The Entry Level Stax Thread
Aug 12, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #2,236 of 3,322

Thank you. :)  One last question if you don't mind... How do we know round plug is negative inside pole and positive outside pole? I guess that it is the most critical matter and I checked some of spare adapter at home and could not see anything saying on adapter that the round plug has negative inside the pole. 

​It should say so in the manual in what way you should attach the plug to the wire. You can simply flip it over to reverse polarity. The white wire will be the plus, and the black the minus, or vice versa. It's as simple as attaching the plug in the right direction. You can always check it with a multimeter if you like.

Thank you very much. I do not have the product with manual yet (on its way). I found this adapter and I guess that this should work since it has negative tip and it is 12V 1.5 amp. Would it work in your opinion? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151933743261?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT   Thank you.

Aug 12, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #2,237 of 3,322
It doesn't say what the outer diameter of the plug is, but I think it will work. I have an 'official' European Stax adapter for the SRM-252 right here, which is only rated for 500mA, so 1500 is more than adequate. I do not have calipers on hand right now, so I can't measure the inner diameter, but I have seen various people say that it's 2.1mm, and if I hold a ruler next to the pin on the 252, it looks to be 2mm. So: yes, the one you linked to should work. Where did you find what plug size it needs to be? I guess it's 5.5mm outer, 2.1mm inner, but can't be sure right now.

I also saw this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-AC-DC-1000MA-1A-LINEAR-TRANSFORMER-POWER-SUPPLY-ADAPTER-240V-2-1MM-NEGATIVE-/322184543844?hash=item4b03b1fe64:g:ss4AAOSwbYZXfgiW
It is a linear power supply, with a transformer. The other one is a switch-mode power supply, which can be noisy if it's poorly made. However, it is regulated, whereas the linear one is not. You should decide whether you want the linear one, with possibly cleaner power delivery, or the regulated one. I don't think it matters much.

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #2,238 of 3,322
Spritzer still sells the universal power supply for that amp pretty cheap too. $35+shipping IIRC. And no guesswork about quality or polarity.

Makes me wonder what a proper regulated PSU, like a modified golden reference LV PSU would be like for it though.

Aug 25, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #2,242 of 3,322
Hi
finally I manage to get my hands in a Lambda pro normal Bias and SRD-X pro energiser.

very impress with the sound. I use a Pono player as a source.

I am thinking in buying 8 C rechargeable batteries (currently reaching 6000 mAh). This is almost 2 times old batteries capacity around 1990.

A portable Stax systems sounds weird, but...who cares!

One question. I have no idea of the year of my headphones. Serial number is 14422... any thoughts?

cheers. I hope to enjoy this thread!

Aug 25, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #2,243 of 3,322
Just received my TH-X00 Purplehearts! While they certainly don't dethrone my Stax in terms of overall fidelity, they are quite good. Exactly as I expected.

X00 bass is mouth-wateringly monstrous :) They will serve my basshead needs very well. Mids are recessed, but I can't tell until I switch to my Stax and they're suddenly there. Highs are a bit strident when the volume is turned up, but apparently they tame after a lot of burn-in. I have no reason to doubt the community perception, so I'll assume this will be the case with my pair.

When I ordered them about 6 months ago, they were intended to be the basshead companion to my neutral HD600 daily driver.

Then I purchased my Stax, which easily and completely surpassed my HD600. If you're looking at HD600, IMO there's no reason to purchase them instead of Stax.....unless you need some semblance of portability, of course :p My brain would classify my 2170 system as largely neutral, like HD600, but W-shaped with a roughly +2db boost across the board. More forward, more lively and energetic, more extension, more precise. They excel at speed, yet are still amazingly adept in slower, smoother, more technical passages.

The pairing of X00 and Stax is, to my ears anyway, a match made in heaven! I am utterly and completely satisfied at this point (though neither one has an excessively wide soundstage, given the fidelity they output I frankly don't care).

I wholeheartedly recommend this combo to others who may be seeking the same :)

And of course the beauty of a Stax setup is that my DAC feeds my 252S, which in turn passthroughs to my headphone amp. So I can have both playing simultaneously and switch freely between the two.

Put another way: if my brain had to assign a monetary value to the overall audio experience with a pair of headphones, HD600 would be a $400-$500 headphone. X00 PH would be roughly a $750 headphone. And my Stax 2170 system would be roughly $1000. Keep in mind, I have NOT heard any TOTL headphones at that price range, and will not make direct comparisons. These are just generic values my brain would assign.

As always, your own experiences and opinions may vary.

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #2,245 of 3,322
  Hi
finally I manage to get my hands in a Lambda pro normal Bias and SRD-X pro energiser.
  One question. I have no idea of the year of my headphones. Serial number is 14422... any thoughts?

Pros are probias, not normal bias. The number of pins on the jack will tell you what it is, 6 normal, 5 pro.

Normal bias Lambda is 79-81
Lambda pro is 82-87

SRDX-pro is 86. So if you have a lambda pro and they came together as a set I would bet they are both from around that time. I wager they sound pretty darn good for 30+ year old headphones. Take the time to recap the amp too if you get a chance and have the equipment. It will sound quite a bit better.

Aug 26, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #2,246 of 3,322
Pros are probias, not normal bias. The number of pins on the jack will tell you what it is, 6 normal, 5 pro.

Normal bias Lambda is 79-81
Lambda pro is 82-87

SRDX-pro is 86. So if you have a lambda pro and they came together as a set I would bet they are both from around that time. I wager they sound pretty darn good for 30+ year old headphones. Take the time to recap the amp too if you get a chance and have the equipment. It will sound quite a bit better.

Thank you for the clarifications and sugestions.
You are right!
They are in a hard to believe condition, very good for a 30 years old gear.
Love them very much....

Sep 3, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #2,247 of 3,322
I have a 2170 system that sounds great, but the pads on the 207s have a protrusion on the lower back corner, presumably meant to fill in the space behind my jaw and make a tight seal. Instead, all it does is push on my *mumble*chiropractor told me the name but I can't remember*mumble* muscle and give me severe neck cramps and pain after about 30 to 60 minutes of listening.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a known solution? Or am I going to have to modify the pads to trim down this bump and custom form them to my head?

What is the conventional wisdom on replacing/upgrading these pads? If I'm going to replace/modify the pads, I'd rather upgrade while I'm at it.

Sep 3, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #2,248 of 3,322
I have a 2170 system that sounds great, but the pads on the 207s have a protrusion on the lower back corner, presumably meant to fill in the space behind my jaw and make a tight seal. Instead, all it does is push on my *mumble*chiropractor told me the name but I can't remember*mumble* muscle and give me severe neck cramps and pain after about 30 to 60 minutes of listening.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a known solution? Or am I going to have to modify the pads to trim down this bump and custom form them to my head?

What is the conventional wisdom on replacing/upgrading these pads? If I'm going to replace/modify the pads, I'd rather upgrade while I'm at it.

miceblue put 507 pads on his 207 and may have a link to details, so you could pm him. I've seen his; they look real good.

Sep 3, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #2,249 of 3,322
miceblue put 507 pads on his 207 and may have a link to details, so you could pm him. I've seen his; they look real good.

The 507 pads would only really change the pad material to real leather instead of synthetic, though. It wouldn't solve his problem of the raised "hump" in the rear part of the pads.

Just spitballing, but perhaps you could reverse the RCA's feeding your 252S? Then Left would become Right, and you could simply flip the whole headphone around on your head ("fat" part forward). this should put the pad "hump" ahead of your ears instead of behind, and hopefully avoid that tender area.

No clue if this would work, but worth a shot?

Sep 3, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #2,250 of 3,322
I had a 207 and installed 507 pads on them. It's not just the leather that's different but the density of the pad itself. It's thinner and more cushiony than the stock pads so it could help alleviate the pain symptoms. I currently have the 404LE and they have pads similar to the 507 and I find them very comfortable. I have TMJ issues and a lot of headphones bother me too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back