The Enleum HPA-23RM Discussion Thread
Oct 5, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #31 of 183
IMG_20231005_201855.jpg

join inšŸ˜Š

Oct 5, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #32 of 183
Count me in. I have this little amp for my 2goyou mscaled Hugo 2 plus Final D8000 OG set up and I must say that as for now I prefer the Voltage output over the Current. I perceive that Voltage output has vider and better created soundstage and the music presentation is more remote (not in your head). Current output is more bassy (but I don't think its needed for my particular headphone), soundstage is narrowerer but higher and the sound is more upfront closer to the listener. So it gives more energetic presentation over voltage. So its definitely two amps in one package as they are quite different. Which one is better maybe the matter of taste and dependand on the headphones of choice. I do listen to a lot of rock and its great amp for this kind of music. If anything the volume knob which also serve as turn on/of could be easier to operate but it prevents the unexpected change of the volume in mobile settings. The fact that its battery operated is great.

Oct 5, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #33 of 183
I used Empyrean and I prefer voltage. Compared to current output, it is more interesting to drive Empyrena with voltage output. The opposite is true for sony ier z1r. The sound of z1r is calmer and less dynamic when driven by voltage. Current mode is more suitable for z1r. Both modes of ie900 are suitable, depending on your taste. I've only been playing with it for two days and there are other headphones to test.

Oct 8, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #34 of 183
I have compared 23RM to 23R on relatively short term powering DCA Expanse and find them close and very noticeably the same presentation, but with fully apparent ā€œmobileā€ version of 23R in the smaller package.

Everything good, just pared down or stepped back at the edges. Like your very favorite pizza vs the remaining slices lovingly reheated in the air fryer for almost the same experience without the fresh factor of first preparation.

The beloved weight of bass on all notes across the entire range of sound is there but ever so slightly diminished. Soundstage again alike in category and more intimate in width and breadth than 23R, but not alarmingly so.

A good deal for Cans only, I do use for both cans and loudspeakers so 23R just a better fit overall.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #37 of 183
Not exactly C9 versus HPA-23RM but this review should have mentioned quite a few contenders

https://soundnews.net/reviews/ampli...a-23rm-review-playing-in-a-league-of-its-own/

https://piped.video/watch?v=3K_KuY3ejYI&t=19m8s
It so happens that we have in our possession some of the best portable headphone amplifiers and I wish some of them could stand a chance versus the HPA-23RM. However, except for the power output which some units were ferociously holding the ground against the Enleum, everything else that has to do with transient response, soundstage, resolution, tone & timbre, cannot be compared, arriving at my very first headphone amplifier review which doesnā€™t include a comparison (or two).

BTW, does it really make a difference if HPA-23RM were powered via an external source?

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/enleum4/4/
Our novel 1.2MHz switching supply can operate in 1-watt/30Ī© 'R' mode for full output via external power or battery under USB power. 500mW 'M' mode is for more efficient mobile use.

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/enleum4/7/
Viewing this amp as really a homie with only occasional wanderlust, I leashed it to my legacy Auralic Vega DAC and the included charger. It meant worry-free high-power mode and a superior source than the analog out of Shanling's DAP.

There's yet another reviewer who actually tried the charger of MacBook Air and that seemed to result in better sound

https://www.headphoneclub.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=758510&page=1#pid5619524
Steven å˜—č©¦éŽ MacBook AIR ēš„č®Šå£“å™Øļ¼Œå·²ē¶“åÆ仄得到ęÆ”é›»ę± ä¾›é›»ę•ˆęžœę›“å„½ēš„č²éŸ³č”Øē¾ļ¼ŒSteven ēŸ„道很多ē™¼ē‡’友čŖē‚ŗ大éƒØä»½ęƒ…ę³é›»ę± ä¾›é›»ļ¼Œč؊å™Ŗęœƒę›“ä½Žļ¼Œč²éŸ³ęœƒę›“ē“°č†©å’Œč‡Ŗē„¶ļ¼ŒåœØ HPA-23RM äøŠļ¼Œęˆ‘äøę˜Æååˆ†čƒ½å¤ é«”é©—åˆ°ć€‚

Oct 9, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #39 of 183
I used Empyrean and I prefer voltage. Compared to current output, it is more interesting to drive Empyrena with voltage output. The opposite is true for sony ier z1r. The sound of z1r is calmer and less dynamic when driven by voltage. Current mode is more suitable for z1r. Both modes of ie900 are suitable, depending on your taste. I've only been playing with it for two days and there are other headphones to test.
With your N7, the 3.5mm output has poorer crosstalk than the 4.4mm, so it's probably not the best combination with the HPA-23RM. The Empyreans direct out of the 4.4mm socket from the N7 are pretty good, from my memory of when I last tried.

Oct 9, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #40 of 183
With your N7, the 3.5mm output has poorer crosstalk than the 4.4mm, so it's probably not the best combination with the HPA-23RM. The Empyreans direct out of the 4.4mm socket from the N7 are pretty good, from my memory of when I last tried.
23rm only has a single-ended input and cannot use the 4.4 lo of the n7. In fact, the first thing I did when I got the 23rm was to use an rca pole to connect the rme adi2. I found that the resolution was indeed higher than that of the dap, but I found The sound is a bit dirty. The power supply of my desktop device has not been processed. I am not sure whether it is a problem with the power supply or the cheap rca pole. As for the n7 po driver empyrean, I think it has not reached my standards. I think N7 The amplifier is not very good. Before I bought the 23rm, my n7 was connected to ak pa10.

Oct 9, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #41 of 183
Or do you have any suggestions for DAC matching? I saw you using chord hugo2 and was interested in this combination.

Oct 9, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #42 of 183
Not exactly C9 versus HPA-23RM but this review should have mentioned quite a few contenders

https://soundnews.net/reviews/ampli...a-23rm-review-playing-in-a-league-of-its-own/

https://piped.video/watch?v=3K_KuY3ejYI&t=19m8s

BTW, does it really make a difference if HPA-23RM were powered via an external source?

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/enleum4/4/

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/enleum4/7/

There's yet another reviewer who actually tried the charger of MacBook Air and that seemed to result in better sound

https://www.headphoneclub.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=758510&page=1#pid5619524
Seen the video of the 1st review. He never did any comparisons. So far I havenā€™t seen any review with comparisons. So just curious.

Oct 10, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #43 of 183
I have compared 23RM to 23R on relatively short term powering DCA Expanse and find them close and very noticeably the same presentation, but with fully apparent ā€œmobileā€ version of 23R in the smaller package.

Everything good, just pared down or stepped back at the edges. Like your very favorite pizza vs the remaining slices lovingly reheated in the air fryer for almost the same experience without the fresh factor of first preparation.

The beloved weight of bass on all notes across the entire range of sound is there but ever so slightly diminished. Soundstage again alike in category and more intimate in width and breadth than 23R, but not alarmingly so.

A good deal for Cans only, I do use for both cans and loudspeakers so 23R just a better fit overall.
I second that.

I listened to the prototype HPA-23RM at the 2022 CanJam with my own Focal Utopia (2019) and compared directly with the AMP-23R at the headphones.com booth.
The current output wasn't ready then, so I only listened to the voltage output and it had indeed the same presentation as the AMP-23R, just slightly less expansive and less 'effortless', as @Currawong put it.
It was quite impressive, especially given the size reduction!

I own the HPA-21 and find its current output actually drives the ZMF Atrium Open and Close really really well (dynamic HPs are hit or miss with the current output. the Atriums just happen play nicely with it) and would love to hear the 23RM.

Oct 11, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #44 of 183
Or do you have any suggestions for DAC matching? I saw you using chord hugo2 and was interested in this combination.
As far as portability goes, that's as good as you're going to get. I've found the HPA-23RM revealing enough that I can hear a difference between using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable versus RCA, as the 3.5mm connectors have slightly worse crosstalk, due to the connector in this case.

The Hugo 2 already has a very good headphone output, so there are limits to how much, if at all, the HPA-23RM can benefit being added in the chain.

Oct 14, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #45 of 183
I just got mine in and love it, truly. The sound is so clear and effortless that it reminds me of Ferrum's OOR in a small package. It is replacing my "take to work" setup. Stellias sounds amazing in the voltage output, and my Diana v2s shine in the current output. I have an RME ADI-2 PRO feeding the RCA inputs at home, and I take my Cayin N7 on the go. The amp makes the headphones shine and even sounds great with my Susvaras (current output).

I have compared it to the C9 and feel like there is much more power coming out of the Enleum as compared to the C9 at the same volume pot setting. There is almost more command of the driver with the Enleum. I have also compared it to the Diablo-X, and although there is so much more power with this little beast, the soundstage is much more intimate (compressed) than the Enleum (I was feeding Diablo-X with balanced input and listening with balanced output). They are both very neutral amps, so it is hard to compare without listening closely. I love them both, but the Enleum wins for me in having an output (current) practically dedicated to driving planars. Yes, it is more expensive, but so is my Roon Nucleus, Mac Mini M1 driving the HQP, ADI-2 DAC Pro, and headphones.

IMG_1941.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back