The Entry Level Stax Thread
Aug 26, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #271 of 3,322
I've been listening to the SR-40 and SR-50 since last night, and the SR-50 is one of the most bizarre-sounding headphones I have ever heard. This is all out of an underpowered SRD-X Pro, but they sound almost like there are big, concentrated orbs of sound right at the ends of your ears, and then a soundstage painted all the way across your vision. It's quite odd.

EDIT: In essence, it seems almost as if though there are two entirely different soundstages happening at once with the SR-50.

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #272 of 3,322
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=331002957121&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:3160

If anyone is looking at buying a great Stax amp (I just got mine from the USPS finally), check this out. Good price.

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #274 of 3,322
Quote:
Measured the SR-5 CSD yesterday. They have some slight chaff in the treble and they're a bit loose below 700 Hz. Quick-ish decay in the upper mids, overall a bit faster than the HD 600 but a bit slower than the modded Unipolar 2000 - the differences are mostly within the margin of CSD error.

My personal impression is that the SR-5 do well in the mids but lack in bass extension and given that the treble is a bit elevated, they end up sounding slightly sterile.

I still need to find a Unipolar but so many German sellers are not willing to ship Worldwide (except Euro Union or UK).

Quote:
It's a professional amp! It MUST be good! :)

It is the same as all the SRM1 MK2's except an additional Pro-bias configured outlet rather than the usual dual normal bias. I think the P.P model has a slight bit of difference in the circuit.

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #275 of 3,322
Quote:
I still need to find a Unipolar but so many German sellers are not willing to ship Worldwide (except Euro Union or UK).

It is the same as all the SRM1 MK2's except an additional Pro-bias configured outlet rather than the usual dual normal bias. I think the P.P model has a slight bit of difference in the circuit.

That's a standard SRM1/MK2 with both pro and normal bias output. Both outputs are labeled, plus it's got a revision letter on the back, while the newer models with 2 pro outputs don't have a revision letter. 

Looks like a decent deal if someone can pick it up at it's starting price and recap the thing.

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #277 of 3,322
Quote:

That's a standard SRM1/MK2 with both pro and normal bias output. Both outputs are labeled, plus it's got a revision letter on the back, while the newer models with 2 pro outputs don't have a revision letter. 

Looks like a decent deal if someone can pick it up at it's starting price and recap the thing.

I think you are missing what I'm saying as you pretty said the same thing as I stated.

All SRM1 MK2's (Serial A, B or C) except the PP model which I have not owned (but spritzer could add input on) are pretty much based on the identical circuit regardless of faceplate colour except it either came with dual normal bias for the earlier ones and missing the pro-bias supply or came with it did come with the pro-bias supply. The Professional MK2 model featured a Pro-bias and normal bias outputs rather than the regular dual normal bias. P.P SRM1 MK2's are dual pro-bias only.

Aug 27, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #279 of 3,322
More impressions:

-The clamping force of a well-cared-for vintage Lambda with the old headband/arc is noticeably tighter than I expected...maybe my "beater" Lambda's just really loose. However, it's not quite past my discomfort threshold like I found with the Nova/numerical arc design to the point where I can wear this set for hours...still, given that the SR-303's noticeably softer pads than that SR-202 made it more palatable, it's probably a combination of arc design and the earpads used.

-Everything sounded really edgy while listening to music because I made the mistake of leaving CMSS-3D Headphone on outside of gaming. A real SR-Lambda will reveal that sort of thing rather ruthlessly while the "beater" Lambda's laid-back treble makes it far less prominent; if I notice it while gaming, I'll probably have to compensate via EQ.

-If the last setup wasn't end-game...this one is very nearly there. I can only hope I don't find myself liking any of the Omega-series sets enough to justify their excruciatingly exorbitant prices; dropping about $725 on a headphone system is painful enough on the wallet as is (even if that's including an SRD-6 I'm not using).

Aug 27, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #280 of 3,322
Don't ever let yourself hear the original SR-Omega
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #282 of 3,322
Quote:
Don't ever let yourself hear the original SR-Omega
biggrin.gif

That won't be too hard, given how rare SR-Omegas are. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't one in the entire state of Georgia.

But if I ever do find one, curiosity will inevitably set in, because everything I've heard about them in the second Stax thread screams "These are PERFECT for me, if money is no object!"

Getting the SR-Omega itself would only be half the issue, though. Those things were paired with the legendary SRM-T2 for a reason, I'm sure...meaning that SRM-T1 of mine isn't going to cut it.

Aug 27, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #283 of 3,322
Quote:

That won't be too hard, given how rare SR-Omegas are. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't one in the entire state of Georgia.

But if I ever do find one, curiosity will inevitably set in, because everything I've heard about them in the second Stax thread screams "These are PERFECT for me, if money is no object!"

Getting the SR-Omega itself would only be half the issue, though. Those things were paired with the legendary SRM-T2 for a reason, I'm sure...meaning that SRM-T1 of mine isn't going to cut it.

When I had my Omega's out of the T1S it still sounded very good. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Omega's was advertised with the T1 amp for a short period of time then again with the T2? 

Aug 27, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #284 of 3,322
I must have only seen the ads pairing the Omega with the T2, then. To be frank, I didn't look much into the SR-Omega due to rarity and sheer expense, knowing the total murder that would happen to my wallet if I decided to go farther down the Stax path.

Since the T1S is basically a T1 with balanced inputs, I guess I've got the foundation after all...and to think that the big Stax thread made it sound like nothing below a KGSSHV is going to cut it for any Omega-series can. Maybe that's just the SR-007 variants and their infamous insensitivity.

Aug 27, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #285 of 3,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Since the T1S is basically a T1 with balanced inputs, I guess I've got the foundation after all...and to think that the big Stax thread made it sound like nothing below a KGSSHV is going to cut it for any Omega-series can. Maybe that's just the SR-007 variants and their infamous insensitivity.

I asked spritzer personally what amp recommendation would be good for my Omega's and he said the BHSE or find the mythical T2. The O2's need more power than the O1's but they still need that power to shine. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back