The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
Feb 11, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #109 of 2,214
This is like the whole audiophile extension lead drama. The cables which travel miles to your home don't cost £800 and have Hi-Res stickers on them. Bits of data or electricity whatever don't suddenly improve to audiophile standards in the last few feet to your amp.

Feb 11, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #110 of 2,214
I tried the different network cables with the Antipodes CX EX combo between the two units and again between the network either a wireless access point (hopefully to reduce network noise) and straight into the network.

Earlier some months ago on a Melco N1Za I did experience network noise connected straight into the network and had a better experience with the wireless access point, I confirmed this with also with trying the Melco off network (controlled by the front panel only). I also experienced noise when only one end of the ethernet cable was connected to the Melco I guess this acted like an aerial.

With the Antipodes CX EX combo I could not decide which cable made any difference when connected to either the wireless access point or direct to the network either streaming from Qobuz or from the library stored in the CX, note there is a difference between the Qobuz and the library in SQ but the cables made no difference on one or the other, I hope that makes sense. I suspect the two Antipodes units have some filtration for network noise.

I did notice a difference between the cables when connected between the CX and EX.

SOtM cat 7 New out the box
Booming base, sucked the life out the midrange, sibilance. Good separation of instruments mass of detail. Thin, all bass and treble.

SOtM cat 6 with different cables. new out the box
Fine tuning to your tastes they made the difference easy relaxed to detailed chose you flavour.

Chord Sarum T Demo cable
Base booming but not as much as the SOtM, good midrange, good detail, good vocals, but still adds to sibilance, lacks the toe tapping musically great if you like detail.

Antipodes
This cable is the free one in the box with the CX EX combo. Tight base, good midrange, nice treble, not too much detail and a balanced all rounder.
All I can say is, musically this fitted my personal taste, although the detail was not quite as good as the Chord.

Supra
Too smooth, all the sounds sounded fused together by compassion to the other cables but for the price no complaints.

I listened to the cables over this weekend and on the Sunday morning the other half came into the HiFi room and wanted to participate. Not knowing what cable was in play, came to the same conclusion this was over a cup of tea. Then walked off saying listen to the music not the cables !

Edit forgot to say YMMV
Yes the last cable is the one that makes most difference they say, the one in to the music streamer from switch in my case.

I agree with the supra cat8 being smooth which is good for bad thin sibilant recordings imo, fuzzy is a good word to describe it, . In my streamer i dont have an problem with it i like it more then mine previous used cheap generic cat5e utp. To me cat5e sounds flater, supra makes the soundstage wider and deeper and i get a sense of that the HP disapear more and more floaty and airy. Also i get more musical joy with supra which is the best thing.

Where i get annoyed with supra is using it from switch to apple tv 4k for movie and tv series whatching there i prefer wifi or even cat5e utp which i dident hear a difference between wifi or cat5e. There i think supra is to smooth and unclean sounding. There i prefer the more realistic neutral sound of wifi or cat5e. My chord hugo2 dac/amp is connected with optical to Lg oled tv.

It sems to your conclusion is they sound different but the more expensive not necceserly better.

I saw your edit at a glance maybe the free one with cx+ex isent considered generic cheap.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #111 of 2,214
The CX EX is not a generic.

I guess the materials used in most ethernet cables do not cost much more at best than a few hundred $ or £ the rest is marketing, R&D, dealer mark up etc so I guess Antipodes put the cable in box to give their unit the best SQ without the need upgrade, their expertise for free.

Any one tried the Audioquest Vodka ? Or perhaps the Diamond ? and what did you compare with.

I have been given a good tip off for the Vodka but looking on the reviews the SOtM seemed to come out on top which I have tried.

I only flick though a few tracks then try the next cable but I do come back several hours later and try again.

Feb 11, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #112 of 2,214
Also the supra in the streamer i have burned in 2 weeks 24/7 with internet radio playing. I think i enjoyed it more when it settled in. The supra in the apple tv 4k i had not burned in, more relaxed sound. But this morning i switched the burnt in cable from streamar and put it in the apple tv 4k i have not listened to the sound yet if its changed anything. And started the 2 week burn in with the other cable connected to streamer. I saw this was mentioned in the cx link as a fenomen also.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #113 of 2,214
Supra Cat 8, I have edited the post earlier, remember smooth compared to the others
I agree with the supra cat8 being smooth which is good for bad thin sibilant recordings imo

The level of "ridiculous" here puts even a Monty Python sketch to shame!

An ethernet cable does NOT carry an analogue audio signal, it carries digital data, how can you (in effect) seriously claim otherwise? The signal an ethernet cable actually carries is a series of on/off pulses (measured/analysed as an eye-pattern), as just a few minutes on Wikipedia or ANY OTHER introduction to the basics of digital signalling would reveal, if you could be bothered!
1280px-On-off_keying_eye_diagram.svg.png

An ethernet cable "being smooth" is therefore NOT "good", the LAST thing you want is the pulses/eye-pattern being "smoothed"! If it really were "smoothing" the signal it's transporting, the result would either be the exact same, IDENTICAL data (in the case of minimal "smoothing") or data errors (in the case of severe "smoothing"), which would require the data to be resent until it IS identical or until it gives up (in which case there is NO data)!

How many times? An ethernet cable does NOT carry an analogue audio signal! How many times are you going to contradict the basic principles of digital data signalling, without which digital devices and the digital age could not exist! Jeez!

G

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #114 of 2,214
The CX EX is not a generic.

I guess the materials used in most ethernet cables do not cost much more at best than a few hundred $ or £ the rest is marketing, R&D, dealer mark up etc so I guess Antipodes put the cable in box to give their unit the best SQ without the need upgrade, their expertise for free.

Any one tried the Audioquest Vodka ? Or perhaps the Diamond ? and what did you compare with.

I have been given a good tip off for the Vodka but looking on the reviews the SOtM seemed to come out on top which I have tried.

I only flick though a few tracks then try the next cable but I do come back several hours later and try again.
There is some costumer reviews here
https://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioquest-vodka-rj-e-ethernet-cable

Personaly i think the best choice for me is atlas mavros ethernet cable and if i am in the mood/cant resist someday i will try it with 60 days back guarantee. The grun drain wire was effective with my mavros rca cable connected to my streamer. So i have already got the atlas mains power adapter with grun connected to niagara 1000 power socket (with ground noise dissipation system) where you can connect 3 grun drain wires for RF/EMI noise pathway.

I asked atlas on email on how it works and they said it has a cumulative effect and the more you control the noise floor in the system the better cleaner sound and that the cable itself emits rf/emi that conducts in the screen also the screen picks up rf/emi from the outside enviorment, the screen leads the noise to the grun pathway in my case to power socket.

Over priced maybe, they are not cheap. I got the power adapter and one grun extension for free on a summer campaign the store and atlas had when i bought the mavros rca cable so that was a great deal.

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/atlas-mavros-grun-streaming-ethernet-audio-cable

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/atlas-grun-power-adaptors

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/atlas-grun-grounding-adaptors

Also atlas have a track record of high quality great sounding digital cables.
I got this optical cable which sounds quite better then my supra optical which is again more smooth and forgiving with poor recordings but the atlas is more textural and detailed with more soundstage air more articulate bass. Supra is great for the price imo and the connectors have a perfect fit which clicks in to place easy compared to mavros which connectors is a little to big and you have to use more force to put it in but i noticed you dont have to put it in all the way for it to work but thats a minus and it dont click in as supra does.

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/atlas-mavros-toslink-glass-digital-optical-audio-cable

I had been using this for years before buying mavros optical
https://www.futureshop.co.uk/supra-zac-fibre-optic-digital-interconnect

Good costumer reviews i got the version with spdif-3,5mm for hugo2. I cant complain it sounds great but got nothing to compare with.
https://www.futureshop.co.uk/atlas-mavros-ultra-rca-75-ohm-sp-dif-digital-audio-cable

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #115 of 2,214

Did you even read those pages before you posted a link to them? If you did, how is it possible that you didn't notice the BLATANTLY OBVIOUS contradictions between them and even the self contradictions? For example:

Audioquest: "... Ethernet offers the virtues of high-speed, low time delay (latency), significant distance capability (1000 feet without an active booster or repeater), and extremely low-jitter, bit-perfect communication. Who wouldn't want all of these things?" - Yes, ethernet does indeed offer those "virtues" and of course everyone not only "want all of those things" but absolutely expect and demand them. Who would want an ethernet network that is broken/doesn't work (that doesn't provide "bit-perfect communication")?

Audioquest: "The Cat 7 cable standard has been created to allow 10- Gigabyte Ethernet over 100 m of copper cabling." - Indeed it was and of course it works "bit-perfectly", so why are Audioquest making Cat 7 cables that are NOT copper (have 10% silver added)?

Audioquest: "This is an incredibly cost effective way of manufacturing very high-quality Ethernet cables." - It would be, if silver were cheaper than copper (and still worked "bit-perfectly"). OBVIOUSLY though, silver is NOT cheaper than copper, so it's actually an incredibly cost INEFFECTIVE way of manufacturing ethernet cables. However, as their cable would only cost a few bucks more to manufacture but they are charging consumers nearly 100 times more, it's certainly "an incredibly cost effective way" of scamming gullible/ignorant consumers!!!

Atlas: "Atlas' developed a new range of streaming cables with a goal in mind. That goal was to deliver improved fidelity ..." - As Audioquest (correctly) stated, ethernet offers "bit-perfect communication". OBVIOUSLY, there can be no "fidelity" greater than "perfect"! If Atlas has achieved their goal (of improved fidelity), this tells us two things: Firstly, that their ethernet cables prior to this "new range" had lower fidelity (than bit-perfect) and were therefore defective/faulty! And secondly, that Atlas' "new range" has managed to achieve what generic Chinese manufacturers already achieved a decade ago but at about 200 times the cost (to the consumer)!!!

Accused of "The level of "ridiculous" here puts even a Monty Python sketch to shame!", your response is to post a level of "ridiculous" that puts even a Monty Python sketch to shame. If that's not funny, nothing is (at least to a Monty Python fan)! Of course though, it *might* not appear to be ridiculous to a gullible/ignorant consumer who is not capable of noticing "the BLATANTLY OBVIOUS contradictions".

G

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #116 of 2,214
There is some costumer reviews here
https://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioquest-vodka-rj-e-ethernet-cable

Personaly i think the best choice for me is atlas mavros ethernet cable and if i am in the mood/cant resist someday i will try it with 60 days back guarantee. The grun drain wire was effective with my mavros rca cable connected to my streamer. So i have already got the atlas mains power adapter with grun connected to niagara 1000 power socket (with ground noise dissipation system) where you can connect 3 grun drain wires for RF/EMI noise pathway.

I asked atlas on email on how it works and they said it has a cumulative effect and the more you control the noise floor in the system the better cleaner sound and that the cable itself emits rf/emi that conducts in the screen also the screen picks up rf/emi from the outside enviorment, the screen leads the noise to the grun pathway in my case to power socket.

Over priced maybe, they are not cheap. I got the power adapter and one grun extension for free on a summer campaign the store and atlas had when i bought tghe mavros rca cable so that was a great deal.

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/atlas-mavros-grun-streaming-ethernet-audio-cable

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/atlas-grun-power-adaptors

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/atlas-grun-grounding-adaptors

Also atlas have a track record of high quality great sounding digital cables.
I got this optical cable which sounds quite better then my supra optical which is again more smooth and forgiving with poor recordings but the atlas is more textural and detailed with more soundstage air more articulate bass. Supra is great for the price imo

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/atlas-mavros-toslink-glass-digital-optical-audio-cable

Good costumer reviews i got the version with spdif-3,5mm for hugo2. I cant complain it sounds great but git nothing to compare with.
https://www.futureshop.co.uk/atlas-mavros-ultra-rca-75-ohm-sp-dif-digital-audio-cable

Thanks for the information. When I get round to ordering the demo Vodka and Diamond cables I will add in the Mavros cable and drain wires.

Feb 13, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #117 of 2,214
Thanks for the information. When I get round to ordering the demo Vodka and Diamond cables I will add in the Mavros cable and drain wires.
If you wanna try something different and in the mood? Then you would really walked all the way imo. Claims to sound very analogue. Anyway i find this one very interesting. If so make sure to get the 60 days back guarantee they have.

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/entreq-primer-network-cable-w-ground-box

From link
"Supplied as a complete package incorporating Entreqs EEDS noise draining system, exclusive wooden connectors and dedicated Primer Ground Box you will find a level of performance, musicality and ease unheard of at the price. The USB and RJ45 cables in particular typify this approach with digital music becoming almost analogue in presentation while retaining an open, textured & detailed sound. The improvement, even streaming Spotify via a Primer RJ45, will surprise you!"

90 pound more
https://www.futureshop.co.uk/entreq-primer-plus-network-cable-w-ground-box

The Primer and Primer Pro ranges offer identical construction, with the Primer Pro versions having enhanced conductors and EEDS system.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #118 of 2,214
Did you even read those pages before you posted a link to them? If you did, how is it possible that you didn't notice the BLATANTLY OBVIOUS contradictions between them and even the self contradictions? For example:

Audioquest: "... Ethernet offers the virtues of high-speed, low time delay (latency), significant distance capability (1000 feet without an active booster or repeater), and extremely low-jitter, bit-perfect communication. Who wouldn't want all of these things?" - Yes, ethernet does indeed offer those "virtues" and of course everyone not only "want all of those things" but absolutely expect and demand them. Who would want an ethernet network that is broken/doesn't work (that doesn't provide "bit-perfect communication")?

Audioquest: "The Cat 7 cable standard has been created to allow 10- Gigabyte Ethernet over 100 m of copper cabling." - Indeed it was and of course it works "bit-perfectly", so why are Audioquest making Cat 7 cables that are NOT copper (have 10% silver added)?

Audioquest: "This is an incredibly cost effective way of manufacturing very high-quality Ethernet cables." - It would be, if silver were cheaper than copper (and still worked "bit-perfectly"). OBVIOUSLY though, silver is NOT cheaper than copper, so it's actually an incredibly cost INEFFECTIVE way of manufacturing ethernet cables. However, as their cable would only cost a few bucks more to manufacture but they are charging consumers nearly 100 times more, it's certainly "an incredibly cost effective way" of scamming gullible/ignorant consumers!!!

Atlas: "Atlas' developed a new range of streaming cables with a goal in mind. That goal was to deliver improved fidelity ..." - As Audioquest (correctly) stated, ethernet offers "bit-perfect communication". OBVIOUSLY, there can be no "fidelity" greater than "perfect"! If Atlas has achieved their goal (of improved fidelity), this tells us two things: Firstly, that their ethernet cables prior to this "new range" had lower fidelity (than bit-perfect) and were therefore defective/faulty! And secondly, that Atlas' "new range" has managed to achieve what generic Chinese manufacturers already achieved a decade ago but at about 200 times the cost (to the consumer)!!!

Accused of "The level of "ridiculous" here puts even a Monty Python sketch to shame!", your response is to post a level of "ridiculous" that puts even a Monty Python sketch to shame. If that's not funny, nothing is (at least to a Monty Python fan)! Of course though, it *might* not appear to be ridiculous to a gullible/ignorant consumer who is not capable of noticing "the BLATANTLY OBVIOUS contradictions".

G

Just saying, I don't think you're reaching through. Might as well call it a day.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #119 of 2,214

G
Did you read the consumer review? They seemed pretty happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back