The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
Feb 6, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #76 of 2,205
[1] You be you and i be me.
[1a] What do you mean by calling everyone a lier that heard the difference and [1b] dont trust your ears whats the sense in that?
[2] Instead of relying on old facts only, while new things is discovered
[2a] like better designed ethernet cables for the purpose of audio actually improve audio quality ,
[2b] i suggest you try sotm dcbl cat7 vs generic one and listen yourself. Don't you think you should find out for sure before arguing about it?
[3] All i know and experience everytime i listen is more musical joy with supra cat8 replacing the cat5e utp cable.

1. What do you mean: That I be me and state the facts and you be you and make-up complete nonsense? Such as:
1a. I didn't call anyone a liar, let alone everyone, with one exception, I'm obviously calling you a liar because you've falsely stated that I'm calling everyone a liar! I don't doubt that those who hear a difference between ethernet cables really are hearing a difference. What I doubt is the reason they're hearing a difference: Assuming they don't have some serious fault (which is easily testable), the data exiting the ethernet network is IDENTICAL, whatever compliant ethernet cable is used. In fact, that's precisely WHY ethernet became so dominant in the first place (beating out Token Ring and other competitors), because it operated bit PERFECTLY on cheap twisted pair wiring! So, by definition of "identical"and "bit perfect" there can be NO DIFFERENCE and therefore the reason they're hearing a difference MUST BE due to some other reason, IE. Their perception!
1b. You have that exactly backwards! Not only is it clearly proven, clearly demonstrated and completely established fact but the very existence of music relies on the fact that you can't trust your ears. So "what's the sense" in contradicting completely proven/established fact? Obviously there is no sense, there's just nonsense which is based on ignorance of thet basic facts! I'm not going to give you a 400 year old basic introduction to western harmony but this 2 minute video also demonstrates the point:
A couple of points: A. I am NOT calling everyone who hears/perceives "faa" a liar!!
B. Apart from NOT being able to trust your ears, what explanation do you have for hearing "faa"? So, "what's the sense" in trusting your ears? You think maybe there's a magic audiophile cable in the chain that knows when you're watching and changes the audio from "baa" to "faa"? That makes sense to you does it?

2. Do you think any new things have been discovered in the last 5,000+ years? Do you therefore not rely on "1+1=2"? What new things have been discovered that invalidate "1+1=2", audiophile marketing and reviews maybe? You think that when gigabit ethernet was "discovered" everyone suddenly realised that 10/100 megabit ethernet never actually worked?
2a. Again, you cannot design an ethernet cable for the purpose of audio because ethernet doesn't carry any audio, it carries digital data! By definition, you design an ethernet cable for the purpose of meeting the specifications of the ethernet standards, it either fulfils that purpose or it's not an ethernet cable. How is this not obvious? What is also BLATANTLY OBVIOUS is that ethernet networks (using cheap twisted pair wires) all over the world transmit countless trillions of bits of data bit PERFECTLY every second. Please explain how you can "actually improve" on bit perfect!
2b. I have tried different cat cables and different ethernet speeds/standards and far more reliably than just listening, I've actually compared the resultant output/data. It's always been identical (bit perfect), except for one occasion when I setup the network incorrectly and got no data at all. So your question is right back at you, don't you think you should actually "find out for sure" what's coming out of your ethernet network "before arguing about it"? And while you're at it, learning some basics of music and/or human perception wouldn't go amiss either!

3. So you even admit it, "All you know" is what you experience, rather than any actual facts! Have you ever seen a Hollywood film? Did you experience the sounds of the locations and characters having conversations with each other or did you experience the actual facts? If it's the latter, how could you ever watch or enjoy a film?

Again, all your response achieved is to further prove my point. You just made-up false assertions, repeated false marketing and talked about "making sense" by contradicting the most well established/accepted basic facts, which is pretty much the opposite of "making sense"!

G

Feb 6, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #77 of 2,205
I find this ethernet cable interesting and something different.
I like how they claim the signature sound is.

Me too!
"Supplied as a complete package incorporating Entreqs EEDS noise draining system, exclusive wooden connectors and dedicated Primer Ground Box you will find a level of performance, musicality and ease unheard of at the price. The USB and RJ45 cables in particular typify this approach with digital music becoming almost analogue in presentation while retaining an open, textured & detailed sound.

The big difference between analogue and digital is that digital has far less inherent noise (and distortion), which of course is why digital audio was invented in the first place! So how does draining noise from digital audio make it more "analogue in presentation"? If it actually did what it claimed, it would make the "presentation" even less analogue!

Oh, and do you think the 60 day return policy is long enough to fully burn-in the cable and box? How do you burn-in a wooden box anyway, do you put it over heat until it becomes a charcoal briquette? :)

There's a sucker born every minute!

G

Feb 6, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #78 of 2,205
What I doubt is the reason they're hearing a difference: Assuming they don't have some serious fault (which is easily testable), the data exiting the ethernet network is IDENTICAL, whatever compliant ethernet cable is used. In fact, that's precisely WHY ethernet became so dominant in the first place (beating out Token Ring and other competitors), because it operated bit PERFECTLY on cheap twisted pair wiring! So, by definition of "identical"and "bit perfect" there can be NO DIFFERENCE and therefore the reason they're hearing a difference MUST BE due to some other reason, IE. Their perception
It never happens that you wake up someday and start hearing things different in real life if you have normal hearing like for exe the water running from the water tap at home right, so as soon as you put on headphones or listening to speakers that could happen you think? As you think the data exeting the data is identical that shouldent happen right. I never said though the reason i think ethernet cables makes a difference is with the data sent but i do think the reason is with the cables ability to not pick up rf/emi or electrical noise that can enter the systems curcuits.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #79 of 2,205
Me too!

The big difference between analogue and digital is that digital has far less inherent noise (and distortion), which of course is why digital audio was invented in the first place! So how does draining noise from digital audio make it more "analogue in presentation"? If it actually did what it claimed, it would make the "presentation" even less analogue!

Oh, and do you think the 60 day return policy is long enough to fully burn-in the cable and box? How do you burn-in a wooden box anyway, do you put it over heat until it becomes a charcoal briquette? :)

There's a sucker born every minute!

G
Leave this thread then if your not interested in this hobby or open for the possibility for ethernet cables making a difference. It makes no sense in you posting here anymore, you shared your views fine, but i will have mine experiences and my views on things no matter what you say, your not that pursvasive to me though nice try though. Just more anoying.

Theres a rude boring sucker born every minute!

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #80 of 2,205
Leave this thread then if your not interested in this hobby or open for the possibility for ethernet cables making a difference. It makes no sense in you posting here anymore, you shared your views fine, but i will have mine experiences and my views on things no matter what you say, your not that pursvasive to me though nice try though. Just more anoying.

Theres a rude boring sucker born every minute!

The whole point of a thread is to discuss something: if you're gatekeeping, hire some servants to be sycophants for you.

I know that you don't like this, but not everyone has to agree with you.

Feb 6, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #81 of 2,205
The whole point of a thread is to discuss something: if you're gatekeeping, hire some servants to be sycophants for you.

Well he started to be rude and think he know it all attitude. And he have said his piece. Well i guess he has to reply to my last reply with same answers roughly.

Feb 6, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #82 of 2,205
Well he started to be rude and think he know it all attitude. And he have said his piece. Well i guess he has to reply to my last reply with same answers roughly.

to be fair, Gregorio could say you’ve said your piece and you should stop posting.

fortunately, that’s not how internet discussion boards work.

No one is telling you what you heard. The debate here is why you heard it. Placebo? Ethernet cable? What you ate? Mood?

Feb 6, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #83 of 2,205
Maybe depends on the device you have also. Many seem to be made sloppy and fail there cat according to link.

"It's also worth pointing out that the exact equipment we use, including hard drives, NAS, switches, routers, etc. as well as the audio device in question and its ability to handle incoming noise, will all directly relate to how much of an audible difference Ethernet cables will make in our hi-fis. Some manufacturers of hi-fi equipment which attach to a LAN take more care than others when it comes to isolating the Ethernet input. In other words, YMMV so by all means make sure when buying Ethernet cables, or any cables for that matter, you have the option of returning them for a full refund."

https://www.audiostream.com/content/cables-bits-and-noise-how-cables-can-make-sound-difference

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #84 of 2,205
Until you've done a fair blind test involving other people swapping ethernet cables, everything you've heard could be placebo/aural illusion.
To make it fair, do a live stream so everyone can give a fair judgement if your ears indeed hear a difference in ethernet cable swapping lol

Feb 6, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #85 of 2,205
Maybe depends on the device you have also. Many seem to be made sloppy and fail there cat according to link.

"It's also worth pointing out that the exact equipment we use, including hard drives, NAS, switches, routers, etc. as well as the audio device in question and its ability to handle incoming noise, will all directly relate to how much of an audible difference Ethernet cables will make in our hi-fis. Some manufacturers of hi-fi equipment which attach to a LAN take more care than others when it comes to isolating the Ethernet input. In other words, YMMV so by all means make sure when buying Ethernet cables, or any cables for that matter, you have the option of returning them for a full refund."

https://www.audiostream.com/content/cables-bits-and-noise-how-cables-can-make-sound-difference

The only reason to return an Ethernet cable is if it’s physically broken, because the quoted text is utter marketing bull

in decades of specing and designing data centers for highly regulated industries, where an error in digital data transmission could result in 7 figure fines and/or serious injury and even death, I’ve never specified anything other than a standard, low cost Ethernet cable. Nor do the regulatory bodies require it.

I guarantee there is far more ”noise” generated by 1000 or more servers, hundreds of switches, and enterprise class storage than you will ever encounter in a home. And yet no issues.

So either every manufacturer in the audio sector is incompetent in regards to Ethernet interfaces (which they all buy from common sources, they are almost never bespoke designs), or someone with a profit motive wants to sell you something.

But I‘m sure, somehow, audio uses ethernet differently. In a way that can’t be explained rationally or measured at consequential levels...

Edit - clicked your link and saw that the author is Michael Lavorgna. Talk about zero credibility.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #87 of 2,205

Incomplete in my opinion. The whole point of a thread is to discuss something with comprehension of the described need and commitment to its global direction, aka on-topic.
As per evidence at some point soon all types of disregard in especially these 'great cable debates'. The reason as I see it is some are completely sidestepping said commitment from being uncontrollably triggered by interesting subject matter, which makes knowing when (not) to speak very very very hard. For people who are genuinely interested in sharing lets say their cable comparisons this speaking when it's not adding is a huge, I mean huge disturbing source of noise.

Unnecessary foul play. Eventhough off-topic please share what exactly convinced you OP cannot handle disagreement.

to be fair, Gregorio could say you’ve said your piece and you should stop posting.

He could but really could not. In my view OP is host who can keep calling the shots for he behaves respectfully and does plenty reasonable all-round.

No one is telling you what you heard. The debate here is why you heard it. Placebo? Ethernet cable? What you ate? Mood?

I guess a thank you is in order for summarizing what p1sses me off the most: taking and making it YOUR kind of debate!
Where did you pick up OP's intent is about finding the why? In such case I shall unsubscribe from the thread right away. @bluenight enlighten us please.

Feb 7, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #88 of 2,205
Until you've done a fair blind test involving other people swapping ethernet cables, everything you've heard could be placebo/aural illusion.
To make it fair, do a live stream so everyone can give a fair judgement if your ears indeed hear a difference in ethernet cable swapping lol
Then this should involve all headphones,dacs amps, analogue cables to?

Feb 7, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #89 of 2,205
Incomplete in my opinion. The whole point of a thread is to discuss something with comprehension of the described need and commitment to its global direction, aka on-topic.
As per evidence at some point soon all types of disregard in especially these 'great cable debates'. The reason as I see it is some are completely sidestepping said commitment from being uncontrollably triggered by interesting subject matter, which makes knowing when (not) to speak very very very hard. For people who are genuinely interested in sharing lets say their cable comparisons this speaking when it's not adding is a huge, I mean huge disturbing source of noise.

Unnecessary foul play. Eventhough off-topic please share what exactly convinced you OP cannot handle disagreement.

He could but really could not. In my view OP is host who can keep calling the shots for he behaves respectfully and does plenty reasonable all-round.

I guess a thank you is in order for summarizing what p1sses me off the most: taking and making it YOUR kind of debate!
Where did you pick up OP's intent is about finding the why? In such case I shall unsubscribe from the thread right away. @bluenight enlighten us please.
I would prefered if this topic was about peoples audio experience with ethernet cables yes and actual listening.

Feb 7, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #90 of 2,205
I would prefered if this topic was about peoples audio experience with ethernet cables yes and actual listening.

Yeah, shame that the Internet is a bit more fluid than that though.

Then this should involve all headphones,dacs amps, analogue cables to?

Honestly, yes. However, I ain't disciplined enough and I like shiny things, so there goes a few grand for something I absolutely did not need.

I did actually 'hear' Ethernet cables - they were setup at a local audiophile store with some fancy schmancy Audioquest cables. I mean, I didn't notice any dropped frames, so that's good I take it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back