The Entry Level Stax Thread
Apr 25, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #2,836 of 3,322
Does anyone know how to tell SR-Lambda's apart? I just got a pair from my dad, and I can't tell if I should put it in the pro or normal socket.

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #2,838 of 3,322
Does anyone know how to tell SR-Lambda's apart? I just got a pair from my dad, and I can't tell if I should put it in the pro or normal socket.
5 pins PRO, 6 pins Normal...
Exactly correct. Just looked at my SRM-1 amp, and the "Normal" plug adds a center pin to make 6 total.

May 2, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #2,839 of 3,322
Hi

I'm interested to try some Stax system / ear-speakers for the first time.
I'm looking at entry-level systems such as the 2170 or 3100. I have a few questions :

1) I read a lot of threads and apparently some older Lambda models are highly praised (such as the SR-404 or Lambda Nova Signature). How do they compare to the current entry-level offerings ? (SR207/L300 mainly). Older secondhand Lambdas can be found at a good price (with or without an amp).

2) I know that most Stax Lambda are slightly bright. I dont mind a bright signature, however how would a SR-207 or L300 compare to a HD600 in sound ? The HD600 is my reference for A/B testing when I listen to another pair of headphone, I know perfectly the sound of the HD600. Sometimes the upper-midrange (around 3 khz) of the HD600 is 2 dB more than what I like, and they lack subbass extension. Midbass is fine even if sometimes I add 1 dB in EQ. My question is : are there some Lambda models that have at least the same midbass as the HD600, but with better extension, and a less shouty upper midrange ?

Thanks for your answers.

May 2, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #2,840 of 3,322
Hi

I'm looking at entry-level systems such as the 2170 or 3100. I have a few questions :

1) I read a lot of threads and apparently some older Lambda models are highly praised (such as the SR-404 or Lambda Nova Signature). How do they compare to the current entry-level offerings ? (SR207/L300 mainly). Older secondhand Lambdas can be found at a good price (with or without an amp).

2) I know that most Stax Lambda are slightly bright. I dont mind a bright signature, however how would a SR-207 or L300 compare to a HD600 in sound ? The HD600 is my reference for A/B testing when I listen to another pair of headphone, I know perfectly the sound of the HD600. Sometimes the upper-midrange (around 3 khz) of the HD600 is 2 dB more than what I like, and they lack subbass extension. Midbass is fine even if sometimes I add 1 dB in EQ. My question is : are there some Lambda models that have at least the same midbass as the HD600, but with better extension, and a less shouty upper midrange ?

Thanks for your answers.
Aha!! Something I can answer!

My ears classify my 2170 system as a fairly direct upgrade to HD600, with roughly the same FR (that is to say, approximately neutral). Best way I can describe it is HD600 with about a 2dB boost across the board........more forward, more energetic, and MUCH faster.

I don't hear excess brightness, but 2 factors possibly play into that. First, my hearing is far from perfect. And second, I likely listen at a quieter volume than most.

If you enjoy HD600, I feel it's quite likely you would enjoy the 2170 system as well. I can't make other comparisons in your list, as i haven't heard them.

May 4, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #2,844 of 3,322
According to most impressions it doesn't need a whole lot of amping to sound good, so I suggest an SRM-T1(S), SRM-006t(ii) or similar.
Alternatively, there is the SRM-353X if you prefer solid-state (or SRM-323S if you don't need balanced input).

Thank you !
I was thinking of the SRM-323S but, sorry newby, don´t understand this: "if you don't need balanced input" How would I know ? Thanks !

May 4, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #2,845 of 3,322
Hi

Thanks for your answers.

There is an SR-Lambda on French ebay right now (with slight cosmetic cable damage)
You might want to seriously look into that, and you can also check my review as well, ever since I got a good pair, I still swear by them (maybe I ought to revise that, I made a few small tweaks and have some further observations)
It is clear upgrade over the HD600 and it is the smoothest of all Lambdas, I haven't heard the latest generation yet, but I prefer these to all the rest.
You can either use an SRM-1 Mk2 Pro or the SRM-T1(S) or maybe the SRM-006t to drive these (I prefer the T1, but all of them are good)

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #2,846 of 3,322
Thank you !
I was thinking of the SRM-323S but, sorry newby, don´t understand this: "if you don't need balanced input" How would I know ? Thanks !

If your source (DAC) has XLR outputs (and you use XLR interconnect cables) then you might be better off with the newer one (you get some extra gain).
If it has RCA output only and you use RCA cables, then the 323S should be good enough.

May 4, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #2,847 of 3,322
If your source (DAC) has XLR outputs (and you use XLR interconnect cables) then you might be better off with the newer one (you get some extra gain).
If it has RCA output only and you use RCA cables, then the 323S should be good enough.

Thanks great ! That is very clarifying: I normally use it with an Iphone 7 -> Chord/Mojo AMP/DAC with RCA cables. So...323S would be fine.

I suppose the Chord/Mojo has XLR outputs ¿? Would it be better to use those ? What do the XLR interconnect cables look like ? Sorry for so many questions ! Thanks !

May 4, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #2,848 of 3,322
It has an unbalanced minijack output connector, so you can use a minijack-RCA interconnect cable to connect it to a Stax amp.

Although the signal always goes through a built-in portable headphone amp as well (there is no DAC only output), so it may not be the best source to use a Stax system with (the Hugo does have a separate RCA output so you can bypass its internal amp).

May 4, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #2,849 of 3,322
It has an unbalanced minijack output connector, so you can use a minijack-RCA interconnect cable to connect it to a Stax amp.

Although the signal always goes through a built-in portable headphone amp as well (there is no DAC only output), so it may not be the best source to use a Stax system with (the Hugo does have a separate RCA output so you can bypass its internal amp).

Thank you ! Much obliged.

May 4, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #2,850 of 3,322
Good Morning !

Could some kind members suggest some good amps for the SR-L 700 s ?

Thanks !
I also wouldn’t overlook the vintage srm1 mk2 professional. Dirt cheap and nice power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back