The Etymotics HF5 Thread
Mar 11, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #481 of 567
Hi,

Great thread here ! :)

I am new in this thread and have a question before buying a pair of HF5s...

I am using a rockboxed version of the Sansa Zip Clip and would like to ask whether
it would work with the Etymotics HF5?

Thank you very much in advance !
Best regards,
mcc

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #482 of 567
  Hi,

Great thread here ! :)

I am new in this thread and have a question before buying a pair of HF5s...

I am using a rockboxed version of the Sansa Zip Clip and would like to ask whether
it would work with the Etymotics HF5?

Thank you very much in advance !
Best regards,
mcc

This combo works excellent. Clip Zip has lots of power for this highly efficient IEM. Rockbox's PEQ can be useful in taming the upper mids hump, too.

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #483 of 567
Hi headdict,

great ! :)
Tnanks for the good news -> I ordered a pair of Etymotics HF5 (black) from www.thomann.de.

Now I am a little bit in trouble...
Thomann added the HF5 to their product list in March 2015.
The HF5 need small filter (ACCU-something) to separate the good from the bad and ugly. Thomann do not sell them (yet?). I talked
to them today and they will send me an information about the availability when available (the information in this case...not necessarily
the filters).

While I am waiting for my HF5s some questions are nagging me:
-- Does anyone had to make the experience of leaving the flanges,gliders,complies,foam and what else one tends to push into her/his ear
behind when trying to pull out the HF5 again and only gets the bare body of the HF5 out?
-- If I really will experience the bad luck, that the cerumen filters will not be available neither via Thomann nor via anyone else in Germany...:
Is there I way to refresh/clean them without risking to harm the HF5 (I read something about peroxide, nylons, "forget the filters", "dont
forget the filter", "Idont change them at all", "I have to change them twice in a year" -- whats the truth?) ?
-- Is falling asleep with the HF5 in the ears dangerous for me and my ears and for the HF5?

I am sure that I will remember the rest of the question if I had hit the "SEND" button...
:wink:

Best regards!
mcc

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #484 of 567

This combo works excellent. Clip Zip has lots of power for this highly efficient IEM. Rockbox's PEQ can be useful in taming the upper mids hump, too.

Yes, I agree. I prefer my Clip over using my JDS labs C5D with my HF5. I don't think I'm going to bother with any other portable DAC/amp since the Clip sounds great.

-sheldon

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #485 of 567
Hi sheldonkreger,

sorry for asking...I am no native English speaker... :)
:

"Yes, I agree. I prefer my Clip over using my JDS labs C5D with my HF5"

means

You prefer to use your Clip more than using your JDS labs C5D with your HF5?
Or do you mean the electrical connection like
You prefer tou use your CLip connected to your JDS labs C5D connected to your HF5?
...but then...since you write "prefer"...you prefer this setup more then...what?
And headdict wrote "Clip Zip has lots of power for this highly efficient IEM" why a amplifier then?

I am sure the only problem here is me sitting in front of my keyboard and misunderstanding everything....:wink:

I am confused...

HELP! 8) :wink: :)

Best regards,
mcc

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #486 of 567
I prefer to use the Clip alone, without the C5D. 

I bought a C5D because it has both a DAC and and amp. It colors the sound in a way I didn't like, no matter what kind of headphones I used. Running my HF5 with the Clip alone is very neutral and clear, which I prefer.

The gain and bass boost features on the C5D were not useful for me. In fact, I thought they sounded awful -with the HF5 or any other headphone I tried. 

Hope that helps!

-sheldon

Mar 22, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #487 of 567
Hi sheldonkreger, hi all,

sorry for the delayed reply...my head was full with oth
er things..Thanks for the "translation" into my limited
"space of English words", sheldonkreger! :)

I finally git mny HF5 yesterday.
WHAT A NICE PIECE OF TECHNOLOGY!

The sound is superb! After some bad experiences with other inears
this is the first one, for which I dont have to fiddle with the equalizer and which
bass is warming up my ears instead of punching into my stomach... :wink:

I connected the HF5 directly to my Sansa Clip ZIP and it works wonderfully!
But it seems to "drink directly" from the internal accumulator...I can see
the "battery percentage" dropping constantly (I am using rockbox, self compiled
and directly from the developpers repository).

Are there certain (weak?) things, for which I have especially to take care of while handling
the HF5 ???

Thank you very much in advance and a BIG THANK YOU into this
forum for pointing me to the Etymotocs HF5!
Best regards,
mcc

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #491 of 567
Another HF5 user here :D

I really love these IEMs, trying to compare it with Fidue A83 or Westone W30, HF5 are still the best for me. I use 2 main sources, but as both has a little downsides I've tried some experiments, last from yesterday :)

First source I use and Im really happy with is Fiio X3, it has really lot of power and with little V(B+1, T+1) on "analog" tuning HF5 sounds really great. But you know, everybody wants more than he has. So I tried to make DIY impedance adapter for HF5 as there is similar adapter in package with ER4. 47Ohms on each channel should be enough, and it is. I had to tune the bass on X3 one step up and increase volume 50->70 but the result was perfect, there is almost black baground, soundstage opened a bit and all instruments now sounds more focused.

Second source(s) are my iDevices, most of the time iPhone. It has not bad HO, but really not the best one :D So I finally tried Sound Blaster E3 and for the price of it, really great improvement over the iDevices HO. E5 would be even better but for my portable purposes too big.

So these are my 5 cents :D

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #492 of 567
Im using my HF5 with my Cayin C5 amp and the improvement is dramatic. Bass is soooo much better with bass boost and the mids and highs are much smoother. I recommend the Cayin C5 to hf5 owners! 

Am using it with a 7th gen Ipod classic

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #493 of 567
I took a different path from most people. Usually, people start with the entry level model, in Ety's case, the mc and hf series. But I got my ER4P&S many years ago and recently, I went bonkers and bought a hf3 and mc3. I think the hf series are very good for the money, a slightly strip down ER4P, no regrets getting them but the mc3 is forgettable.

Aug 26, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #494 of 567
How this fo ipod shuffle?) and mp3. And for fable 2 ost and neoclassic piano Takanashi Yasuharu, Yoshihisa Hirano, Shirō Sagisu, Akira Yamaoka. And What about convenience compared to shure se215(i do not like)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back