The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
Sep 20, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #1,501 of 2,130
That's a ridiculous statement, given the thousands of people who own and love their EtherRegens. I have an exaSound e32 Mk-II, hardly entry level. I have two audiophile friends who own EtherRegens, one has the Mola Mola Tambaqui, the other a Lumin X1. Look elsewhere to find the problem in your system.

Clearly you are just trolling.
Its soulles. Too dry. Afterdark X1 beats it by far. Too MY PREFERENCE.

A generic switch does not alter/locks the sound character as the ER does. You have to love the ER “forced” sound to love it. Many people like attention/charming/forced sound. Its a too static lifeless sound for me.

Sep 20, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #1,502 of 2,130
Many people like attention/charming/forced sound. Its a too static lifeless sound for me.
I am on Audiophile Style, What's Best Forum and Head-Fi daily. I pay close attention to EtherRegen threads. The overwhelming consensus among reviewers and users is that the ER is brilliant, and a major bargain. There are a handful I have read about who didn't think the ER was worth the cost, or even that it did not do anything in their system. But I can honestly say that I have never heard anyone who holds your negative opinion.

I've had several switches in my system; three generics, a Silent Angel N8 (which I still use), a Silent Angel N16, and the LHY SW-10. The ER bests all but the SW-10 for sound quality. The ER can sound less good than the SW-10, or better, depending on power supply and cabling, however getting it to the SW-10 level narrows the cost differential. The new ER is expected to be even better, many are anxiously waiting for its debut, it will be sold out for a long time once it becomes available.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #1,503 of 2,130
I am on Audiophile Style, What's Best Forum and Head-Fi daily. I pay close attention to EtherRegen threads. The overwhelming consensus among reviewers and users is that the ER is brilliant, and a major bargain. There are a handful I have read about who didn't think the ER was worth the cost, or even that it did not do anything in their system. But I can honestly say that I have never heard anyone who holds your negative opinion.

I've had several switches in my system; three generics, a Silent Angel N8 (which I still use), a Silent Angel N16, and the LHY SW-10. The ER bests all but the SW-10 for sound quality. The ER can sound less good than the SW-10, or better, depending on power supply and cabling, however getting it to the SW-10 level narrows the cost differential. The new ER is expected to be even better, many are anxiously waiting for its debut, it will be sold out for a long time once it becomes available.
Ok. apologize. My impressions are not facts. Just opinion. Disconnecting the ER(3 different psu, INT/EXT) made the music more free, not monotome*. To be more specific it did not work in my setup as expected.

ISP FMC(iFi Elite) - WAN - > Luxul switch - WAN -> Netgate 2100 Router(stock shiitty SMPS) -> LAN - Pink Faun(Isolator) -> ADX1 PCIe card ... is the best configuration for me so far.

Tight bass crispy full bodied high notes, blackness black background. Most importantly the music feels free, like I remember the DI20HE was doing before the ER = 3D

*there is some weird thing going on in the lowend( "boosted" floating notes/layer), while the high notes are locked like a Delta sigma. Its soo static sounding in my setup.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #1,504 of 2,130
Yes, but using UTP 5e cable instead of shielded cables reduce HF voltage on the barrier.
Where is that barrier?
Is the HF voltage floating on the shielded cat8 Ethernet Cable RJ45 male connector(supra in my case) or on the ifi lan iSilencers female input or both in between?

And why is that a problem if the ifi lan iSilencer isolate streamer from that? I guess nothing is fullproof.

Sep 21, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #1,505 of 2,130
Where is that barrier?
Is the HF voltage floating on the shielded cat8 Ethernet Cable RJ45 male connector(supra in my case) or on the ifi lan iSilencers female input or both in between?

And why is that a problem if the ifi lan iSilencer isolate streamer from that? I guess nothing is fullproof.
Dealing with electric energy is difficult, as it easy converts from one form to another. Allowing a current flowing freely (low resistance) do not reduce energy, it reaches destignation easily in the original form. Creating barrier for a current do not reduce energy either, it is converted to electromagnetic field. So what is the best approach? Dissipate noise energy, before it reaches protected area, then try to isolate.

Dissipate, how? Any energy source can be described by two components: an electic force (measured as open circuit voltage) and internal resistance. There is a formula given in the primary school for a maximum transfer of energy in such model. It happens when a load resistance is equal the internal resistance of a source. But it means that in the best case only 50% source energy can be dissipated internally. It means as you say no a single full proof solution.

A solution needs a coordinated action, shielded cable is considered a mistake.

Sep 22, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #1,507 of 2,130
Interesting review of lhy clock and sw 6 switch:
https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/lhy-audio-sw-10/
That’s quite interesting indeed thanks, not least that he ended up with a network chain not dissimilar to mine - two switches + two LAN isolators, SW-8, Netgear and Ifi x 2 in my case. Though in contrast to Srajan I find the optical isolation of super budget AliX FMCs with a Topping LPS in between the two switches very clearly improves things further, as does chassis grounding both switches to a ground box along with fo.Q vibration damping on the FMCs and both switches. I find the SW-8 a class above the Netgear (whether fed from an Ifi Power X or a Lifepo4 12v battery), so with the SW-6 presumably another notch up again in Srajan’s setup I can imagine the ‘cleanup’ by the optical link is less needed for his all LHY chain. Makes me a little SW-6 curious, I do wish Srajan had swapped the SW-6 and 8’s relative positions to see if there was any delta… perhaps he did, I should ask him.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #1,508 of 2,130
While at some times i might have doubted if the Ethernet tweaks i have done in the past was placebo or not. I am 100% convinced though that what the ifi lan iSilencer did to improve sound quality with my streamer is not placebo it is too obvious.

I like how it makes the audio sound more powerfull almost like slightly increased volume. Voices sound stronger + what i said about it in previous posts about it.

How i would rank my Ethernet tweaks sound improvement.
1. Ifi lan iSilencer connected to streamer.
2. Replacing the router and switch generic psu with ifi ipowerx.
3. About the same with: Supra cat8 Ethernet cable replacing generic cat5e.
3.Introducing switch after router.
3.Connecting router/switch to better quality Powerconditioner vs generic powerstrip.

Sep 23, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #1,509 of 2,130
While at some times i might have doubted if the Ethernet tweaks i have done in the past was placebo or not. I am 100% convinced though that what the ifi lan iSilencer did to improve sound quality with my streamer is not placebo it is too obvious.

I like how it makes the audio sound more powerfull almost like slightly increased volume. Voices sound stronger + what i said about it in previous posts about it.

How i would rank my Ethernet tweaks sound improvement.
1. Ifi lan iSilencer connected to streamer.
2. Replacing the router and switch generic psu with ifi ipowerx.
3. About the same with: Supra cat8 Ethernet cable replacing generic cat5e.
3.Introducing switch after router.
3.Connecting router/switch to better quality Powerconditioner vs generic powerstrip.
And you havent even done the biggest improvement tweek yet of using FMCs.

Sep 24, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #1,511 of 2,130
For those using one iSilencer, the consensus seems to be that it’s employed at the router rather than at the streamer?
It is deployed at the source of noise. The best practice.

Sep 24, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #1,513 of 2,130
Sajunky keeps one in his mouth! 😂😂
Jokes!!
Smell of toothpaste and civilised! At least it doesn't come out of my ass. Any reason in support of your emissions?

Sep 24, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #1,515 of 2,130
I use the ifi AC purifier for that! 😂
At the source. :)
Not at your end, LOL, but a source, proving a case you are trying to oppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back