The Etymotics HF5 Thread
Jan 19, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #541 of 567
Can someone please do a comparison of these against the R-50? I am definitely stuck between the 2, although I do prefer wearing my monitors down rather than over-the-ear.
ph34r.gif

Jan 20, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #542 of 567
In the end, the goo came off with the help of some isopropanol.

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #543 of 567
I'm through my 4th or 5th pair now - still going strong. OMG, it was ca. 8 years ago that I got the first one!

Over the many years I had one pair replaced under warranty because the stem broke (probably due to my too forceful removing of the Shure olives) and another one because the isolation and consequently the wire broke at the connection point to the speaker. That seem to be the weak point over extended (several years) use - I have now 2 pairs in the drawer with the same fault, both out of warranty.

Still loving them - I use typically Comply Foam's filter tips, so the ety filters need very rarely be changed. If I need top isolation, I use the rubbery large 3-flanged tips (though the foams are also very good isolators) I clock in several 100k airmiles, so isolation is very important. If I fall asleep with them, they are a good replacement for the foam earplugs I'd otherwise use for overnight flights.

SQ is top notch - I like the flat response. I don't understand the whining about lack of bass. Insert correctly (what you'd do anyway to get the isolation) and the bass is there. No, they won't make your stomach resonate, but hey, these are IEMs, not concert PAs!

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #544 of 567
Yes. The only time I saw that with earphones.
I used an old HTC provided earbuds, and exchanged the wires.
This is possible if the wires you use (like HTC) have the standard coloring.
Otherwise, lots of trial and error.
Also, at the end you need to reinforce the wires, otherwise they will be torn.
I used thick wiring from an old computer cable. The resule is not beautiful, but
it is much more resilient than the original, and, now I have a speaker and a control
button (on the HF5).

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #546 of 567
Any experience with cable durability? I'm itch to recable it, I like how the cable is light and not too thick but it's curly as hell and won't go straight even after some times.

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #549 of 567
I suppose you wear them cable down. With cables over the ears I hear no cable noise whatsoever. Much better than any shallow fit solution in this respect.

I've tried the cable over the ears. In general I prefer the over the ear fit with iems, but with the HF5s I just don't find it works all that well. it's too fiddly &, unless the slider very tight, the cable is unstable behind my ears and can pop out quite easily. Perhaps if I kept it up, the cables would eventually conform a bit.

The best method for me at the moment is just bringing cable up front & around the back of my neck.

Mar 24, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #550 of 567
I use it over the ear, yes they conform your ear eventually. Compared to IEM with short insertion my Hf5 is the least microphonic actually. My foot step vibration are greatly damped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back