The Entry Level Stax Thread
Nov 10, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #3,197 of 3,322
There are storage boxes that are airtight with foam inserts.
Search for Apache cases. They are available in the US at
Harbor Freight stores.
A tool box with foam
63926_W3.jpg

Nov 10, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #3,198 of 3,322
image.jpeg
nice option, please post pict on how it is set up.

Well OK, but hardly worth a pic. The cover over the Woo WA6 is a toaster cover that just happens to fit perfectly.

Nov 10, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #3,199 of 3,322
which is better sr407 or sr404 ?
* I not believe that there is a different between sr404 and sr404LE

to hard to put back the headphones inside the typical box.
the only ES headphones that comes with original quality box is sr007/sr009
what other box is recommended ?

For me, the 404LE has more realistic timbre of instruments, and a much smoother transition into low bass.

Nov 16, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #3,201 of 3,322
I have same problem as him. I opend up the back panel and notice something strange.

According to T1's circuit, R24 resistor is 51kΩ and it has green color.
But my L-ch R24 measured 158Ω and has blue color.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #3,202 of 3,322
I have same problem as him. I opend up the back panel and notice something strange.

According to T1's circuit, R24 resistor is 51kΩ and it has green color.
But my L-ch R24 measured 158Ω and has blue color.
Any ideas?

BBIIDqQ.jpg

L1Ds0NT.jpg
Not recommend to measure resistors while they connected

I cant see good the coloring
something like 16?
Resistor_color_codes.jpg

another thread pictore:
8357318.jpg

from here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/stax-srm-t1-repair-re-cap-mod.796058/

but on this board (older SRM-T1) there is no resistor at all
9934458.jpg

so, maybe there is lots of T1 versions.

like my SRM-1 MK2 proffesional that older then regular SRM-1 MK2
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/need-some-suggestions-to-recap-stax-srm-1.905395/

do someone tried to do srm-t1 modification ? (or srm-1)
I'm really want to try

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #3,203 of 3,322
I bought an used Stax SR-207 together with a SRM-1 MKII (B serial number) a while ago.
I instantly fell in love with them and now decided to upgrade to an L700 MKII.

Now I'm thinking I maybe need to upgrade my amp or "energizer" as well. I read a lot through the different forums, reddit and I have to admit i did not read all the 200 pages of this thread but around half and there is so much information I'm kinda confused now. I acknowledge that there is also a lot of subjectivity to that matter.

Also a lot of people seem to think that certain earspeakers synergize well with certain amps, so I'd like to hear your opinion/experience with L700 MKII combinations, especially since there seems to be a common ground on MKII sounding a bit different to the MKI.

I want to have a solid state and a tube amp. Price as for now is not THAT of an issue since I am looking for used devices, but it should be around ~<2000€/$

Solid state:
A lot of people say, that the SRM1 MKII is one of the better Stax amps, "especially the models with C serial number", which I obviously don't have. Still that thing is from the 80s, is the "higher quality parts" argument really holding up against maybe advanced technology (if there is)?

So I would have a few options here:

SRM 323 s/II, SRM 353X, SRM 353X Ltd (Is it really an upgrade to the not limited edition?)

D50: this one I don't really consider, especially after reading some peoples probems with humming, also I already have a DAC.

Is a solid state upgrade even worth it?

Tube:
There are the 006t and 007t, in my newbie's perspective one has two tubes the other one 4. Well what difference exactly does that make? Will the sound be just more "tubey" with more tubes?
There are also MKII versions. Are they significantly better or would you just go with the MKI?

Then there is the 006tS which seems to be a hybrid amp?

I am open to buying non-Stax amps, if they are really better. Although the really good models I often read about, are most of the time too expensive.

Thanks for reading.

Dec 12, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #3,204 of 3,322
I bought an used Stax SR-207 together with a SRM-1 MKII (B serial number) a while ago.

Now I'm thinking I maybe need to upgrade my amp or "energizer" as well. I read a lot through the different forums, reddit and I have to admit i did not read all the 200 pages of this thread but around half and there is so much information I'm kinda confused now. I acknowledge that there is also a lot of subjectivity to that matter.

Also a lot of people seem to think that certain earspeakers synergize well with certain amps, so I'd like to hear your opinion/experience with L700 MKII combinations, especially since there seems to be a common ground on MKII sounding a bit different to the MKI.

I want to have a solid state and a tube amp. Price as for now is not THAT of an issue since I am looking for used devices, but it should be around ~<2000€/$

Solid state:
A lot of people say, that the SRM1 MKII is one of the better Stax amps, "especially the models with C serial number", which I obviously don't have. Still that thing is from the 80s, is the "higher quality parts" argument really holding up against maybe advanced technology (if there is)?

SRM 323 s/II, SRM 353X, SRM 353X Ltd (Is it really an upgrade to the not limited edition?)

D50: this one I don't really consider, especially after reading some peoples probems with humming, also I already have a DAC.

Tube:
There are the 006t and 007t, in my newbie's perspective one has two tubes the other one 4. Well what difference exactly does that make? Will the sound be just more "tubey" with more tubes?
There are also MKII versions. Are they significantly better or would you just go with the MKI?

I am open to buying non-Stax amps, if they are really better. Although the really good models I often read about, are most of the time too expensive.

Thanks for reading.
Not having answers about Tube amps and "SRM 323 s/II, SRM 353X, SRM 353X Ltd" that you asked

I am interested too if Srm-1 can good amp the L700 ?

also:
L700 mk2 is very expensive headphones!
they only upgrade it with removable cable feature.

L300LTD cost half of it with L300 pads and cable but with L700 driver.

I also bought the Sr-202 in really bad condition and was really disappointed

Dec 12, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #3,205 of 3,322

Solid state:

Tube:

Thanks for reading.

I bought a L500 with a SRM323II and a 006tII.
The SRM323II I had already received 2 days before. Well, the 006tII is definitely better, more stage, a bit more bass, warmer ... and strangely makes CDs sound much better. SACDs anyway.
I‘ll sell the SRM323II. I heard also from many people that the Hybrid amps harmonize much better with a Lambda.

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #3,206 of 3,322
I don't think the l300 is the same exact driver as the l700

353 limited is the same as non limited but in black

All the tube amps currently available are all hybrids - the 4 tubes has a bit more power, but not worth while - all the 006/007 are based on the old srm t1 design

Others can chime in

Dec 13, 2019 at 1:07 AM Post #3,207 of 3,322
L300 -- L700
Same stator but different diaphragm

similar but not same - so they are different

Dec 13, 2019 at 3:34 AM Post #3,208 of 3,322
I already ordered the L700 MKII a few weeks ago. I read because of the better clamp, the deeper frequencies are better. Also the changeable cable and aluminium headband were a factor, I want to keep it as long as possible, it will always be put under the plastic protector so it hopefully lives a long time :)

So it doesn't really make a difference which of the hybrid amps to buy old or new?

I don't think the l300 is the same exact driver as the l700

353 limited is the same as non limited but in black

All the tube amps currently available are all hybrids - the 4 tubes has a bit more power, but not worth while - all the 006/007 are based on the old srm t1 design

Others can chime in

What do you mean by "more power"?

As for the solid state: are the 323 and 353 amps even a upgrade to my SRM1-MKII?
Or which solid state can you recommend?

Dec 13, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #3,209 of 3,322
No experience with the SS amps - I think the 717 and 727 are still the preferred, and I think the 323 and 353 are very similar

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-stax-717-vs-old-srm-3.159975/#post-1888963

The 007 has a tiiny bit more drive power, which helps with bass response, but not by much (if that's what you want, you may end up looking into the Kevin Gilmore amps)- many say it's not worth the expense - keep in mind the older T1 models may need new capacitors at this point

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #3,210 of 3,322
So, the solid state amps. The stock 727 doesn't have global feedback, which messes up the sound. The global feedback mod is easy to do, and with it the 717 reportedly beats the 717, but invalidates the warranty. The 323 is a different design from the 353, which according to Kevin Gilmore is a simplified 717,

The hybrid tube output amps are all very similar topology from the T1 through 006 and 007, differing mainly in the output stage (T1 and 006 have one 6CG7 per channel, 007 has 2 6CG7s per channel, the new more expensive tube amp has one 6SN7 per channel). However, all share the drawback of using plate resistors, which cripples their power output compared to the solid state amps, which use constant current (CC) loads. the use of CC loads more than doubles the effective power output of the amp, as current isn't being burned up in the resistors. A modified T1 with constant current loads on the output stage sounds at least as good to me as a global feedback modded 727 IMHO, but of course you'll have to DIY, and the older amps such as the T1 will also need their electrolytic caps replaces as they are way past their sell by date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back