The Essential Rock & Metal Headphone & Gear Appreciation Thread!!! Fans Unite!!
Jan 1, 2013 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

HeatFan12

Headphoneus Supremus
Seems like every week there's new threads on which is the best headphone for rock, metal etc....I figure we get an appreciation thread going.  What are you liking nowadays, which did you think would not be good for rock, but turned out nicely.  I love Grados, but they are not the only game in town when it comes to rock.  Maybe they are, but that's what this thread is all about...
beerchug.gif

Rock On!!!!!

I'm bringing in the New Year with a little EoS (Crimson).  Forty minutes of speed, melody, transitions, riffs and overall rockin'...A masterpiece...And that's just one track...lol

Lovin' it at the moment with Ultrasone PRO750 --> Matrix Mini-i dac --> Mapletree Ear+ HD (2x RCA 12B4A & Sylvania 7025).

Good times!!!

Which headphones and gear are you rockin'?...

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 71
My setup is in my signature, and the HE-400's are wonderful with metal. Better than the DT-990 Edition's in my opinion which I've seen recommended quite often. Drums sound sooo good.

Examples of metal I enjoy a lot, some awesome industrial provided by Sybreed:

And some sweet melodic death metal from my country
beyersmile.png

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #3 of 71
All I listen to is metal. Lately I've been on a stoner/doom binge. Just found a band called Witchcraft and am pretty amazed by them. I travel for work so I don't have any crazy home setup but my Sony Z1000s and Yuin PK2s come with me everywhere I go. I use my iPhone and a Fiio e11 as my source. The Sony's are amazingly detailed and handle instrument separation like absolute champs, something I find a lot of cans struggle with when it comes to metal. They are warm, very musical, and very comfortable to wear for long periods of time. My PK2s get the most use as they are in my ears for the entire work day. I got some Yurbuds sleeves for them and they effectively turned them into the single most comfortable pair of buds/IEMs that I've ever worn. I also own Shure e5c and se530 but haven't used either since setting up my Yuins. I can and do wear them all day long with no pain or fatigue whatsoever. The sleeves even help the sound quality- bass is deeper and tightened up quite a bit, and they seem to have improved the overall tone of them, though they need no improvement as is. Both sets of headphones are highly recommended. 

My PK2s with the Yurbuds-

And Witchcraft:

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 71
Nice to finally talk about actual music. Check out this band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfxMlcp7tww

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 71
Quote:

They're pretty good! Have you heard of Sheavy? They're one of my favorite bands, should be right up your alley:

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 71
Quote:

Nice...Like it!!!!!!  First vibe I got was a mix between .38 Special & Spin Doctors...
eek.gif

Gotta listen to the others before as well....

Still with the PRO750s but a bit mobile with an iBasso P3 Heron & iPod 5.5G (Rockboxed)...Gotta cook...lol]

Going back to a little thrash love...Easily one of the top 25 metal albums (as well as Youthanasia) of all time...

Cheers!!!

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 71
I listen to mostly prog rock and prog metal, stuff like Opeth, older Dream Theater, Haken, Threshold, To-mera, Epica, Oddland, Andromeda, Rush, Riverside, and so on. For this music at home I am currently using a Q701 with an E17 (with +2db bass boost) and my laptop via USB as the source. For portable I use an iPhone 4 (32GB) with the Vsonic GR01 with no EQ. I prefer a neutral, detailed, and fast sound signature with this kind of music. I actually use these same two setups for all my music, which also consists of various electronic music like ambient, downtempo, and even some dubstep from time to time. Sometimes with electronic when I use the Q701 I use the +4db bass boost on the E17 to make it a little more fun. This is the rock/metal headphone thread, though I just thought I should mention how versatile I consider these two fairly neutral phones to be.

I know most people seem to think the Q701 isn't well suited for rock and metal, but I highly disagree with that. There is nothing wrong with neutrality, detail, and a proper decay when listening to a well recorded rock or metal album. With the Q701 the bass is present, not overwhelming, but is very textured, but still punchy, and can still dig deep when the song calls for it. I personally think a slow overwhelming bass is a big no-no for rock and metal, all it does is get in the way. I'd describe the mid-range as rich, detailed, and smooth with just a touch of warmth. Vocals are up-front and crystal clear, as are electric guitars. I've actually never heard a headphone portray guitars like the Q701 does, not sure the best way to describe it though. I used to focus on drums when I listened to rock or metal, now guitars and vocals stand out more to me with the Q701, and to me it is quite an experience. I find the treble to of course be detailed and bright, but I also find the treble to be smooth, not harsh or sibilant. I'd use the term bright, but not harsh, they are also well extended up top. Cymbals are sparkly like they should be and there is plenty of air and space. Soundstage is of course big and wide like everybody says, I never think it's un-naturally wide though. Things still sound well placed, but I've never been a huge stickler when it comes to soundstage of headphones. It's not small or bothersome, so I can't complain.

The Q701 is of course revealing of bad recordings, low bit-rate files, and bad sources in general, which may be a problem. They don't hide much, which I think is a good thing, some don't think so.

ROCK ON EVERYBODY!!! Happy new year!   

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #8 of 71
Being Budget-FI,  I still Rock my Denon AHD 1000's straight out of my 3rd gen Touch via E11, It works and sounds damn good to these old ears.
Right now as I type, A MN+ Needle Drop of Budgie -Bandolier, up next  Original UK press of Wishbone Ash -Argus
Then I might harden it up a little with some Fates Warning- Still haven't made up my mind tho-either No Exit, Inside Out or Parallels, I'm leaning Inside Out...LOL

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #9 of 71
Following right behind Magicman, I too am currently budget-fi, sporting a Zune HD, Fiio E07K, and Panasonic RP-HT260's. The sound is great for everything I have thrown at it, from Becoming the Archetype to Dido.

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 71
I listen to mainly Extreme Metal (Sludge, Doom, Grind, Death, ect) as well as Avant-Garde Jazz, and Progressive Rock/RIO.  I currently have the Grado SR225i's.  While they do a lot right in the midrange, they lack the bottom end to fill out the sound for me.  I also want that slam/impact but with out being muddy.  My FiiO E17 has definitely helped out with the SR225i's bigtime, but I am still want for more.  Now, I am awaiting some AKG K167's to arrive and give a good shot at.  I can;t wait.

If any of you guys/gals have any considerations, feel free to let me know.  I am all ears here!  I am also looking into the GR07 for my portable iem setup as they are said to reproduce this music well.

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #11 of 71
Quote:
I listen to mainly Extreme Metal (Sludge, Doom, Grind, Death, ect) as well as Avant-Garde Jazz, and Progressive Rock/RIO.  I currently have the Grado SR225i's.  While they do a lot right in the midrange, they lack the bottom end to fill out the sound for me.  I also want that slam/impact but with out being muddy.  My FiiO E17 has definitely helped out with the SR225i's bigtime, but I am still want for more.  Now, I am awaiting some AKG K167's to arrive and give a good shot at.  I can;t wait.

If any of you guys/gals have any considerations, feel free to let me know.  I am all ears here!  I am also looking into the GR07 for my portable iem setup as they are said to reproduce this music well.

The GR07 will do well for this kind of music. The GR01 may do even better though. The GR01 is quicker, and more detailed, but has less bass quantity. The GR07 is a tad slower, a tad less detailed, but has more bass. 

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #12 of 71
Don't count out the Vsonic GR 02 BE.  If budget minded?   I've used the GR 07 and they are PERFECT for your tunes.  To rich for my blood tho:)

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #14 of 71
Alessandro MS2, Magnum v4 are my choices for metal. SR60 are great too... have modded some of those and the differences between them all aren't that substantial.

Wintersun - Time I is my favourite album from 2012.

btw Spittis, check out Neurotech for more cyber awesome metal, and Norther is one of my favourites from way back :)

or maybe listen to my band :lol:

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #15 of 71
Quote:
or maybe listen to my band :lol:

*video*

I did actually, found you on Spotify and the little I had time to listen now sounded pretty good! Going to listen through the whole album later when I have time. I liked Before The Blackened Sky
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back