The Entry Level Stax Thread
Nov 30, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #1,336 of 3,322
Perfect. Thank you for the recommendation. When you say 207 system with a better amp, are you saying to get something above the SRM-252S? Right now I can get that combo from Stax for about $710, which is a price I like. Does anyone have experience with the Woo Wee and 207s vs. the SRM-252S? I have some other stereo amps to use with a Woo now and like the idea of putting a nice tube amp on it later.

Thanks again,
Crazychile

Agree with keithpgdrb. The entry level Stax System is better than anything at this price point and beats even the Koss. Now the Koss 950 with another Stax amp (KGSS, Stax 717) is a whole Level above and even rivals some of the best headphones worldwide without regard to price.

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #1,337 of 3,322
I have the Koss 950 with the srm-1 and I can vouch that it is way better than using the stock Koss amp.

I have not tried the other stax, but the Koss-stax combo gives a great balance of details, warmth and slam.

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #1,338 of 3,322
I've found that the Lambda NB isn't very good at 360 imaging. I frequently find myself misplacing sound cues on Call of Duty, the lack of separation between front and back is especially alarming.

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #1,339 of 3,322
So how's the reliability on the entry level Stax Headphones? I've heard some negatives about Stax USA service, and I know electrostatics by nature can need some maintenance after a few years. I'm trying to get a feel for how much of an issue this might be.

If maintenance issues are somewhat normal, I may lean towards the Koss with a Stax (or other) amp.

Has anyone tried a Woo Wee with their Stax and found it to be better than a Stax amp?

Thanks,
Crazychile

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #1,340 of 3,322
I've found that the Lambda NB isn't very good at 360 imaging. I frequently find myself misplacing sound cues on Call of Duty, the lack of separation between front and back is especially alarming.

I would agree here. Soundstage is not where the lambda shines. It's more about it's amazing tone reproduction. And a mid range that is to die for. I would never use the lambda for gaming. It is my opinion that you should always get a headphone that focuses on soundstage for gaming. A KG 702 comes to mind. The new hifiman 560 is also extreamly good. More expensive though.

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #1,341 of 3,322
So how's the reliability on the entry level Stax Headphones? I've heard some negatives about Stax USA service, and I know electrostatics by nature can need some maintenance after a few years. I'm trying to get a feel for how much of an issue this might be.

If maintenance issues are somewhat normal, I may lean towards the Koss with a Stax (or other) amp.

Has anyone tried a Woo Wee with their Stax and found it to be better than a Stax amp?

Thanks,
Crazychile
The only reliability issues I have heard of come from the high and models ironically. My original NB lambda is trouble free and over 30 years old. I don't know of any maintenance for them either. Outside of maybe getting a dustcover

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #1,342 of 3,322

Though I like (and own) a Woo amp, I consider any use of a speaker amp and adaptor to drive Stax as a stopgap, with $ better spent toward a real electrostatic amp, Stax or aftermarket. My experience with an adaptor and Sonic Frontiers, Quicksilver, or PS Audio amps gave me great detail and transparency, but was lacking in touch, timbre, and a graceful, effortless presentation (the whole reason I listen to Stax).

Dec 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #1,343 of 3,322

• C

Thanks,
Crazychile

I've never had a problem with my SRS-2170 system.
Yes, it does beat the Q701 K701 headphones!
BTW, I'm a MartinLogan guy myself.
Which is why I prefer Stax, I'm a big fan of electrostatics.

Never tried the WooWee myself.

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #1,344 of 3,322
Hi,

I currently own an SRM1 MK2 with a Lambda Pro. Thinking of upgrading to either SR-307/407 or even 507. Would this we worthwhile in your opinion? Also what would be the best bang for the buck in the Stax lineup that works with the SRM1 MK2?

Thanks,

Michael

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #1,345 of 3,322
  Hi,

I currently own an SRM1 MK2 with a Lambda Pro. Thinking of upgrading to either SR-307/407 or even 507. Would this we worthwhile in your opinion? Also what would be the best bang for the buck in the Stax lineup that works with the SRM1 MK2?

Thanks,

Michael

Not necessarily worthwhile in my opinion. Depends on what you want.

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #1,346 of 3,322
What I'm looking for is basically less sibilant highs (sss sounds if that makes any sense). Also I would prefer a bit beefier midrange. Bass could also be tighter but I think I could live with this deficiency. Heard a 404 signature at a friend and felt it had more detail and a warmer midrange. Do you think I would benefit getting a newer Lambda such as a 307/407 or 507 and hook it up to my SRM 1 MK2? Unfortunately I have no dealer in my area so I need to rely on your advice.

Thanks,

Michael

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #1,347 of 3,322
If you have a "ssssibilance" problem, it may be further upstream. Synergy with cabling perhaps? Stax sibilance among all the models seems correct and realistic to me, not piercing or over the top.

That said, I found the 404 to be SLIGHTLY warmer and more realistically textured than my 407s, but not worth spending many $ to change. (Listening with SRM-1 MK-2 Pro)

The least sparkly Stax on the top-end that I've heard was a normal bias Sigma, but good luck finding one.

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #1,348 of 3,322
What I'm looking for is basically less sibilant highs (sss sounds if that makes any sense). Also I would prefer a bit beefier midrange. Bass could also be tighter but I think I could live with this deficiency. Heard a 404 signature at a friend and felt it had more detail and a warmer midrange. Do you think I would benefit getting a newer Lambda such as a 307/407 or 507 and hook it up to my SRM 1 MK2? Unfortunately I have no dealer in my area so I need to rely on your advice.

Thanks,

Michael

the sssss problem will be worse with 307-507. The sound you look for would be the LNS.

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #1,349 of 3,322
If you have a "ssssibilance" problem, it may be further upstream. Synergy with cabling perhaps? Stax sibilance among all the models seems correct and realistic to me, not piercing or over the top.

That said, I found the 404 to be SLIGHTLY warmer and more realistically textured than my 407s, but not worth spending many $ to change. (Listening with SRM-1 MK-2 Pro)

The least sparkly Stax on the top-end that I've heard was a normal bias Sigma, but good luck finding one.

I agree, my Stax SRS-2170 definitely sound LESS sibilant than my other 'phones.
The excessive sibilance is probably inherent to the recording.

Dec 7, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #1,350 of 3,322
I agree, my Stax SRS-2170 definitely sound LESS sibilant than my other 'phones.
The excessive sibilance is probably inherent to the recording.

That is why I prefer tje 207 to the other from the current Lambda series which are much brighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back