The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
Sep 1, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #1,486 of 2,208
I see you already have a setup with dedicated WiFi bridge. AX86U works as a wired network adapter on the receiving side. A similar topology of using cheap $15 WiFi N-300 extenders (which I recommend all the time), but with more configuration options and you use it. Good work, still a half way.

By this I want to say, AX6000 has a feature called "WiFi guest network". It is technically a VLAN over WiFi with a simplified setup. I suggest to enable this feature for a dedicated bridge connection, as it will isolate Internet streaming from your home network traffic. This is what you want!

Now about your main streamer wired connection with multiple switches. On the AX6000 create VLAN with DHCP option and enable on this port. Use the "access port" (untagged) option, so you can still use unmanaged switches for getting rid of ground loops. In this case don't plug any other devices to these switches, as such device will become a part of a VLAN, not a home LAN. The only difference is that with VLAN capable switch you can select on the AX6000 "trunk port" (tagged) option and on the switch utilise other ports for home network use.
Thanks. I will implement your suggestions.🙂

Sep 9, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #1,487 of 2,208
Should multiple switches be isolated from one’s main listening chain?

Sep 19, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #1,488 of 2,208
I removed my ifi lan iSilencer from apple tv4k and inserted it on my EverSolo streamer.
To my ears it proved its worth. I heard more vivid sounds with less flatness. Less harshness, less diffuse.

Sep 19, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #1,489 of 2,208
Should multiple switches be isolated from one’s main listening chain?

It is always a good idea to take care of mains interference:

Audio 13092023B.jpg

Torben

Sep 19, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #1,491 of 2,208
Etherregen was a very short experience for me. It sounds more fatiguing than a generic switch, no matter the configuration(clock/int). I was kinda hoping it would beat my afterdark x1. It did worse on the motherboard or even on the afterdark x1 card.

Im surprised this switch is so "forced" sounding. Coming from the Afterdark X1 which is smooth and delight in sound, the ER is piercing the sound. soundstage is terrible smeared.

Any recommendation?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #1,492 of 2,208
I removed my ifi lan iSilencer from apple tv4k and inserted it on my EverSolo streamer.
To my ears it proved its worth. I heard more vivid sounds with less flatness. Less harshness, less diffuse.
Ifi LAN iSilencers are terrific. Compact and clean form (no external PS), simple to deploy, very effective and reasonably priced in hifi terms. I and others find them to be complementary in effect when used in combination with FMCs and switches - it’s not an either or thing - my ethernet chain employs all three. Likely to get a couple more including trying with some KEF active speakers I still have kicking around as a semi-portable second system.

@OCC7N give ‘em a go, and/or FMCs and switches should you feel so inclined…

Sep 20, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #1,494 of 2,208
RPi4 or a good streamer. Gaming PC is not good. :)
The ER locks the music and makes it sound like a boring Deltasigma dac. Its clearly a degrading experience for people with greater dacs than entry level.

Afterdark X1 is more free airy musical softer, just beautiful sound.

Sep 20, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #1,495 of 2,208
Ifi LAN iSilencers are terrific. Compact and clean form (no external PS), simple to deploy, very effective and reasonably priced in hifi terms. I and others find them to be complementary in effect when used in combination with FMCs and switches - it’s not an either or thing - my ethernet chain employs all three. Likely to get a couple more including trying with some KEF active speakers I still have kicking around as a semi-portable second system.
I hear the improvement even more clearly now. With well known tracks. Fuller more distinct , more solid sound. Nicer melodies. Better emotional Impact.

I will probably get 2 more. One for the apple tv 4k, and one for my oled Tv which i have been using with wifi, i buy one supra cat 8 and ifi lan iSilencer for oled Tv.

I plan to use them all at the last stop connected to the devices. Also been thinking maybe one between router and switch would be good. Maybe i move one there if ifi manage to do one improved Lan iSilencer 2.

Do they also break potential ground loops?

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #1,496 of 2,208
I hear the improvement even more clearly now. With well known tracks. Fuller more distinct , more solid sound. Nicer melodies. Better emotional Impact.

I will probably get 2 more. One for the apple tv 4k, and one for my oled Tv which i have been using with wifi, i buy one supra cat 8 and ifi lan iSilencer for oled Tv.

I plan to use them all at the last stop connected to the devices. Also been thinking maybe one between router and switch would be good. Maybe i move one there if ifi manage to do one improved Lan iSilencer 2.

I already have two - one plugged into my LHY switch for the upstream feed from the router (albeit via a Netgear switch and FMCs), the other I alternate between the OLED TV (very effective) and my Mac Mini Roon/HQP server (also indispensable)… both also connected to the LHY though with the TV it sounds better plugged directly into the TV. Sick of swapping ‘em over though so need to get at least one more.

Not sure about ground loops, not an issue I have, though this blurb re galvanic isolation suggests it might…

The LAN iSilencer boasts premium galvanic isolation technology, where electrical circuits are separated to eliminate stray currents. Audio signals can pass between galvanically isolated circuits to block differences in ground potential or currents induced by AC power.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #1,497 of 2,208

@OCC7N give ‘em a go, and/or FMCs and switches should you feel so inclined…
I chose the pink faun isolator over the iFi(not tested)

I dont like ER sold it already. Very robotic and soulless sound

Sep 20, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #1,498 of 2,208
Yes, but using UTP 5e cable instead of shielded cables reduce HF voltage on the barrier.

Sep 20, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #1,499 of 2,208
I chose the pink faun isolator over the iFi(not tested)

I dont like ER sold it already. Very robotic and soulless sound
Ah yes re the Pink Faun, had forgotten. Their ethernet cable gets a very good rep over at What's Best (as does the Muon, even more so) but it comes at a price.

Curious re the ER as many folk with very resolved systems highly rate it.

Sep 20, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #1,500 of 2,208
Its clearly a degrading experience for people with greater dacs than entry level.
That's a ridiculous statement, given the thousands of people who own and love their EtherRegens. I have an exaSound e32 Mk-II, hardly entry level. I have two audiophile friends who own EtherRegens, one has the Mola Mola Tambaqui, the other a Lumin X1. Entry-level? LOL!! Look elsewhere to find the problem in your system.
The ER locks the music and makes it sound like a boring Deltasigma dac.
Clearly you are just trolling.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back