The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
Nov 7, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #1,531 of 2,207
So it seems Sandhu of Soundnews has discovered LHY switches - SW-10 & SW-6 - and is quite a fan. This is his first use of audiophile switches having been a sceptic for the last few years as he notes in a response in the YT comments.

https://soundnews.net/reviews/accessories/lhy-audio-sw-10-ethernet-switch-review/

Using the SW-10 with both his Chord Dave and Rockna Wavedream DACs and Wavedream.net server (lucky guy!) and comparing it to some more exotic switches, Sandhu concluded:

"Hearing is believing my friends and that’s why I ventured into this sonic realm. This is still black magic to me, how can a network switch improve the sound of my wired streamer? But the experience was truly transformative. I tried about four network switches in the last month and while LHY Audio’s SW-10 wasn’t at the very top, it was close to the unobtanium level switches that can cost you as much as an end-game DAC.

In my setup, no single component has elevated the sound performance as significantly. The SW-10 stands out as the most satisfying addition to both my head-fi and stereo listening stations and I’ll gladly award it with our highest honors."

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #1,532 of 2,207
Saw it yesterday...It seems he did not do the FMC/SFP route with SW-10 and Delco...missed opportunity.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #1,533 of 2,207
Or $15 WiFi extender on a dedicated link. Still learning...

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #1,534 of 2,207
Saw it yesterday...It seems he did not do the FMC/SFP route...missed opportunity.
He did, Sandhu refers to this in his written review. TP-link media convertor. Says (in the Pros & Cons list at the bottom of the review) it sounds slightly better with this than direct ethernet input into SW-10.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #1,535 of 2,207
I tried the ifi ISilencer and I commend it for being priced very fairly for what it claims to do. However, It did not work in my system. It titled the balance towards the higher frequencies, and the sound ended up losing some good weight. Other than that, it did not do anything positive in my system. When I removed it after a few weeks, my system’s dynamic range returned and everything sounded normal again. Without it, the soundstage returned to its normal size and it did not sound as restricted.

Mind you, I do not think it is intended for use in a setup like mine. I tried it in several places:
1. Right before the Etherregen
2. Out of the router that is directly connected to the Etherregen.

The last leg is fiber or AOC to server.

A friend of mine also let me borrow the Network Acoustics Muon Pro. This too did not work in my system in conjunction with the ER but I know it isn’t supposed to be used that way.

So, I have ordered a low cost and good Intel i350 (T2V2) based nic for my server so that I can perform a different set of tests without the last leg of fiber directly to my server.

Will send some updates after further testing.

Nov 7, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #1,536 of 2,207
very nice to read a non positive opinion for a change

Im using the Innuos Phoenix Net for a week and havent notice an immediate change in my system. Note I dont have very picky ears, it is rare that a notice a single component being changed, even though it is very resolving. Yesterday I put an audiophile fuse in the Phoenix , first impression was very good but that was a nice recording and I didnt have the chance to try it immediatly before changing fuse. Will report at some point later, when I take the innuos from the system again after Im more used to it, to see if I miss it.

Nov 11, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #1,538 of 2,207
So I just got in the SW-10, I've been having nothing but connection problems from the moment I got it. Spent five hours last night trying to get it to identify/connect to the ip address. It would be an understatement to say that I've been having a really bad experience with the SW-10. It's currently connected, but when I try using the sw-10's clock out to my Etherregen via bnc cable, it doesn't work again. I fought the urge to throw this thing across the room multiple times...

I reached out to beatechnik, they said they'll look into it. I would hope this isn't the norm and that the unit I received is defective.
I had already placed an order for the LHY FMC before the sw-10 had arrived. I hope that turns out better than the sw-10...

When it does work the SW-10 sounded louder than not having it in the chain. I believe Sandu heard the same thing in his review. Besides being louder there were incremental improvements here and there (I was already using an etherregen with a hypsos power supply, so I was getting a pretty clean connection to begin with). A slightly quieter background, a touch smoother (but not overly so, harsh songs are still very harsh). I tried the sfp connection from the SW-10 to the Etherregen using a Finisar 1318 sfp module for both devices, SFP worked with less issues compared to using all ethernet lan cables. But I did not like the sound as much. It was leaner, more analytical, and more sibilant to my ears. I'm hoping the lhy fmc converter being earlier in the chain will not be as stringent as the sfp connection from the sw-10 to the etherregen. I hope to try the bnc clock out one of these days, to my etherregen.

Has anyone else had issues connecting their sw-6/sw-10 switches?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #1,539 of 2,207
Please don´t say you are using ER after the SW10?

I don´t own the SW10, but would be surprised if it is as poor sounding as ER. Keep in mind it is based on the Cisco CBS220, which means you can actually access the adm on the switch for further improvements.

Buy their FMC and throw the ER in the trashcan

Nov 11, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #1,540 of 2,207
Please don´t say you are using ER after the SW10?

I don´t own the SW10, but would be surprised if it is as poor sounding as ER. Keep in mind it is based on the Cisco CBS220, which means you can actually access the adm on the switch for further improvements.

Buy their FMC and throw the ER in the trashcan
I've tried connecting the SW-10 from the router directly into the jcat ethernet card, without the Etherregen. It worked for half a minute before it lost the ip and refused to connect. It absolutely refused to work that way.

I already purchased the LHY FMC a few days ago, should be coming in sometime next week.

The Etherregen doesn't sound bad to me, but I respect your opinion.

I just can't stand the issues that the SW-10 is having. It's mind boggling.

The pictures show the only way it will connect to the ip.

Will connect to the ip:
Modem -> Router -> SW-10 -> Etherregen -> Jcat Ethernet card (not stacked)
Modem -> Router -> SW-10 (sfp) -> Etherregen (sfp) -> jcat

Will not connect to the ip:
Modem -> router -> SW-10 -> Jcat card
Modem ->SW-10 -> Etherregen -> jcat
Modem -> router -> sw-10 (w/bnc out) -> etherregen(bnc in) -> jcat
Modem -> router -> sw-10 -> etherregen ->jcat (when stacked on top of each other, I have no idea why it doesn't work when stacked)

I've reset the router, modem, computer, and sw-10 switch dozens of times, it did not help.

Attachments

• IMG_3807.jpg
    IMG_3807.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3805.jpg
    IMG_3805.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #1,541 of 2,207
I've tried connecting the SW-10 from the router directly into the jcat ethernet card, without the Etherregen. It worked for half a minute before it lost the ip and refused to connect. It absolutely refused to work that way.

I already purchased the LHY FMC a few days ago, should be coming in sometime next week.

The Etherregen doesn't sound bad to me, but I respect your opinion.

I just can't stand the issues that the SW-10 is having. It's mind boggling.

The pictures show the only way it will connect to the ip.

Will connect to the ip:
Modem -> Router -> SW-10 -> Etherregen -> Jcat Ethernet card (not stacked)
Modem -> Router -> SW-10 (sfp) -> Etherregen (sfp) -> jcat

Will not connect to the ip:
Modem -> router -> SW-10 -> Jcat card
Modem ->SW-10 -> Etherregen -> jcat
Modem -> router -> sw-10 (w/bnc out) -> etherregen(bnc in) -> jcat
Modem -> router -> sw-10 -> etherregen ->jcat (when stacked on top of each other, I have no idea why it doesn't work when stacked)

I've reset the router, modem, computer, and sw-10 switch dozens of times, it did not help.
It should work without problems if you are just using the ethernets.

Did you tweak the ethernet settings on the JCAT card?

Try the motherboard instead of JCAT

----

Get the Afterdark X1 it will be a beautiful match for the clock output on the SW10

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #1,542 of 2,207
It should work without problems if you are just using the ethernets.

Did you tweak the ethernet settings on the JCAT card?

Try the motherboard instead of JCAT

----

Get the Afterdark X1 it will be a beautiful match for the clock output on the SW10
I did not tweak the cards, it's all factory. I did not try connecting it to the motherboard. But the issue is the ip from the router not being recognized by the switch. There is a blue led light that keeps blinking on the sw-10 if there isn't a ip connection from the router/modem.

Nov 11, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #1,543 of 2,207
Keep it on and let the clock settle....

Shutdown everything else. Wait 2min and turn on everything including the routher and modem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back