The Entry Level Stax Thread
Aug 13, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #76 of 3,322
Could you also stuff something like cotton balls between the earpad lips?

Lambda pads don't have lips because they're flat and you literally tape/glue them onto the unit.

You're somewhat correct. That's a pretty primitive way to make an earpad nonetheless...

So lemme rephrase that: you can put small pieces of cotton balls between the earpad lip and the dust fabric cover. There still is an earpad lip (read: space between the frame of the earpad/earcup and the earpad itself).

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #77 of 3,322
Quote:
cswann have you tried any other stax models? or only the 404

Sorry, I made a mistake.  I bought the SR-407, not the 404.  And yes it is the only Stax I've any experience with.  I picked a price point and purchased the Stax model that fit.  

Aug 13, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #78 of 3,322
You're somewhat correct. That's a pretty primitive way to make an earpad nonetheless...

So lemme rephrase that: you can put small pieces of cotton balls between the earpad lip and the dust fabric cover. There still is an earpad lip (read: space between the frame of the earpad/earcup and the earpad itself).

Cotton don't fit in between and don't make a difference due to the high tension of the pads sewn together.

@tus: yes I have tried it before but it also affects the sound due to the slightly further distance and it looked ugly.

Aug 13, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #79 of 3,322
How thick would you recommend this plastic plate to be? To avoid changing the sound too much.

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #80 of 3,322
I used 2-3mm plastic sheets. Came in ugly colors though but it was what I had. I also tried a 5mm baffle using milled out aluminium as well as plastic for the baffle but angled mounted, it was quite comfortable but it made the overall sound too distant especially with the mids and treble.

2-3mm would probably be the max I'd go retaining 100% of it's original sound but improving a tad bit of comfort. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #81 of 3,322

Cotton don't fit in between and don't make a difference due to the high tension of the pads sewn together.

A crude example, but an example nonetheless.

How long does it take to charge up the "capacitor plates" for the SRS-2170?

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #83 of 3,322

Probably less than a second!

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #85 of 3,322
Aug 14, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #86 of 3,322
Huh. I always knew that my SR-303 were modded because I'm pretty sure Stax doesn't use rubber cement of all things (though, to be honest, they should considering the awesome results I've had with it), but I never knew that unmodded Lambdas kept the pad on so much differently than my modded pair.

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #87 of 3,322
Quote:
Quote:

Probably less than a second!

I usually give them a minute or two and start using it after that. It must be my brain then since I think I hear the STAX getting better after about 5 minutes of use. XD

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #88 of 3,322
I usually give them a minute or two and start using it after that. It must be my brain then since I think I hear the STAX getting better after about 5 minutes of use. XD

The plausible answer is you are hearing the electronics warm up after 5 minutes of use.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #89 of 3,322
My SR-Lambda Pros came in yesterday. I'm still getting used to the stax sound but overall, everything seems pretty neutral and very detailed. I'm glad I didn't spend ~1k for a new US version 507 and went for the Pro. They're basically in like new condition. Hopefully they'll keep me off the forums for a while 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back