The end of MP3 players and amps on airplanes?
Aug 12, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #61 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by russdog
This is not a viable solution. By the time you get to security, your bags are already checked. At many airports, you will be getting out of a line you've been in for 45 minutes, walk back to ticketing, then get back in a long line again. Meanwhile, the plane door is closing in 20 minutes.

that's what i was thinking. can one mail a package (with your amp, mp3p, etc.) AFTER being checked in by security instead of losing it?

Aug 12, 2006 at 9:08 AM Post #62 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
With people starved for entertainment or distraction, this could become good business.

Except that I do not want to be their customer for entertainment.

Aug 12, 2006 at 10:02 AM Post #63 of 73
ya, i dont trust them to check my laptop, especially on an international flight with a lot of stops and a greater chance something will get lost. I guess i would be ok with just putting my laptop bag in the overhead storage and hten having hte flight attendant lock them up.

Aug 12, 2006 at 11:51 AM Post #64 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
that's what i was thinking. can one mail a package (with your amp, mp3p, etc.) AFTER being checked in by security instead of losing it?

Unless things have changed since the last time I flew, there are ways of accessing your checked luggage.

Of course doing this will be disruptive, but it's still not impossible. I was simply addressing fears of confiscation.

But attempting to ship you belongings can be just as problematic.

Have you ever flown out of Savannah, GA at 6:00 AM? there are no facilities to accept a package.

I guess the best solution for now is to put anything that you might have a problem with in your checked luggage right from the get go.

Aug 12, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #65 of 73
Now you guys shd fly Singapore airlines. Movies on demand and games too
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #66 of 73
^ Nippon Air has it too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways, I'm betting eventually all liquid items and electronics will be banned, even non-carryon items. Think about it. It wouldn't be hard for a terrorist to hide an explosive inside a laptop and then stuff it into their non-carryon luggage. Then, with a simple modded cellphone, etc. he could detonate the bomb remotely.

Aug 13, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #68 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squibbles
Anyways, I'm betting eventually all liquid items and electronics will be banned, even non-carryon items. Think about it. It wouldn't be hard for a terrorist to hide an explosive inside a laptop and then stuff it into their non-carryon luggage. Then, with a simple modded cellphone, etc. he could detonate the bomb remotely.

If they were serious about security, you'd probably be right. But if they were serious about security, don't you think they'd be scanning the freight in the hold? Five years later, and they don't scan *any* of it. Right now, there is no mechanism whatsoever to prevent an altitude-triggered device from going on any U.S. airliner without any need for an onboard accomplice. Which makes me wonder, "Is it about 'security' or 'security theater'"? My guess is that we'll be permitted our water bottles soon enough, and our iPods, just so we agree to stand in line, undress, and say "Mooo".

Aug 13, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #69 of 73
No no, you're wrong. They do scan checked in baggage. It's a different type of scanner from the ones that carryon baggage scanners use. But despite this, I'm sure a determined terrorist would be able to hide an explosive within an innocent exterior.

Aug 13, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #70 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squibbles
No no, you're wrong. They do scan checked in baggage.

Yeah, I know, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about shipped parcels, not checked passenger baggage. From Business-A to Business-B... no passengers involved...

Aug 13, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #72 of 73
This is all hysteria.

If terrorists are hell bent on killing people, then a few of them can walk into the main train station in any city in the world at rush hour and do this. Anytime.

So are they going to ban cans of coke, bottles of water and Ipods in public places too? Will you have to have your soda scanned before you enter an office tower building? Underground train too? Otherwise this is an utter farce.

I dont think I'll be flying anywhere until they cut this nonsense out. Its just for show.

Aug 13, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #73 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oga
This is all hysteria.

If terrorists are hell bent on killing people, then a few of them can walk into the main train station in any city in the world at rush hour and do this. Anytime.

So are they going to ban cans of coke, bottles of water and Ipods in public places too? Will you have to have your soda scanned before you enter an office tower building? Underground train too? Otherwise this is an utter farce.

I dont think I'll be flying anywhere until they cut this nonsense out. Its just for show.

Hear, hear. If one reviews the overall history of airline security, it's a story of driving while looking in the rear-view mirror. Everytime there is an "incident," there are new rules tacked on that address the previous incident. Knowing this, the terrorists could truly "win" by coming up with all kinds of new and strange "threats" that could result in making us fly naked and with no luggage at all, eventually. And even then, how about "tooth bombs," or "deodorant bombs," or "suppository bombs." You see where this is going.

If the goal of the terrrrrists is to cripple our way of life, they're really on the right track, sad to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back