The Ergo 2 Headphone
Feb 16, 2008 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SenjStevo

100+ Head-Fier
Sent a cheque to Sugden Audio UK first class on Wednesday afternoon and received a pair of brand spanking new Ergo 2 headphones today(Saturday morning). Great service. I'll get my Ergo amp from them soon, if they have it in stock.

The Ergo 2s cost £149 delievered and the Ergo 1 £109 i think according to the email correspondence with Sugden.

There is another a few other threads about this headphone, going back and a great post by Duggeh which basically sold these to me.

Here are my first impressions:

1. These are very comfortable, i really mean that, they are more comfortable then my pretty comfortable 595s. You can wear these in bed, i just tested because it pretty important for me. I didn't expect that. They are also very light.

2. You can run these unamped, well strictly speaking i havn't tried, but i'm using a really cheap Behringer MA-400 Headphone Amplifier(which is probably about as good as a cheap stereo one) straight out of my newly acquired Cambridge DX-1. As expected the Ergo sounds better then the 595 after initial listening, and i expect to notice more difference as i listen more, if i listen to my 595s again that is
smily_headphones1.gif
I am really enjoying the sound, it seems so musical, not harsh at all, just natural, while the Behringer made the 595s sound harsh, and slightly irritating. I'm looking forward to listening to these properly tonight and even more so when i get the amp.

3. The finish isn't great, the foam behind my ears is attached by a sort of sticky tap, which isn't completly covered. If my hair was short this wouldn't be a problem but since my hair certainly needs a cut, it has attached itself to me a few times with slightly painful results.

4. Like most people seem to say positioning seems important. The speaker pads are pretty big and as you move the phones up and down the sound noticably changes. I'm pretty happy so far with the natural resting position that the frame has been set at, where my ears are about 2 thirds down(kinda hard to judge without seeing myself). Moving further down brightens the sound a little.

The Ergo looks pretty rigid but it can be adjusted. I havn't tried because i'm happy with the position.

As you can see the adhesive is slightly exposed on this pad.

It's the same on the other pad.

My 595s and Ergos

Hmmm how i'm i going to solve the hair problem?

Hair cover is set! I'm ready to rock!

I've never heard Buckley sing so beautifully. Grace is taken to the next level.

The bandana is a success! The Ergos are comfort monsters!

My Ergos in their bed, and my modest rig.

And there we have it. I'll update this thread after some more listening and after i get a decent amp of course. After listening to OK Computer my thoughts are the Ergos are a little slow for rock, but this could be my imagination... dunno yet, as i've not heard comparable cans. Back to the bliss!

Feb 16, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 11
Congrats on the new acquisition. The foam behind the ears is definitely the my least favorite point on the design. I don't have long hair but occasionally the edge of my ears touches the sticky tape which is unpleasant.

Mine still get almost all of the head time a year later and have pretty well cured upgraditis. Well.... I am still tempted to get some 'stats but that's a little different (at least that's what I tell myself).

Ant

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 11
Ah, the ergo 2, wish I had one. When you can get one for £149, it makes me wonder why so many people are buying K701 and HD650 instead.

Feb 16, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #5 of 11
..... they'll instantly see that you prefer function over form
wink.gif

Honestly I don't mind the looks at all. Turns out I can't see them that much while I'm wearing them and really don't care much what anyone else thinks of the way they look on me anyway.

Ant

Feb 17, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by apostate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..... they'll instantly see that you prefer function over form
wink.gif

Or function over foam
smily_headphones1.gif

Did you consider the Ergo Amp 1? I've heard it drives the Ergos like nothing else can. Whats you source?

Feb 17, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #8 of 11
I'm using it with the setup in my sig. Squeezebox -> Proceed PAV/DSD -> Meier Corda Aria -> Ergo 2.

I'm not thrilled with what I've heard about for the Amp1 in general as an amp honestly (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/che...8/#post2487852 for example). Synergy might be great, and could be great for the price for the Ergo 2, but if I make an upgrade to the current system it will probably to go with a nice tube amp. No real reason other than I'd like to try out some tubes.

Really tempted to stop here with the Aria/Ergo2/AKG271s rig as a nice, simple computer rig and look to a 4070/Blue Hawaii type combo with the Proceed as the more serious rig (probably swapping the PAV/PDSD for an AVP2 as well).

Ant

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:23 AM Post #9 of 11
I don't want to spend too much money on an Amp and i'm only going to use it for the Ergos so it makes lots of sense for me. If i ever want to change headphones then it also means that the two will sell fine together due to the great synergy i've been hearing about.

Oct 30, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #10 of 11
Bumbo!

I couldn't google for Ergo 2's specs. What kind of impedance do they sport? Precide's site only talks about their Amps, not very helpful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, any new news on amps have you used with the Ergo 2s? Is their own Amp 1 still a strong choice?

Nov 1, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Bumbo!

I couldn't google for Ergo 2's specs. What kind of impedance do they sport? Precide's site only talks about their Amps, not very helpful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, any new news on amps have you used with the Ergo 2s? Is their own Amp 1 still a strong choice?

Oh well. Had to buy my own pair in order to get the fact sheet
smily_headphones1.gif
It's not that they cost an arm and leg. The bass is very overpowering for starters, and the sound is very "shallow", non-dynamic, when run from Marantz' integrated hp out. And I'm not sure if it's worth to invest to a headamp to try my chances when I have a nice K1000 rig anyway. Besides, I'm not even certain that the amp would help. I found the Stax 2020 nondynamic as well, when compared to the crystal bright K1000.

For the record, the box says:

Freq response 20-20000 Hz
Nominal impedance 100 Ohm
Sensitivity at 1 kHz: 96 dB
Power handling: 0.4 W
THD: < 0.3 %
Coupling to the ears: completely open
Weight: 380 g

Directly from memory I can tell these do better than the Senn HD650.. the imaging and guitarwork works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back