The Entry Level Stax Thread
Dec 29, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #3,226 of 3,322
i am thinking about maybe buying a entry level stax setup. Would it be a upgrade form the headphone i have now ?
What kind of a different sound would i get ?

Jan 11, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #3,227 of 3,322
i am thinking about maybe buying a entry level stax setup. Would it be a upgrade form the headphone i have now ?
What kind of a different sound would i get ?
You may notice an increase in detail, and faster transients compared to yours. Bass maybe less, as I am not sure about your headphone amp. Btter soundstage than your closed backs.

Jan 15, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #3,228 of 3,322
Hello, noobie here to Stax. I received an L300 on Monday that is very impressive! Unfortunately it came to me with a mended headband and pads that were absolutely flat. I remembered that I had a new pair of Chinese ESP 95X pads. I popped off one pad to see how close the fitment might be. It was perfect! The effect was much better bass and a better sound stage.
Here is the link and some pics. I need to do some work with an exacto knife so that all of the pins protrude. $12.75 to my mail box.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_3,searchweb201603_53
IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

Apr 14, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #3,230 of 3,322
So, I'm looking at getting back into Lambdas. I see similar deals on 404, 507 and L500 around the price range I'm looking in. Is it worth getting the old phones, or should I try some of the current vintage? Also, am I the only one that consistently likes the Lambdas more than the 009 and even my SR 007mkII?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #3,232 of 3,322
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm about to (re)enter the world of Stax. I have a few questions.
I'm thinking of buying an L700mkII with an 006ts energizer.

-Would the new SRM 700t be a big improvement or overkill? Has anyone tried it out?

-I'll be using the Stax system to listen to vinyl. Does anyone have experience with that?

I'd like to get in contact with people who listen to vinyl on their Stax. I'm curious about their experience.

Oct 4, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #3,233 of 3,322
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm about to (re)enter the world of Stax. I have a few questions.

-Would the new SRM 700t be a big improvement or overkill? Has anyone tried it out?

-I'll be using the Stax system to listen to vinyl. Does anyone have experience with that?

I'd like to get in contact with people who listen to vinyl on their Stax. I'm curious about their experience.
To be fair, I think you can try some old stax amps like t1s and t1w. I am currently enjoying these combo.

Oct 4, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #3,236 of 3,322
The T1/006 and the new 700t are basically the same with slight modernization - consensus is to go aftermarket or do a constant current source mod to replace the loading resistors to get more power
Thanks for your reply.
That's a quite an upcharge for a nearly identical energizer then. I have read about people recommending non Stax energizers, but because the SRM 700T is new, I expected Stax to come up with a decent Stax alternative for aftermarket solutions.

Still I'm curious about the consensus when it comes to Stax energizer synergy with the L700mkII. I'm not sure if I want to buy an aftermarket energizer. It will definitely be way more expensive than the SRM 006TS. Also I'd have to order it from the USA and have it shipped to the Netherlands. Tax and warranty/servicing would be an issue.

Oct 4, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #3,238 of 3,322
The T1/006 amps use the 6CG7/6FQ7 output tube, which is a 9 pin miniature tube that is similar to the older 6SN7(GTB?) octal output tube that is used in the T700T. Reportedly the input and intermediate stages of the two amps are very similar, if not identical. The output specs for the new model are identical to those for the T1/006. Both amps use output plate resistors, which means that they burn up the majority of the signal current in the resistors, leaving less signal current to drive the headphones, compared to the Stax sold state amps, which use constant current loads. This results in lower maximum output and increased distortion, resulting in relatively loose bass, rolled off highs, and less detail, especially at higher volume levels.

Oct 4, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #3,239 of 3,322

For me, Stax, like many high end, transparent headphones, provide a joyous musical experience, and reveal flaws in the upstream recordings and components. Doesn’t matter whether source is vinyl, cd, digital downloads, analog tape, etc.

Oct 5, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #3,240 of 3,322
Thanks for your reply.
That's a quite an upcharge for a nearly identical energizer then... I expected Stax to come up with a decent Stax alternative for aftermarket solutions.

I don't know why you'd want to bother with a Stax tube energiser. Just get a 353X solid state and be done with it unless you want to spend a lot more and go 3rd party. The 353X is widely regarded as a very good Stax energiser, and the law of diminishing returns seriously applies to energisers at or above this price anyway.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back