The Enleum HPA-23RM Discussion Thread
Nov 25, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #92 of 177
IMG_1230.jpeg

This moondrop para maybe affordable but the combination is darn good.

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #93 of 177
Does your 23RM enter the protection mode when an adapter is plugged into the headphone jacks? Why is this considered something to be protected against?

Nov 25, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #94 of 177
It took me about a day of listening to understand the beauty of this amp... Probably because I'm listening to cheapo IEMs on the voltage output but nevertheless...

The improvement this amp does to my Hugo 2 is all in the intangibles, whereas my other amps usually alter the tonality to some degree. It gives the Hugo 2 a better imaging and a darker background, and that's pretty much all the differences I can hear. The soundstage doesn't magically become bigger or the bass punchier. It tries to make the Hugo 2 sound like a Dave (although by my memory the Dave is still far better), as opposed to making it sound like a Lampizator or an RME. I hope it makes sense lol.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #95 of 177
Does your 23RM enter the protection mode when an adapter is plugged into the headphone jacks? Why is this considered something to be protected against?
I remember that when I plugged the headphone cable with no headphone attached to it it happened to me as well so it might be quite sensitive. But I don’t know the reason of such behaviour.

Nov 25, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #96 of 177
If you like your bass flying, try out Atheist (though you might already know) and T. O. O. H ! (the "!" actually is part of the name.

As for the Enleum, I gave it spin with the Vérité Closed and find myself, as of now, in tassardar's impression of the Atrium closed.

Actually forgot about Atheist, thanks for the reminder! I’ll check out T.O.O.H!, as well.

Nov 25, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #97 of 177
Only for current. if an adapter but no headphone is there, it will enter protection. Voltage it doesn't matter it seems.

Nov 25, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #98 of 177
It took me about a day of listening to understand the beauty of this amp... Probably because I'm listening to cheapo IEMs on the voltage output but nevertheless...

The improvement this amp does to my Hugo 2 is all in the intangibles, whereas my other amps usually alter the tonality to some degree. It gives the Hugo 2 a better imaging and a darker background, and that's pretty much all the differences I can hear. The soundstage doesn't magically become bigger or the bass punchier. It tries to make the Hugo 2 sound like a Dave (although by my memory the Dave is still far better), as opposed to making it sound like a Lampizator or an RME. I hope it makes sense lol.
Voltage mode is good but not a standout. It's improvement is small over other other decent portable devices and I probably won't pay the amount it's asking. In fact if it's not used to drive planar, I don't think it's worth it.

Nov 26, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #99 of 177
Voltage mode is good but not a standout. It's improvement is small over other other decent portable devices and I probably won't pay the amount it's asking. In fact if it's not used to drive planar, I don't think it's worth it.
Yup. I really like the current mode with my E500, especially with how delicate the treble is. I'm hearing textures in the treble I've never heard before, without a hint of brightness or glare. That extra delicacy makes everything in the midrange more lively too. The images of instruments are so vivid and 3D, like they are jumping out of the screen. Too bad I can't use my Zero Red with the current mode, as its tuning is designed to interact with the output impedance.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #100 of 177
By the by, my loan is ending up soon, and I was able to do some selected comparisons, namely to my own amps: Alo Rx Mk3b+ (dedicated to HE-6) and RSA SR-71B (dedicated to Véricté Closed), and here is the truth from my ears.

As its capacity to drive the Vérité Closed, no issue, you'll get ear-piercing levels from whichever output. As for the greatness, well, I'm no focused listener, I mainly listen to bad-produced extreme metal and I have specific expectations namely staging, separation standing above headroom or bass monsterness. The Enleum makes the Vérité Closed well... not funny sounding, but it does shift the whole signature towards the upper side, both in voltage or current. It's not game-changer, though definitely noticeable. Clarity is extreme, separation great and bass do kick in. However, I simply prefer the VC's original signature coming from my RSA... who is no slouch coming to staging and separation.

As for the HE-6, of course, the Enleum (current exclusively) is above the Alo. Far above? Well, again, I listen how I listen, with my expectations, and even if everything is better, it seems on my referential only marginally better. Shocking isn't it? Probably not that much when you take into account the above disclaimer. Again, the Alo is no oldie good for garbage. And again, I have my own expectations and sonice preferences. And a wallet. If I had no issue with my banker, yes, I'd surely dive in. However, it turns out I do have a baker and can't fathom a definite reason why and how I could justify taking he splurge.

I am still not there I guess. This Enleum is a piece of art on its own, its performances both on power and sound output are outstanding, but maybe I expected too much, or maybe I'm not coming from too far, but it is not my game changer amp. And I will not be surprised at people shouting at me there is no way you can compare what I just did. That's my way of listening, I won't change that. Besides, I think it is too much planar oriented for my cans.

Well, it's quite the experience, and always a surprise to simply hear that controlled power coming out of this (still quite) little buddy. But a step too high in the high-end for me.

Nov 27, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #101 of 177
By the by, my loan is ending up soon, and I was able to do some selected comparisons, namely to my own amps: Alo Rx Mk3b+ (dedicated to HE-6) and RSA SR-71B (dedicated to Véricté Closed), and here is the truth from my ears.

As its capacity to drive the Vérité Closed, no issue, you'll get ear-piercing levels from whichever output. As for the greatness, well, I'm no focused listener, I mainly listen to bad-produced extreme metal and I have specific expectations namely staging, separation standing above headroom or bass monsterness. The Enleum makes the Vérité Closed well... not funny sounding, but it does shift the whole signature towards the upper side, both in voltage or current. It's not game-changer, though definitely noticeable. Clarity is extreme, separation great and bass do kick in. However, I simply prefer the VC's original signature coming from my RSA... who is no slouch coming to staging and separation.

As for the HE-6, of course, the Enleum (current exclusively) is above the Alo. Far above? Well, again, I listen how I listen, with my expectations, and even if everything is better, it seems on my referential only marginally better. Shocking isn't it? Probably not that much when you take into account the above disclaimer. Again, the Alo is no oldie good for garbage. And again, I have my own expectations and sonice preferences. And a wallet. If I had no issue with my banker, yes, I'd surely dive in. However, it turns out I do have a baker and can't fathom a definite reason why and how I could justify taking he splurge.

I am still not there I guess. This Enleum is a piece of art on its own, its performances both on power and sound output are outstanding, but maybe I expected too much, or maybe I'm not coming from too far, but it is not my game changer amp. And I will not be surprised at people shouting at me there is no way you can compare what I just did. That's my way of listening, I won't change that. Besides, I think it is too much planar oriented for my cans.

Well, it's quite the experience, and always a surprise to simply hear that controlled power coming out of this (still quite) little buddy. But a step too high in the high-end for me.
Actually your experience is as correct as anyone else. I currently own more amps than headphone as I like the small little differences to them across all my headphones, while I really like only a few headphones. That said, the differences in amp are really small. So small that short of a direct AB comparison, you may never notice for many of their characteristic. I think the biggest deal of the HPA-23RM is really the driving of sub bass. That little difference with the slightly more aggressive sound is perfect for most planars to me. its definitely not ground breaking, but I am kinda sure its the only amp of its kind that improves headphone in such a way.

Only time when the difference is large is using tubes. Tubes just sound different.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #102 of 177
Funny you're mentionning differences in headphones being really small, as on the contrary, I find the differences on headphones way easier to spot then between amps (once reached a certain level of quality of course).
As for the sub bass, yes, that's where the Enleum does shine. But I don't really have sub-bass heavy music. I need to hear bass (guitar, the instrument), but that hardly plunges below 60Hz from what I read.

Nov 27, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #103 of 177
Funny you're mentionning differences in headphones being really small, as on the contrary, I find the differences on headphones way easier to spot then between amps (once reached a certain level of quality of course).
As for the sub bass, yes, that's where the Enleum does shine. But I don't really have sub-bass heavy music. I need to hear bass (guitar, the instrument), but that hardly plunges below 60Hz from what I read.
Oops Error on my side. I mean differences between Amps are really small. Headphones to me now is more of a preference then technicality. In fact I enjoy my Moondrop more recently haha.

If you don't do sub bass, I think you won't gain much from Enleum. This days I try different amp for my sleeping and working Rig, and that's really the standout difference for the Enleum.

That said, I own a RSA amp and ALO amp long ago. I should go hunt back one to try them again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back