The Entry Level Stax Thread
Feb 13, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #1,426 of 3,322
  Sorry to keep peppering you all with questions about prices but would and SR-202 and SRM-300 for $525 be a fair price?  They seem to be in excellent condition.  The only other reference I can find is the same set being sold for about 490 euros.

I don't think that's too bad I guess if you're a STAX amp collector, but I haven't heard many impressions of the SRM-300. As to whether that means it sounds bad and is disregarded by collectors, or the concept was too absurd to gain traction, I dunno. But as Mice said if you can get a brand new 2170 set for $479 then that might be the way to go.

Personally I'd stick with the Lambda models, I bought my SR-202 set for $300 from Yahoo Auctions (plus shipping from Japan) and my SR-Lambda set for $200, so I think those two listings are overpriced. 

May I ask what amp or energizer you are using with those and how much it costs. Would an amp be better than the energizer pretty much always?

SRM-212 as Mice said. I would say amplifiers are better just for the convenience of not having to have two amplifiers to power your STAX. The sound quality of the energizers may very well be affected by the speaker amplifiers, which could be good if you have a really nice speaker amp I guess and bad if you're using a cheap amp. I can't say for sure though, I haven't tried swapping amps with my SRD-7 SB to see.

Feb 13, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #1,427 of 3,322

I'd go for these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stax-Lambda-Nova-Earpeakers-with-SRM-Xh-Driver-Unit-Pristine-Condition-/261773804058?pt=UK_MP3_Player_Accessories_Headphones_Earphones&hash=item3cf2ef421a

This is basically my set.

Sorry to keep peppering you all with questions about prices but would and SR-202 and SRM-300 for $525 be a fair price?  They seem to be in excellent condition.  The only other reference I can find is the same set being sold for about 490 euros.

The set on ebay is not bad. Ask the seller which Lambda Nova this headphones is, and if it is a Signature as I suspect go for that set. Ask the seller what is written on the metal plate attached to the driver, on the opposite side to where the cable entry is. If it says Signature in red then you are good.

LNS is one of the best Lambdas out there and normally cost roughly $400 alone, and should be better than the 202. From my understanding the SRM-Xh is basically equivalent to the modern SRM-212 and SRM-252S, and quite reasonably as a entry level system. Plus it looks like you get a 240 V power pack, saving you from buying either a transformer or another plug pack.

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #1,429 of 3,322
Purchased an SRS-3000 for $450.  Really excited to give these things a whirl, I have never listened to a pair of Stax before.

An SRM-300 with which headphones?

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #1,431 of 3,322
202.  I think it was a pretty good price.

pretty good deal. I hope you'll enjoy them. If not, you can probably sell them through for that amount.

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #1,432 of 3,322
Alright, Stax, you won me over.  I am now a believer!  I am hearing small details hitherto unheard in songs I have listened to countless times; the clarity and separation is excellent.  The sound stage is wide--but not too wide.  Okay, I'm done gushing! 

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #1,433 of 3,322
I dunno Ryman...
You/I get used to hearing some good dynamics, then you upgrade your dynamic and it's better but you think "ooh, I guess this is what the guys meant by diminishing returns," and you play around in that land for awhile, BUT THEN ONE DAY STAX HAPPENS, and you realize there IS another level up.
I'd say there's plenty to go on gushing about!

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #1,434 of 3,322
Alright, Stax, you won me over.  I am now a believer!  I am hearing small details hitherto unheard in songs I have listened to countless times; the clarity and separation is excellent.  The sound stage is wide--but not too wide.  Okay, I'm done gushing! 

There will be more gushing, I'm sure!
Congratulations on your Stax purchase.

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #1,436 of 3,322
[COLOR=282828]Hi Guys,[/COLOR]

[COLOR=282828]My cats knocked my SRX Mk3's to the floor.  Unfortunately 4 of the six high voltage connector pins sheared off.  What is best way for me to repair them.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=282828]Thanks[/COLOR]

:/ that's unfortunate. Sorry to hear that.

Maybe this can work?
http://www.alliedelec.com/amphenol-tuchel-t-3424-501/70013414/

If not, I just searched for "6 pin connector male" on that website. Searching for "6 pin connector" yields 200+ pages of results, so you might have to do a lot of combing through if the above connector doesn't work out.

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #1,437 of 3,322
Thanks for the information.  Any special soldering requirements based on it being a high voltage application.
seems like I should shrink wrap the spliced soldered joints up over the connection.  What type of wire will
I find when cut into the Stax cable?

Mar 10, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #1,438 of 3,322
Any EU source for male Stax plugs?
Other sources can do if price is below 12 dollars w/o shipping

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #1,440 of 3,322
Thanks for the information.  Any special soldering requirements based on it being a high voltage application.
seems like I should shrink wrap the spliced soldered joints up over the connection.  What type of wire will
I find when cut into the Stax cable?

You don't need special solder, but you will need insulation or shrink wrap rated for 600 Vdc.
The wire will be stranded copper wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back