives sleeves to be sure to have all the option available to reach the etymotics soundness,but im not sure witch size to buy,been looking a lot about some self measurement on the net and here but did not find something satisfactory.
normally i was using my sony expl50 with the medium tips,but ,you never know ,i cant make the wrong buy.
thanks for the help
best regards,

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #303 of 567
I use Sony green (medium) hybrid tips with my GR07s, and medium Shure olives with my HF5s.

I hope this was of some help......

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #304 of 567
thanks CJ,
although im not desperately needing a technical audiological diagnosis,i am just doing some extra research because i cant return any product as im not living in the us,just a straight buy,i think i have medium ears but you know a too much info is never enough.i use to listen to a walkman a818 (great player) and the earphones it comes within if i remember was the mxrlp30,and using the medium tip.
does somebody has tried to do an reinforcement cable project?those earphones must last a lot of time ahead,so i am planning to do some work to prolong the cable life...

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #305 of 567
thanks CJ,
although im not desperately needing a technical audiological diagnosis,i am just doing some extra research because i cant return any product as im not living in the us,just a straight buy,i think i have medium ears but you know a too much info is never enough.i use to listen to a walkman a818 (great player) and the earphones it comes within if i remember was the mxrlp30,and using the medium tip.
does somebody has tried to do an reinforcement cable project?those earphones must last a lot of time ahead,so i am planning to do some work to prolong the cable life...

Maybe wait to get the HF5's before you buy the olives? You can decide whether or not you really need new tips, and if you do, you can say which size tips you use, and we can tell which size we use of the olives.

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #306 of 567
seems reasonable!
Pompwnius, i assume the play metal quite well,dont you?
cant wait to hear them with my Reign in Blood vinyl flac encoded!!!
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #307 of 567
seems reasonable!
Pompwnius, i assume the play metal quite well,dont you?
cant wait to hear them with my Reign in Blood vinyl flac encoded!!!:D

They do play metal very well, maybe the best under $100 for metal. They do need some brain burn in though. At first I thought it sounded muddy, with no instrument separation whatsoever, but now I absolutely love them ^.^

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #308 of 567
I just got mine 30 minutes ago. Um... wow. First expensive headphone purchase I've ever made.

There is a ton of bass. At first, there wasn't any bass, and then I switched to the foam earplugs. Now the bass is strong. 

I wasn't expecting this full of a sound.

I'm one happy camper! Except, uh, my 128 kbps songs suck now. Here goes to more $$$ to get higher bitrate songs :wink:

Edit: HAHA I just heard a plane, yes an AIRPLANE in the background as it flew over the artists house as he was recording!

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #310 of 567
I've been listening to my cobalt hf5's for a while.  I gotta say i really appreciate the precision and airiness of the sound. One complaint i have is of the tip options, but I cannibalized the rubber sleeve to the memory foam tips and now I can slip on monster supertips onto those with no problem at all. 

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #311 of 567

Quote:
Maybe wait to get the HF5's before you buy the olives? You can decide whether or not you really need new tips, and if you do, you can say which size tips you use, and we can tell which size we use of the olives.

+1 for you might not need foams. I get best results with flanged tips. I moved to black olives (that I had from other endeavours) on TripFis and ER6 when I eventually lost my flanged tips, and was never as happy with them. Currently getting great seal and sound from the triflanges on the HF5.

These things don't cease to amaze me. For substantially fewer dollars than most hifi gear, they make some amazing music, and they scale incredibly well for something that plays well with portables. I run them off a portable amp when hooked up to the PC at work, and they play deep and clear.

I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for them if they came with more durable cables, though... not surprised to read others are having issues.

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #313 of 567
love the hf5's! Does anyone else here find them warm when used with the triple flanges and cold with anything else? I also find that they are cold with the klipsch ovals. For that reason I've never used the other tips asides from the first time.

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #314 of 567
Man i liking my hf5 very much too,found them at 95 buck on amazon,nice deal indeed.
btw i did not find too much difference between the triflanges and the shure olives i brought together from a `fier recommendation to be sure i would find at least one tip comfortable if my ears would not adapt to invasive tips,and in theory the olives would last more.
the triflanges offer a little more isolation (wow!!what isolation!) and little more incisive bass,although not overwhelming ,obviously;but i get some days to get used to them.
i dont find them and all normal tips giving their armature sound any warmness,even my zip+pav2v witch i pair with are not exactly absolute neutral.
the nice thing i find is that i dont find its highs and treble not excessive ,as two or more real experienced fellow around here find it to;extremely cristal clear and not fatiguing,at least ,to my ears.
Salute
listening to:Emalkaway - When i look at you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back