The Entry Level Stax Thread
Sep 2, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #1,291 of 3,322
Exactly :) Apparently modern transformers can indeed be better than solid state, the latter being in fashion in the 80s.

Transformers, more than meets the eye.
Groan.......:p

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #1,292 of 3,322
  Check the high end forum. Spritzer and a couple more did mod quite a few energizers - I have no idea if those users are still members or posting, though. Loads of knowledge have left theses boards last couple of years. 

Search and ye shell find... it's only a couple of 1000 post threads long :)

I know of the mod to make a pro plug.  I just do not recall seeing any mods to the sb units to up their quality.  I'll look through the high end forum.

Sep 3, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #1,294 of 3,322
Ok, so I could not resist and ordered the SR-307 which arrived today. I had a very quick listen during the lunch break and my first impression was that it sounds brighter compared to the SR-207. I run both headphones from the SRM-252S amp (amp upgrade is already part of next month's budget).

Now I was wondering is the SR-307 in general brighter than the SR-207 or is it just underamped?

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #1,295 of 3,322
In all of stax history, and I just went thru every single amp...

There was only one actual stax amplifier that had transformers.
It was called the SRD-X and it used automotive power opamps
driving transformers. It was portable in the sense that it would
run of a 12V battery, like that in a car. It was just awful.

The rest of the stax transformer boxes are just that. transformers
and a bias circuit in a box. No actual amplifier.

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #1,296 of 3,322
  In all of stax history, and I just went thru every single amp...

There was only one actual stax amplifier that had transformers.
It was called the SRD-X and it used automotive power opamps
driving transformers. It was portable in the sense that it would

Not just a 12V battery, but EIGHT C-batteries in serial (1.5V * 8 = 12V).... I had one and it was a fantastic way to blow through a car battery's worth of juice in about half a day.

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #1,297 of 3,322
Originally Posted by kevin gilmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It was portable in the sense that it would

That't the sort of thing I did with the DDX320, running it from big batteries (2x12V) and with the SRD7SB, optical from a laptop. It's a nice setup that runs for hours although it's not that portable (I can put it in my backpack though).

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #1,298 of 3,322
Does anyone know how to unscrew the volume knob on the SRM-252S? I'm curious to see what the internals look like. I didn't know this amp is a class A amp as well; it doesn't get nearly as hot as I thought a typical class A amp does.

Oh never mind, I found my answer:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/223263/the-stax-thread-new/13695#post_6766438

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #1,299 of 3,322
This may be of interest to entry level Staxologists.

I have a Stax Sr-003 Mk2 Earspeaker for sale. If interested, check out this message on the headphones for sale forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/733648/stax-sr-003-mk2-earspeaker

Sep 20, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #1,302 of 3,322
Speaking of which, the SRS-2170 is now being sold on Amazon for $590!
http://www.amazon.com/Stax-Srs2170/dp/B0043HPD0I

Why the price on Amazon is $300 cheaper than that on STAX USA's website is a mystery to me.

Also this is being sold from Export-from-Kobe, whose location is unknown to me so I don't know if these are Japanese units being sold, or units from the USA.

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #1,303 of 3,322
Also this is being sold from Export-from-Kobe, whose location is unknown to me so I don't know if these are Japanese units being sold, or units from the USA.

Seeing as Kobe is a city in Japan, I imagine the units sold by Export-from-Kobe are Japanese exports 
smile.gif

Also it takes 18-32 days to deliver the product.

This seems like a good time to ask a related question. I'm thinking of picking up a SRS-2170. What are the drawbacks of buying from Japan? Obviously I would save about $200, but
  1. Would I have to get a transformer, or will the amp work safely enough at US voltages?
  2. Would I have to pay import fees or tariffs, and what should I expect those to cost me?
  3. Would I be able to receive warranty service? What even is STAX USA's warranty?
  4. Is it actually worth the headache to save $200?

Sep 20, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #1,304 of 3,322

Seeing as Kobe is a city in Japan, I imagine the units sold by Export-from-Kobe are Japanese exports :smile:  

Also it takes 18-32 days to deliver the product.

This seems like a good time to ask a related question. I'm thinking of picking up a SRS-2170. What are the drawbacks of buying from Japan? Obviously I would save about $200, but
  • Would I have to get a transformer, or will the amp work safely enough at US voltages?
  • Would I have to pay import fees or tariffs, and what should I expect those to cost me?
  • Would I be able to receive warranty service? What even is STAX USA's warranty?
  • Is it actually worth the headache to save $200?
Ah good point. XD

As for your questions:
1) Yes because Japan's households operate at 100 V whereas in the USA it's 120-130 V. I use a Kashimura TI-101 step-down tansformer.
2) I bought my system from eBay, but I didn't have to pay for any import fees or tarrifs.
3) Yes, but it will be STAX Japan's warranty and not STAX USA.
4) I'd say yes. Carrying around the step-down transformer is a bit of an inconvenience, but saving $200 is a nice chunk of money for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back