The Entry Level Stax Thread
Aug 29, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #316 of 3,322
Do you like your Lambdas when they clip and distort at only reasonably loud volumes on the small amp?

Just that alone, minus whatever other sonic improvements a better amp provides, was enough for me to switch to the SRM-1/MK2.

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #317 of 3,322
SR Lambda normal bias on the way to my home 
biggrin.gif

Ali

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #324 of 3,322
Quote:

I know where you got them. I was originally going to buy them before I snapped up a Pro and promptly went bankrupt.

Pourtant, le seul pro en vente sur leboncoin (celui avec la tête en verre) est dans les mains de mon vendeur, l'annonce n'a simplement pas été retirée 
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I was looking for a normal bias one 
wink.gif

Ali

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #325 of 3,322
Quote:
I posted this a couple days ago, but it seemed it got ignored, so I will repost instead of making a new thread. I bolded the important parts.

Quote:
Hey guys. I've been reading this thread off and on for awhile now, so if this has been brought up before, I might have missed it.

How different are the new lambdas to the older ones? I see many classifieds for older systems from the 80s and 90s that are lambdas and they come with like an SRD7 with them for not so much cash. I read on the "battle of the flagships' page that even the sigmas from 1970's were super highly rated even today. I am just curious how much the technology or the sound quality has changed over the years since electrostats have been around for awhile it seems.

Also, it's so hard distinguishing the models in those classifieds because many people just list them as "SR lambda purchased in 19XX." I've seen SRM-1/mk2 for sale at reasonable prices, but I don't know how it performs against the amp that comes in the 2170.

I am curious to find out if it might be better to get one of the older models of a higher model number vs a newer version at a lower model number.

Seriously, the technology hasn't changed much at all. You do get more sq for your money going vintage in general, but the prizes are going quite high due to increasing interest in vintage Stax.

The general consensus is, that the newer stuff isn't superior to the older Stax at all, even if you compare something like the sr-507 with srm-006 to something like the older lambda models with a srm-t1, which once upon was around as high up the ladder as the sr-507/srm-006 is today.
That is how I understand it at least... And ofc there are some that like the newer stuff better as well.

Bottom line: You get more for your money with srm-1 mk2 and a vintage lambda for the money against a 2170 system, according to many. But it does indeed involve some risks.

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #326 of 3,322
Sweet! The SR 507 on staxusa.com went down to $925 from the $1000+ they were before... really thinking of getting one as my first electrostat headphones.

I'm upgrading from a HD650 with a Lyr/Bifrost, I'm looking towards the 407 or 507 (400 dollar difference??) as well as a amp for them. Which is a better upgrade? I have never listened to any electrostats before. One thing I really like about my HD650 is the comfort. Looking at those Stax headphones, well, they don't seem very comfy... are they?

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #327 of 3,322
I've actually heard that most people dislike the 507 for being too bright compared to other Lambdas. Considering the fact I've owned and heard the 303 and the Pro, and both of those are also fairly bright, I would stay away from the 507 unless you like a lot of treble.

All Lambdas are quite comfortable because they weigh almost nothing on your head thanks to the headband. They're kinda long on the jaw if your face is small.

Aug 29, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #328 of 3,322
Sweet! The SR 507 on staxusa.com went down to $925 from the $1000+ they were before... really thinking of getting one as my first electrostat headphones.

I'm upgrading from a HD650 with a Lyr/Bifrost, I'm looking towards the 407 or 507 (400 dollar difference??) as well as a amp for them. Which is a better upgrade? I have never listened to any electrostats before. One thing I really like about my HD650 is the comfort. Looking at those Stax headphones, well, they don't seem very comfy... are they?

Based on my brief experience with a few pairs of HD650, I think even the SRS-2170 would be a real upgrade in sound.
Even the SRS-2170 responds well to a good DAC like the Bifrost I've never used a Bifrost with Stax, but I've tried my 2170 with a few DACs of varying quality, you can really hear the benefits of a good DAC with the 2170 system.

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #329 of 3,322
Hey Thanks! Please send a cheque to..............(OK, I jest!)I've heard the SRS-2170 and the ESP950.The bad news it was 4 months apart under totally different circumstances, but I thought the ESP 950 merely sounded OK, a bit dull perhaps.I think the SRS-2170 sounds great for the $$$.

Hahaha, I can send you the cheque but then I can't buy the 2170. :p

Thanks for the link. Yes, your impression similar to mine.
950: more upfront vocal and slightly boosted mids, punchy bass.
2170: slightly more 'distant' vocal, more 'sparkling', but then of couse I can hear surrounding better, hence better soundstage

Hearing those 950 issues I am a bit worried. Repairing them is not the best idea too. Their service center is only working OFFICE HOUR 9-5, no weekends, so I have to go DURING office hour, but their office is far and away in a hidden place 'where no one has gone before'. It takes me 3 hrs back and forth from office.
ANDDDD, that is only half of the story ... I have to COLLECT them after repair, repeat process above!!!! ...........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back