The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
Aug 30, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #1,471 of 2,207
Aug 30, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #1,472 of 2,207
Yes, switch remove some traffic not addresssed to this device, FMC would transfer every frame without verification of a destignation address. Better, if switch has a simple management facility. It can be used for prioritisation (sort of QoS), packets will be traveling in more regular intervals, not exposing the receiver power supply to a burst stress. Benefits depend on physical topology of a home network, specifically source of the audio stream (Internet or a local).

Even better if a switch has VLAN capability, it will isolate this segment from broadcasting frames, it is like having a dedicated physical link for audio transfers. Such setup require some networking experience.

If you want to use these features, TP-Link SG108E has everything you need.

Added: Network traffic isolation is even more important when using a pair of WiFi extenders for getting rid of ground loops.
Very interesting. I experience increased SQ when adding multiple cheap unmanaged Netgear switces to the chain in my bedside system. Using three now and will install a fourth soon. Was thinking of an "audiophile" switch for my main system, but will wait and set up VLAN first to see if it makes a difference.

Aug 30, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #1,473 of 2,207
Very interesting. I experience increased SQ when adding multiple cheap unmanaged Netgear switces to the chain in my bedside system. Using three now and will install a fourth soon. Was thinking of an "audiophile" switch for my main system, but will wait and set up VLAN first to see if it makes a difference.
If you have a router with VLAN capability, like Ubiquity ER-X, it is easy, as it comes with DHCP support for each VLAN you created on the router. It also affects setup on the switch (for VLAN and how you setup traffic priority). TP-Link has three methods to setup VLAN. If not, then it becomes tricky, as streamers may not have settings for the assignment a static IP address and you need a separate DHCP server for your VLAN. It is a biggest obstacle, as Windows desktop do not come with DHCP server. You need to install third-party DHCP server and your PC must be a part of VLAN. In most cases it means a requirement for a secondary LAN adapter. Why then we need a VLAN? Just setup a dedicated link to a streamer using a secondary adapter, it would be your ultimate solution, BTW.

As you see, when looking for perfection, there are couple questions, probably out of scope of this thread. If your source is PC, there are guides how to optimise traffic on the VLAN or a dedicated link. It include disabling Workgroup, Netbios over TCP/IP and other unneccesary network protocols, tuning up packet size and more. Commercial software comes with special streaming protocols as well.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #1,474 of 2,207
I have an Asus Rog Rapture GT-AX6000 wireles router. With the latest firmware there is an option to set up VLAN on the the ports. I need to read up on how to set it up. My source is a Wiim Pro streamer. I have a Ifi Zen Stream too, but are currently using it in my bedside system over a wireless bridge (and the multiple switches). So no opportunity for VLAN there.

Optimsing the network connection is obviously a very complex thing to dive into, understand and incorporate correctly.

Aug 31, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #1,476 of 2,207
I have an Asus Rog Rapture GT-AX6000 wireles router. With the latest firmware there is an option to set up VLAN on the the ports. I need to read up on how to set it up. My source is a Wiim Pro streamer. I have a Ifi Zen Stream too, but are currently using it in my bedside system over a wireless bridge (and the multiple switches). So no opportunity for VLAN there.

Optimsing the network connection is obviously a very complex thing to dive into, understand and incorporate correctly.
Is a WiFi bridge set between Asus and bedside system? I can check manual if you want, it should be possible to setup VLAN on the WiFi link as well. However I would recommend creating a separate WiFi access point on the router, alternatively (depends on a coverage) use a pair of WiFi extenders plugged to the Asus or a VLAN capable switch.

Aug 31, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #1,477 of 2,207
Problem is, those that provide enough amperage cost hundreds, and it would be overkill for my system. My router requires 12V/2.5A. But I’ll experiment with those better switching powers. It’s a neverending journey and I like it!
$30.28 30% Off | DLHiFi 15W 25W 5V 12V 24V Refer To STUDER900 Low Noise Audiophile Linear Regulated Power Supply For Audio Amplifier Hifi DAC
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mskuwhc

Aug 31, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #1,478 of 2,207
Aug 31, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #1,480 of 2,207
i
$43.94 15% Off | WL-DP01 50VA HIFI Ultra-low noise Linear power supply DC 5V/9V/12V/15V/16V/18V/19V/24V LPS
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNDdVHu
Warning: This is an affilliate link (earning money) /doubtful/

If such link has been opened, you need to save the redirected url, editing it to remove all rubbish following the first question mark (?), then clear cookies from this site before continuing shopping.

Here is interest-free link:
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005005468945900.html

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #1,481 of 2,207
Warning: This is an affilliate link (earning money) /doubtful/

If such link has been opened, you need to save the redirected url, editing it to remove all rubbish following the first question mark (?), then clear cookies from this site before continuing shopping.

Here is interest-free link:
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005005468945900.html
🤦🏻‍♂️I’m not an affiliate.
Just opened the app and typed LPS in the search bar for the man. 👍🏻

Aug 31, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #1,482 of 2,207
🤦🏻‍♂️I’m not an affiliate.
Just opened the app and typed LPS in the search bar for the man. 👍🏻
To bad, as all referal profits from sales come to one pocket, developer of the app. And you are a victim of unfolded accusations by using the app.

I propose removing affiliations before posting on the forum. Copy/paste to the Web browser, then use a real URL according to the instruction I gave a post before.

When doing so, we can trust each other more, develop it continuously over a time and recognise those who are trying to earn money on us.

Aug 31, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #1,483 of 2,207
To bad, as all referal profits from sales come to one pocket, developer of the app. And you are a victim of unfolded accusations by using the app.

I propose removing affiliations before posting on the forum. Copy/paste to the Web browser, then use a real URL according to the instruction I gave a post before.

When doing so, we can trust each other more, develop it continuously over a time and recognise those who are trying to earn money on us.
A bit off topic but isn't it likely the Developer/owner of the AliX app is AliExpress... Who already get their cut of any purchases I e. A non-issue in this case

Aug 31, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #1,484 of 2,207
Is a WiFi bridge set between Asus and bedside system? I can check manual if you want, it should be possible to setup VLAN on the WiFi link as well. However I would recommend creating a separate WiFi access point on the router, alternatively (depends on a coverage) use a pair of WiFi extenders plugged to the Asus or a VLAN capable switch.
In the bed room (15 feet and two walls away from the main wireless router) i use a second wireless router (Asus RT-AX86U) set up in media bridge mode. It is connected to the main wireless router (GT-AX6000) via the 2.4GHz band using a fixed channel and 20mhz bandwith (for low interference). Beacon interval set to 20. Signal strenght is -34dBm. I have no other clients on the 2.4GHz band. In media bridge mode the AX86U is using all four antennas for receiving and sending. Media bridge mode only accepts wired connection to the AX86U. It do not broadcast wi-fi signals. I find this solution to work flawlessly to stream Qobuz to the finicky Ifi Zen Stream.

The AX86U in media bridge mode have very limited setting options. To use VLAN in this configuration i will have to use a managed VLAN capable switch between the AX86U and the Zen Stream i suppose? Will it be best to place it after or before the other three unmanaged switches i already use in the chain?

Thank You for your time🙂

Sep 1, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #1,485 of 2,207
In the bed room (15 feet and two walls away from the main wireless router) i use a second wireless router (Asus RT-AX86U) set up in media bridge mode. It is connected to the main wireless router (GT-AX6000) via the 2.4GHz band using a fixed channel and 20mhz bandwith (for low interference). Beacon interval set to 20. Signal strenght is -34dBm. I have no other clients on the 2.4GHz band. In media bridge mode the AX86U is using all four antennas for receiving and sending. Media bridge mode only accepts wired connection to the AX86U. It do not broadcast wi-fi signals. I find this solution to work flawlessly to stream Qobuz to the finicky Ifi Zen Stream.

The AX86U in media bridge mode have very limited setting options. To use VLAN in this configuration i will have to use a managed VLAN capable switch between the AX86U and the Zen Stream i suppose? Will it be best to place it after or before the other three unmanaged switches i already use in the chain?

Thank You for your time🙂
I see you already have a setup with dedicated WiFi bridge. AX86U works as a wired network adapter on the receiving side. A similar topology of using cheap $15 WiFi N-300 extenders (which I recommend all the time), but with more configuration options and you use it. Good work, still a half way.

By this I want to say, AX6000 has a feature called "WiFi guest network". It is technically a VLAN over WiFi with a simplified setup. I suggest to enable this feature for a dedicated bridge connection, as it will isolate Internet streaming from your home network traffic. This is what you want!

Now about your main streamer wired connection with multiple switches. On the AX6000 create VLAN with DHCP option and enable on this port. Use the "access port" (untagged) option, so you can still use unmanaged switches for getting rid of ground loops. In this case don't plug any other devices to these switches, as such device will become a part of a VLAN, not a home LAN. The only difference is that with VLAN capable switch you can select on the AX6000 "trunk port" (tagged) option and on the switch utilise other ports for home network use.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back