The Enleum HPA-23RM Discussion Thread
Apr 27, 2024 at 2:16 AM Post #166 of 177
IMG_3196.jpeg

I found really short right angle rca connector head cables and you probably can get the shop to custom to the length.

Apr 27, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #167 of 177
I recently demoed the 23-RM with the hope to power the Susvara when travelling. I really, really wanted this amp to work (almost blind bought it). I ended up disappointed.

My A/B test was done between the headphone out of Hugo 2, and the 23-RM hooked up to the Hugo 2. Two second switches between both outputs.

Going from the Hugo 2 to the 23-RM, I noticed a slightly thicker, denser sound, with a stronger kick in the mid-bass. Unfortunately, I also noticed a reduced soundstage and a loss in clarity, especially in the voices. Going back to the Hugo 2 headphone out, music became more ethereal and flatter but gained in transparency, cleanliness and airiness, which are the qualities I like most with the Susvara.

After 30 minutes of tests with varied tracks, my preliminary conclusion was that the small improvements the 23-RM brought over the Hugo 2 were not worth the downsides.

Of course, the big advantage of adding the 23-RM in the chain was the much higher headroom, which makes it possible to listen to classical music.

I do not recall the serial number of the demo unit but customer reports about series sounding different are not encouraging.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 4:27 AM Post #168 of 177
I recently demoed the 23-RM with the hope to power the Susvara when travelling. I really, really wanted this amp to work (almost blind bought it). I ended up disappointed.

My A/B test was done between the headphone out of Hugo 2, and the 23-RM hooked up to the Hugo 2. Two second switches between both outputs.

Going from the Hugo 2 to the 23-RM, I noticed a slightly thicker, denser sound, with a stronger kick in the mid-bass. Unfortunately, I also noticed a reduced soundstage and a loss in clarity, especially in the voices. Going back to the Hugo 2 headphone out, music became more ethereal and flatter but gained in transparency, cleanliness and airiness, which are the quality I like with the Susvara.

After 30 minutes of tests with varied tracks, my preliminary conclusion was that the small improvements the 23-RM brought over the Hugo 2 were not worth the downsides.

Of course, the big advantage of adding the 23-RM in the chain was the much higher headroom, which makes it possible to listen to classical music.
Did you try with the voltage out or current out? And also at what volume output

Apr 27, 2024 at 4:31 AM Post #169 of 177
Did you try with the voltage out or current out? And also at what volume output

Hello! I used the current output. Hugo 2 was in "line out" mode (3.7v if my memory is correct) and the 23-RM pot at about 11am when volume matching by ear. It's the demo unit at Zepp.

Apr 27, 2024 at 4:53 AM Post #170 of 177
Hello! I used the current output. Hugo 2 was in "line out" mode (3.7v if my memory is correct) and the 23-RM pot at about 11am when volume matching by ear. It's the demo unit at Zepp.
Two things went wrong, not your fault but how finicky this thing is. 1) Shouldn't have used the line out. I'm surprised you didn't hear distortion with the line out. Instead, turn the Hugo 2 volume to half-ish (around green). 2) Try the voltage out. To my ears the voltage out is a pretty definitive pareto upgrade over the Hugo 2 white filter. Imagining and stage improves noticeably, while still being the Hugo 2 sound through and through. Instead of quick A/B switches, try to sit through entire songs and pay attention to the images of and the space around instruments. The current out is more of a hit-or-miss, depending on HP and your preference about spaciousness.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #171 of 177
Ok you may need to push down the volume output from Hugo. Base on my experience, a hotter input is actually detrimental to the Enleum output. Their amp volume control stage is quite different, where they attenuate the output rather then input.

Apr 27, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #172 of 177
Ok you may need to push down the volume output from Hugo. Base on my experience, a hotter input is actually detrimental to the Enleum output. Their amp volume control stage is quite different, where they attenuate the output rather then input.

Thanks for the tip. I am looking forward to giving it another try. I actually asked Enleum this exact question but no one bothered answering in 3 months.

Apr 27, 2024 at 6:45 AM Post #173 of 177
Two things went wrong, not your fault but how finicky this thing is. 1) Shouldn't have used the line out. I'm surprised you didn't hear distortion with the line out. Instead, turn the Hugo 2 volume to half-ish (around green). 2) Try the voltage out. To my ears the voltage out is a pretty definitive pareto upgrade over the Hugo 2 white filter. Imagining and stage improves noticeably, while still being the Hugo 2 sound through and through. Instead of quick A/B switches, try to sit through entire songs and pay attention to the images of and the space around instruments. The current out is more of a hit-or-miss, depending on HP and your preference about spaciousness.

Thanks for the tips. I was under the impression that the current output was designed for planar headphones.

I recognize that the 23-RM does imaging very well. It became apparent when listening to jazz.

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #174 of 177

Going from the Hugo 2 to the 23-RM, I noticed a slightly thicker, denser sound, with a stronger kick in the mid-bass. Unfortunately, I also noticed a reduced soundstage and a loss in clarity, especially in the voices. Going back to the Hugo 2 headphone out, music became more ethereal and flatter but gained in transparency, cleanliness and airiness, which are the qualities I like most with the Susvara.

I do not recall the serial number of the demo unit but customer reports about series sounding different are not encouraging.

Despite any changes, I'd be surprised if your opinion changes, as this largely sounds like the simple differences between the Chord and Enleum house sound. Would agree with this description with the Hugo 2 and Bakoon as well.

Apr 27, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #175 of 177
The fact that they put 3.5mm on the voltage out is just dumb. Discourages people from plugging in full size headphones into the voltage out for no reason. I can't imagine anyone buying this and using a 1/8-to-1/4 adapter to listen to headphones, even if the voltage out indeed works better for them.

Apr 27, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #176 of 177
Due to the large difference between both port, you must really try both as they kinda change the the sound in their own way. The current port is generally wild though. That and how volume is actually controlled makes this device a finicky one that makes noticeable difference (good or bad) when used.

Apr 29, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #177 of 177
Despite any changes, I'd be surprised if your opinion changes, as this largely sounds like the simple differences between the Chord and Enleum house sound. Would agree with this description with the Hugo 2 and Bakoon as well.

That's interesting. An amp for the Sus that I really liked was the dCS Lina, as it seemed to totally disappear yet superbly control the drivers without trying to impress. Form factor and price are not for me. Perhaps the Enleum house sound is an acquired taste.

The fact that they put 3.5mm on the voltage out is just dumb. Discourages people from plugging in full size headphones into the voltage out for no reason.

You have a point. The 3.5mm hints at usage with IEMs and entry-level headphones. On the other hand, it makes it easier to distinguish the outputs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back