The Enleum HPA-23RM Discussion Thread
Feb 7, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #152 of 177
I had a chance to test my unit and demo unit in the dealer's shop. There is a clear difference between these units on current output. It was confirmed also by store staff. As a reference demo unit is 100% of performance, then my unit on around 1.7V has about 80% of demo unit stage and less clarity. When switching to 2V the perception of stage is gone and also there is less clarity. Tested on DCA Expanse.
I am starting to lose trust in Enleum with now multiple reports of 23R and 23RM units sounding different. Enleum has not addressed this issue and does not reply to emails. This is not serious.

Mar 9, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #154 of 177
The change going from Hugo2 to Hugo2+23RM voltage was a <5% improvement in soundstage, imaging and depth. But the overall presentation of the music is still the same and familiar.
1 month and ~10 RCA cables later I have to give the voltage output its credit. Burn-in or brain-burn-in, 5% improvement over the Hugo 2 HP out was a vast understatement. Going back to Hugo 2 alone after getting used to the sound of the combo, music sounded flat and glare-y, words I never imagine I'd use to describe Hugo 2's green filter. With the 23RM voltage out, everything sounded more real and more "there". 23RM also makes the Hugo 2's white filter enjoyable. The extra air up top over the green filter now actually helps with the imaging. I understand some of this improvement is due to utilizing the Hugo 2's RCA out over the HP out, so if you are already using a RCA-to-4.4 adapter on the Hugo 2, the improvement may not be as big as what I described.

The ~10 RCA cables were all 0.5 foot long and I can actually hear a difference between all of them between the Hugo 2 and the 23RM. Let a few non-audiophile folks in my office gave the cables a try and they could hear a difference between the ones they've tried, too. Goes to show you how transparent this amp is.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #155 of 177
1 month and ~10 RCA cables later I have to give the voltage output its credit. Burn-in or brain-burn-in, 5% improvement over the Hugo 2 HP out was a vast understatement. Going back to Hugo 2 alone after getting used to the sound of the combo, music sounded flat and glare-y, words I never imagine I'd use to describe Hugo 2's green filter. With the 23RM voltage out, everything sounded more real and more "there". 23RM also makes the Hugo 2's white filter enjoyable. The extra air up top over the green filter now actually helps with the imaging. I understand some of this improvement is due to utilizing the Hugo 2's RCA out over the HP out, so if you are already using a RCA-to-4.4 adapter on the Hugo 2, the improvement may not be as big as what I described.

The ~10 RCA cables were all 0.5 foot long and I can actually hear a difference between all of them between the Hugo 2 and the 23RM. Let a few non-audiophile folks in my office gave the cables a try and they could hear a difference between the ones they've tried, too. Goes to show you how transparent this amp is.
Can you expand on what RCA cables you tried and what you settled on? The recessed socket on the Hugo 2 makes choosing cables a little more tricky. I think I'd seen the Nordost Blue Heaven cables recommended previously. Currently I'm using a HiDiamond cable which I'm using as an initial cable with the 23R.

Mar 9, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #156 of 177
Can you expand on what RCA cables you tried and what you settled on? The recessed socket on the Hugo 2 makes choosing cables a little more tricky. I think I'd seen the Nordost Blue Heaven cables recommended previously. Currently I'm using a HiDiamond cable which I'm using as an initial cable with the 23R.
I ordered from worldbestcables on Amazon. They take customization requests. They are cheapo pro cables so apologies if these aren't what you are looking for. Here's the list I've tried:
- Mogami 2534, 2964, 2549
- Canare L-4E6S, GS-6
- Gotham GAC-4/1
- Van Damme Pro XKE
- With various brands of connectors.

I still have more coming in (with angled RCA connectors to save space) but the best I've tried so far is the Mogami 2534. Best tradeoff between resolution and extension IMO. If you want to sacrifice some extension for more resolution, try Gotham GAC-4/1 and Mogami 2964. If you want to sacrifice some resolution for more extension, try Canare L-4E6S.

The socket is indeed tricky. The Eminence Locking RCA Connectors won't fit for example. Had to settle on ones that are "bare-bone" on the ends. I tried some of the cables with Amphenol ACPR vs Neutrik Rean connectors and Amphenol does win, but the difference is so small that I can't say if I'm imagining things.

Mar 10, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #157 of 177
I ordered from worldbestcables on Amazon. They take customization requests. They are cheapo pro cables so apologies if these aren't what you are looking for. Here's the list I've tried:
- Mogami 2534, 2964, 2549
- Canare L-4E6S, GS-6
- Gotham GAC-4/1
- Van Damme Pro XKE
- With various brands of connectors.

I still have more coming in (with angled RCA connectors to save space) but the best I've tried so far is the Mogami 2534. Best tradeoff between resolution and extension IMO. If you want to sacrifice some extension for more resolution, try Gotham GAC-4/1 and Mogami 2964. If you want to sacrifice some resolution for more extension, try Canare L-4E6S.

The socket is indeed tricky. The Eminence Locking RCA Connectors won't fit for example. Had to settle on ones that are "bare-bone" on the ends. I tried some of the cables with Amphenol ACPR vs Neutrik Rean connectors and Amphenol does win, but the difference is so small that I can't say if I'm imagining things.
Thanks much appreciated, I'm not sure what I'm looking for :wink: I think it's also very system dependent, although one nice thing about the Hugo 2, is that if you have sensitive enough headphones you can test straight from the headphone output to compare. But ultimately it may depend on the entire chain as to the cable you like the best.

I had my 23R plugged into an old extension lead, not a hifi component by any means. I'd lived with that for a month. I then wanted to test direct to the wall and listen without the extension lead. The difference was huge, everything improved, transparency, bass definition, depth, imaging, dynamics. The extension lead added a haze to the whole sound, small details were lost especially at certain frequencies. It was a clear indication that power can make a huge difference, in the end I ordered a longer Puritan cable.

So far I haven't heard much of a difference running the Hugo 2 from batteries vs plugged into the wall.

Headphone cables have also shown quite a difference - comparing Hart to Lavricables vs stock cables.

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #159 of 177
Recently got an Enleum HPA-23RM to replace my HPA-21, at least that was the original plan.

Love the compact form factor and the build is just as good as the Bakoon and AMP-23R, which is great!

Hiss is a bit of a let down, however: my HPA-21 is silent with Atrium Open/Closed on current output (fantastic pairing), but the 23RM has a noticeable hiss, which is a bummer!
I understand the current output is not technically supposed to work with high impedance dynamic headphones (although the HD800 is often referred to as a great pairing with the current output), since things can get loud very quickly and indeed it does on the HPA-21 - volume gets loud very quickly with a 2V source. However, it seems like the gain on the HPA-23RM is a bit lower since I can turn the volume quite a bit before it gets too loud. The hiss remains the same at all levels and any gain setting.

Besides that, the HPA-23RM sounds really good overall and is an (small but noticeable) upgrade in the technical aspects over the HPA-21. However, both the soundstage presentation and tonality are a bit different and I wouldn't consider the 23RM a direct upgrade to the 21. They sound different enough that it could be worth owning both.

I originally bough the 23RM to replace my 21, but now I'm not so sure I want to part with the latter. It just sounds so great with the Atrium Open on the current output!...

Finally, I found that the 23RM sounded noticeably better when plugged in and especially when powered with a power bank. I'm using this cheap 50Ah battery to great effect! I haven't tried anything else/better yet.

Mar 27, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #160 of 177
Recently got an Enleum HPA-23RM to replace my HPA-21, at least that was the original plan.

Love the compact form factor and the build is just as good as the Bakoon and AMP-23R, which is great!

Hiss is a bit of a let down, however: my HPA-21 is silent with Atrium Open/Closed on current output (fantastic pairing), but the 23RM has a noticeable hiss, which is a bummer!
I understand the current output is not technically supposed to work with high impedance dynamic headphones (although the HD800 is often referred to as a great pairing with the current output), since things can get loud very quickly and indeed it does on the HPA-21 - volume gets loud very quickly with a 2V source. However, it seems like the gain on the HPA-23RM is a bit lower since I can turn the volume quite a bit before it gets too loud. The hiss remains the same at all levels and any gain setting.

Besides that, the HPA-23RM sounds really good overall and is an (small but noticeable) upgrade in the technical aspects over the HPA-21. However, both the soundstage presentation and tonality are a bit different and I wouldn't consider the 23RM a direct upgrade to the 21. They sound different enough that it could be worth owning both.

I originally bough the 23RM to replace my 21, but now I'm not so sure I want to part with the latter. It just sounds so great with the Atrium Open on the current output!...

Finally, I found that the 23RM sounded noticeably better when plugged in and especially when powered with a power bank. I'm using this cheap 50Ah battery to great effect! I haven't tried anything else/better yet.
I wonder if it could be an issue with your unit. I have no hiss with voltage output into my Atrium open. The sound is wide and smooth.
Also, I hear no difference from internal battery versus being plugged in.
I find the current output too much for the Atrium but is amazing with my Dianas. Slams hard.
I've read here that others have had similar reports as you. Perhaps contact the retailer.
Also read that Enleum are not necessarily the best with customer service, sadly.
Good luck!

Mar 27, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #161 of 177
I wonder if it could be an issue with your unit. I have no hiss with voltage output into my Atrium open. The sound is wide and smooth.
Also, I hear no difference from internal battery versus being plugged in.
I find the current output too much for the Atrium but is amazing with my Dianas. Slams hard.
I've read here that others have had similar reports as you. Perhaps contact the retailer.
Also read that Enleum are not necessarily the best with customer service, sadly.
Good luck!
Hiss is only an issue with the current output. Everything is fine with the voltage output, but - just like the AMP-23R before it - I don't really care for the pairing with Atrium Open... The HPA-21 with Atrium in current mode is really something special and I was hoping the 23RM would be the same :/

I don't have any issues with the DCA E3 (excellent pairing) or Susvara (very good, considering the size), which are both lower impedance and a lot less sensitive.

I suspect the switching power supply isn't as quiet as the direct battery feed in the HPA-21.

Since my 23RM didn't come with a manual, I asked Enleum if it is safe to charge/run it with a 12V battery (since it's generally "supported" by USB-C devices, and the Enleum has a very advanced switching power supply). Did anyone try that?

Mar 27, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #162 of 177
Hiss is only an issue with the current output. Everything is fine with the voltage output, but - just like the AMP-23R before it - I don't really care for the pairing with Atrium Open... The HPA-21 with Atrium in current mode is really something special and I was hoping the 23RM would be the same :/

I don't have any issues with the DCA E3 (excellent pairing) or Susvara (very good, considering the size), which are both lower impedance and a lot less sensitive.

I suspect the switching power supply isn't as quiet as the direct battery feed in the HPA-21.

Since my 23RM didn't come with a manual, I asked Enleum if it is safe to charge/run it with a 12V battery (since it's generally "supported" by USB-C devices, and the Enleum has a very advanced switching power supply). Did anyone try that?
The HPA-21 must be special indeed.
I am very pleased with my 23RM and would love to hear other Enleum/ Bakoon amps someday.
I don't know about using 12V battery but I had emailed Enleum with a question shortlyafter i received my unit. They did reply but it did take a few days for the response.
Hopefully they do reply to your inquiry.
Cheers

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #163 of 177
HPA-23RM with Utopia OG

Attachments

• PXL_20240416_095841375.jpg
    PXL_20240416_095841375.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Apr 17, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #164 of 177
Apr 26, 2024 at 11:32 PM Post #165 of 177
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back