The end of MP3 players and amps on airplanes?
Aug 11, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #16 of 73
There's a chance this'll be permanent

However, the Department of Transport has already said they hope this will be temporary. Also airlines are losing money from the increased checkout times anf lfight delays etc. Where money is involved...

Not to mention a hand luggage ban was used in the 80s for the last terrorist act, so these things seem to go in cycles. Whether we've reached the point were someone says hand luggage is gone forever only time will tell

Aug 11, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #17 of 73
Two words: road trip!

I've only flown once since 9/11. No, I'm not afraid, but I don't like the security hassle, and I always seem to pick up a cold on a flight. So for business (have to go to Arizona fairly often) and vacations, they've all been driving. I enjoy it much more.

Back to the topic, I think they'll ease up on headphones, laptops, etc. soon enough. Too much pressure from business travelers, and they're the ones who keep airlines in business.

Aug 11, 2006 at 9:48 AM Post #18 of 73
As per title.
U think they'll care?
icon10.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 10:06 AM Post #19 of 73
Sweet. Im flying to the US this weekend through amsterdam. The bastards better not touch my laptop or my mp3 player.

Im sure ill have a great flight too. Not only will i constantly be thinking about how the plane might catch fire, since im arab im sure everyone will be staring at me the whole way.

Aug 11, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #20 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychoacoustist
As per title.
U think they'll care?
icon10.gif

No.

The top concern initially will be security. Restrictions will err on the side of caution. As the urgency of this particular situation dies down, some temporary restrictions will be made permanent, others discarded or relaxed. The decision that the various responsible agencies make will be driven largely by the need for security, balanced against the financial impact on the airline industry and the convenience of the traveler. As someone noted above, the "traveler" that will be considered in making these decisions will, for the most part, be the business traveler.

The business traveler talks with dollars (or pounds, or the currency of your choice). A petition simply doesn't have the same weight.

/Febs goes to make his flight reservations for 4 business trips over the next 4 weeks ...

Aug 11, 2006 at 12:20 PM Post #21 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek
Sweet. Im flying to the US this weekend through amsterdam. The bastards better not touch my laptop or my mp3 player.

Let's get one thing straight, the security people aren't the bastards, the Muslim fascists who think it's OK to kill hundreds of people because they don't share their fanatical beliefs are the bastards. They're the ones who are disrupting everyone's lives.

Quote:

Im sure ill have a great flight too. Not only will i constantly be thinking about how the plane might catch fire, since im arab im sure everyone will be staring at me the whole way.

No offense intended, but you probably will be under increased scrutiny.

It turns out that most of the aforementioned Muslim fascists come form your part of the world.

Given that, it only makes sense to pay more attention to passengers who also come from that part of the world.

Aug 11, 2006 at 12:21 PM Post #22 of 73
*searches for the word 'book' in this thread*
Seriously, has anyone else here just kind of picked up a book and 'read' the flight away? You dont always need your headphones, game systems, movies, laptops etc...and i find it amusing that this alternative hasnt been thought of once in this thread.
Not to say that i dont enjoy the electronics, but they are not a neccesity...
EDIT:
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6

It turns out that most of the aforementioned Muslim fascists come form your part of the world.

Given that, it only makes sense to pay more attention to passengers who also come from that part of the world.

While I agree with you that it only makes sense, that is called 'racial profiling' and is strictly not allowed. Pre-9/11, an airport could incur a fine if they had more than 3 (i believe thats the number, might have been 2) people of the same race in secondary questioning at the same time, they were forced to diversify. Im not sure if thats they way it still is, but racial profiling is definitly not allowed, no matter how much sense it may make.

Aug 11, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #23 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsteinb88
Seriously, has anyone else here just kind of picked up a book and 'read' the flight away? You dont always need your headphones, game systems, movies, laptops etc...and i find it amusing that this alternative hasnt been thought of once in this thread.

Between January and April of this year, I made 12 round-trips from Philadelphia to San Francisco. That meant that almost every week, I was spending something like 50-60 hours per month on a plane (in addition to the time I spent in airports waiting to board, etc.) When I'm spending so much time traveling, the ability to use my laptop to get work done is extremely important.

If I'm not working, I will often try to sleep during a flight. In fact, sometimes, it is *necessary* for me to sleep, when I am on a red-eye flight or a flight that gets in very late at night and I have business the next morning. It is impossible to do this if there is a screaming baby in the row behind me, or a fellow in the seat next to me who wants to talk about his entire medical history in a very loud voice. E4s are more than a convenience in this situation; they are essential.

Sure, I'll read books on flights. But don't assume that we all have the luxury of spending an entire flight reading for leisure.

Aug 11, 2006 at 12:37 PM Post #24 of 73
Quote:

EDIT:

While I agree with you that it only makes sense, that is called 'racial profiling' and is strictly not allowed. Pre-9/11, an airport could incur a fine if they had more than 3 (i believe thats the number, might have been 2) people of the same race in secondary questioning at the same time, they were forced to diversify. Im not sure if thats they way it still is, but racial profiling is definitly not allowed, no matter how much sense it may make.

I'm not sure if it's prohibited or not.

But if it is prohibited, we need to modify the law.

It makes a lot more sense to scrutinize young men from Pakistan more than grannies from Yonkers.

Make no mistake, I am dead set against sacrificing our precious liberties, but there are situations where the public safety must take precedence.

For example, the Supreme Court has already found that random drug tests of Nuclear workers are justified because public safety concerns outweigh privacy concerns.

I believe that with regard to commercial flights the same sort of situation exists.

Aug 11, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #25 of 73
Quote:

For example, the Supreme Court has already found that random drug tests of Nuclear workers are justified because public safety concerns outweigh privacy concerns.

I believe that with regard to commercial flights the same sort of situation exists.

That has nothing to do with racial profiling. If they for example wanted to only test black people for drugs then it would be profiling and im fairly sure a decision like that would have been voted down unanimously.

Aug 11, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #26 of 73
Quote:

I like to read ebooks on my laptop. On the way over here I read the rockbox manual from start to finish. Kickass piece of software.

Aug 11, 2006 at 1:07 PM Post #27 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek
That has nothing to do with racial profiling. If they for example wanted to only test black people for drugs then it would be profiling and im fairly sure a decision like that would have been voted down unanimously.

What should be the major focus is how to best protect the public safety.

IMO not increasing scrutiny for young men from Islamic countries would not only be dumb but also irresponsible.

Of course, I can understand how you would disagree.

Aug 11, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #28 of 73
Quote:

I was talking to someone last night who is leaving today to fly to Europe today. They are not going to be allowed to take any books on the plane.

Aug 11, 2006 at 1:40 PM Post #29 of 73
Quote:

Let's get one thing straight, the security people aren't the bastards, the Muslim fascists who think it's OK to kill hundreds of people because they don't share their fanatical beliefs are the bastards. They're the ones who are disrupting everyone's lives.

So forcing democratic change via military incursion is something completely different?

The entire situation is a vicious cycle of ideological conflict, has been for years and always will be.

As regards prohibitions on luggage. Security is always at its tightest most efficient and effective right after any breach. Things will calm down again.

Aug 11, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #30 of 73
Quote:

Firstly, I think we should stop calling them Muslim fascists, but rather facsists alone. After all, this is not the war of civilizations, but the clash of ideals (some would disagree though).
Next, if I had not remembered wrongly, eht men caught were all British citizens, though of "Pakistani Descent" . Remember not too long ago when the lady, or shoud I say woman, from Belguim tried to do something (not too sure what though, suicide bombing?)

It is sad though, that we stereotype people by their races. Sigh... isn't this thread becoming too political. Sorry mods. Delete this if it is deemed unsuitable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back