The Entry Level Stax Thread
Feb 23, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #2,538 of 3,322
Cheers. Looking for an all rounder that I can just put on and listen away for hours whatever the usage. While reviews,have always highlighted stax's clarity, wasn't sure how they fared if they were the only headphones you had.

Eyeing the SRS-3100
smily_headphones1.gif

I think a lot of people have Stax as their only headphones, because for many of us here, it's hard to enjoy dynamics after having heard Stax.

Friends that ask me what headphone to get......I tell them to bite the bullet, skip everything and buy Stax. Even just the lowest model.

I still have a Dynamic in TH-X00 when I want a bass-heavy presentation. Everything else in my collection gathers dust.

Feb 23, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #2,539 of 3,322
Friends that ask me what headphone to get......I tell them to bite the bullet, skip everything and buy Stax. Even just the lowest model.

I still have a Dynamic in TH-X00 when I want a bass-heavy presentation. Everything else in my collection gathers dust.

Cool. Was afraid the hyper clarity might contribute to fatigue

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #2,540 of 3,322
Could someone please edumecate me regarding the "SRD-7 Spritzer modified" ? I'm reading through various Stax threads and stumbled upon that sentence.

​The SRD-7 is originally a transformer box which only provides normal bias. Therefore it is not optimal for the modern pro bias earspeakers. This is also the reason that, when it comes up for sale, it is usually quite cheap. The pro bias transformer boxes are usually more expensive, yet the only difference between the normal bias and pro bias transformer boxes is in the bias circuit, and not in the actual transformers for the audio signal. Spritzer, a very knowledgeable member who unfortunately doesn't visit these forums anymore, made small PCBs in the past with which you could convert normal bias transformer boxes to pro bias. I'm not sure whether he still sells them, but if so, you will most likely find it on his website mjolnir-audio.com, or you could send him an email.

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #2,542 of 3,322
Cool. Was afraid the hyper clarity might contribute to fatigue

​No, not at all. Stax present all the detail and clarity in an utter effortless way. It is simply there. They don't need spiky treble to achieve that, so there is no fatigue due to that, such as on the HD800 for example (for me).

I was going to say basically the same thing you did.

I feel like a gambler trying out all these four-figure non-electrostats (HD 800, Elear, TH900, and, next, LCD-X) and not getting the natural transparency of STAX even when they outperform the SR-207 in certain ways.

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #2,543 of 3,322

​The SRD-7 is originally a transformer box which only provides normal bias. Therefore it is not optimal for the modern pro bias earspeakers. This is also the reason that, when it comes up for sale, it is usually quite cheap. The pro bias transformer boxes are usually more expensive, yet the only difference between the normal bias and pro bias transformer boxes is in the bias circuit, and not in the actual transformers for the audio signal. Spritzer, a very knowledgeable member who unfortunately doesn't visit these forums anymore, made small PCBs in the past with which you could convert normal bias transformer boxes to pro bias. I'm not sure whether he still sells them, but if so, you will most likely find it on his website mjolnir-audio.com, or you could send him an email.

Thanks Michgelsen -- I'm going to check-out that website.

I'm trying to understand if these transformer boxes are worthwhile to pursue, or if I should just save money and go for an amp proper.  I'm currently negotiating to buy a vintage SRM1/mk2 amplifier.

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #2,544 of 3,322

Thanks Michgelsen -- I'm going to check-out that website.

I'm trying to understand if these transformer boxes are worthwhile to pursue, or if I should just save money and go for an amp proper.  I'm currently negotiating to buy a vintage SRM1/mk2 amplifier.

​I don't have any experience with transformer boxes, but I see people recommending proper amps over transformer boxes all the time...

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #2,546 of 3,322

I think a lot of people have Stax as their only headphones, because for many of us here, it's hard to enjoy dynamics after having heard Stax.

Too true.

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #2,547 of 3,322
Just bought the SRS-3100! Should be here next week. Can't wait.

I have a question since I wear glasses: which aftermarket pads do you guys enjoy with these? I'm thinking of getting the Brainwavz ones.

Thanks

I wear glasses and normally don't have any trouble with the stock pads on my 207's however, I had no idea Brainwaves made a pad that fits the Stax..... do you have a link to them? Which pads were you considering?

James

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #2,548 of 3,322
I was considering just gluing HM5 sheepskin pads to my head then wearing the phones. Or just attaching the pads with some light double sided tape after detaching the stock ones. There doesn't seem to be many options.

Also, will this 200 watt step down transformer be good enough for a srm-252s japanese amp? https://www.amazon.com/VCT-VT-200J-Japanese-Transformer-Converts/dp/B004S2COIC

Has anyone used this VCT brand?

I've heard that Jap 100V will run on US 120V ok but the seller says I should get a transformer. Is this true?

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #2,549 of 3,322
  I have a question since I wear glasses: which aftermarket pads do you guys enjoy with these? I'm thinking of getting the Brainwavz ones.

I wear glasses and normally don't have any trouble with the stock pads on my 207's however, I had no idea Brainwaves made a pad that fits the Stax..... do you have a link to them? Which pads were you considering?

I was considering just gluing HM5 sheepskin pads to my head then wearing the phones. Or just attaching the pads with some light double sided tape after detaching the stock ones. There doesn't seem to be many options.

I've heard that Jap 100V will run on US 120V ok but the seller says I should get a transformer. Is this true?

Although I could wear my glasses with the 207, it interfered with the comfort and sound quality too much. The only headphones I wear my glasses with are the Koss KTXPRO1 and Porta Pro, since they don't even touch them. I just take my glasses off when wearing most headphones. (And sometimes tape a prescription clip-in optical insert like this to my face...lol) I'd like to get Morpheus-style glasses with no temples in the future, which would solve this little problem.

I bought the Brainwavz sheepskin leather pads to use with the Yamaha HPH-MT220 (my favorite closed-back), but it ended up ruining the sound for the most part. I'll have to use it with other headphones. Some pads can mess with the sound in a way that's not worth it, and it's difficult to tell how they will pair with your headphones without trying it first. I've learned that positive impressions are not reliable at all.

You can fry your amp if you don't use a voltage transformer.

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #2,550 of 3,322

Although I could wear my glasses with the 207, it interfered with the comfort and sound quality too much. The only headphones I wear my glasses with are the Koss KTXPRO1 and Porta Pro, since they don't even touch them. I just take my glasses off when wearing most headphones. (And sometimes tape a prescription clip-in optical insert like this to my face...lol) I'd like to get Morpheus-style glasses with no temples in the future, which would solve this little problem.

I bought the Brainwavz sheepskin leather pads to use with the Yamaha HPH-MT220 (my favorite closed-back), but it ended up ruining the sound for the most part. I'll have to use it with other headphones. Some pads can mess with the sound in a way that's not worth it, and it's difficult to tell how they will pair with your headphones without trying it first. I've learned that positive impressions are not reliable at all.

You can fry your amp if you don't use a voltage transformer.

Yes, I agree for the most part sound quality is always better with stock pads. You can see zeos use different pads here: https://youtu.be/R869ABpfdaM?t=1092 and he doesn't think it makes as much difference as other headphones. It's interesting how he puts the pads on ear first haha. I think I will order the Brainwavz sheepskin and try it at least.

Yes, I will get a step down transformer thank you. Is 200 watts enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back