The end of MP3 players and amps on airplanes?
Aug 11, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #46 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6
Well of course you're correct. From now on I'll refer to them simply as zealots. Muslim zealots.

For myself, I'm not sure what descriptor is most fitting. I know that "fascist" is just plain inaccurate and misleading. While zealots make me nervous, there are lots of people who are zealots about one thing or another and, while I might not agree with whatever they're being zealots about, they don't all go around preaching hate and murdering people either. So, we'd be giving zealots a much worse name than they deserve.

To me, there's not much difference between the allegedly-Islamic terrorists who hurt us vs. the allegedly-Christian terrorists who caused such agony in Ireland. AFAIK, the main difference is that the Irish ones didn't hurt Americans. Other than that, I have a hard time telling the difference. So, maybe "religious terrorists" might fit? I don't think they're religious, but they seem to think they are.

ps: I don't know if this is true, but I have wondered if perhaps the Muslim terrorsts have given terrorism such a bad name that they effectively put the IRA out of business (terrorism-wise, anyway).

Aug 11, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #47 of 73
I agree that we need to bring technology to bear on the problem. I travel frequently and virtually always use laptop to get work done. And i use my ipod to tune out the world.

I saw on the today show this morning that the cost would be 24 billion to update the airports with the latest detection technonolgy.

That seems like a lot (and it is) until you consider that we have spent just shy of 300 billion in Iraq in the last year. It makes you wonder about priorities

Aug 11, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #48 of 73
If it comes to the point we can't take anything with us on the plane, will this be a new business opportunity for the airlines? They could start rentals or sell more things than they already do during flights. With people starved for entertainment or distraction, this could become good business.

Aug 11, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #49 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
If it comes to the point we can't take anything with us on the plane, will this be a new business opportunity for the airlines? They could start rentals or sell more things than they already do during flights. With people starved for entertainment or distraction, this could become good business.

Well, maybe, but whatever they'd be renting wouldn't be good enough for us, would it? :wink:

Aug 11, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #50 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by russdog
How is your request any different from me asking you to start a new thread for discussions of "mad bombers" and/or your very personal issue with motion sickness? In this case, the discussion about what the word "fascist" means just naturally arose out of language that some folks were using, just like you used "mad bombers".

Just because you don't like talking about the word and what it means, that doesn't mean that reasonable people can't discuss things in a reasonable fashion.

russdog,
you are treading on political/religious territory and what i'd "like" is for you to leave, before you threadjack and get my thread closed. understand?

Aug 11, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #51 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
russdog,
you are treading on political/religious territory and what i'd "like" is for you to leave, before you threadjack and get my thread closed. understand?

I didn't realize that the OP "owned" the thread. I thought it was "ours", not "yours".

I also don't see anybody being bothered by anything... not one single poster... except you.

Aug 11, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #52 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by russdog
I didn't realize that the OP "owned" the thread. I thought it was "ours", not "yours".

I also don't see anybody being bothered by anything... not one single poster... except you.

you need to read the terms of service on this website.

NO political or religious discussion allowed. otherwise threadlock and deletion. now try not to be a dick about this, okay?

Aug 11, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #53 of 73
Hmm, this is a big reason I am hesitant to iMod. If they don't let you use amps I would be screwed.

Aug 11, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #54 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by benton
Hmm, this is a big reason I am hesitant to iMod. If they don't let you use amps I would be screwed.

theyre not that anal, if they wont let you use an amp they wont let you bring the ipod either.

Aug 11, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #55 of 73
someone mentioned earlier about bringing a small pre-paid package, and if they try to confiscate your gear, just pack it up and mail it back to yourself. i wonder if that would actually work?

Aug 12, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #56 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
someone mentioned earlier about bringing a small pre-paid package, and if they try to confiscate your gear, just pack it up and mail it back to yourself. i wonder if that would actually work?

They aren't going to confiscate anything that is commercially made. If they won't let you bring it in your carry on you'll just have to put it in your checked baggage.

Home made mint tin CMOYs stand a risk of being confiscated, but I wouldn't worry about your SR-71's or your Hornets.

Aug 12, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #57 of 73
i know of a guy who is a hollywood steadicam cameraman, and he has to take his gear all over the world. he also carries lots of steadicam brochures to show customs. seems it works. i wish ray samuels had a small professional "instruction guide" printed for his portable amps (heck i'd pay for one).

stedicam rig:
http://www.carmapictures.com/Press/m...0steadicam.jpg
try getting that through customs right now!

Aug 12, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #58 of 73
This will not last for the very reason that its neither pracrtical nor fair.

Travelling 1 hour in cooped up in 29" pitch seat a plane full of lood boorish people, crazy kids and babies and you cant even carry earplugs, let alone a walkman? I'd personally rather not fly in that circumstance - which is what we have here in the UK.

And then SIX hour intercontintal flights with same? Not even worth considering. At all.

This will simply have the result of putting airlines out of business anyway you count it.

Of course the govt officals making this law travel in govt jets and the rich people travel in their own private jets, jet time-shares and cahrter flights - ie without this insanity.

So its the rest of us left to face this nonsesne. And many will not.

Plus you want me to put a $300 walkman or a $2,000 laptop in my luggage? Hmmm. Anyone who has lost their luggage and faced the ordeal of even getting $50 or $100 back from the airline for their clothes would recodgnise this as a laughable concept.

The theives who work in baggage handling must be laughing themselves silly.

If its not accesible by train or ferry - I aint going.

When these folsk come to their senses, they can give me a call. Until them I am boycotting this insanity. Taking off your shoes was stupid enough but this one is way over the sanity limit. My soundproofing on place = no flying for me. Society and people are just not civilized enough for that. My music and my earplugs are my sanity when I am in those damn cattle sheds they call planes.

Aug 12, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #59 of 73
Realistically, stuff such as cell phones, MP3 players, portable DVD players, etc. wouldn't last very many trips in checked luggage. I mean that in terms of mysterious "disappearances" without even factoring in climate/environment, handling, and so forth. I would be very pessimistic about retaining such stuff in checked luggage ... certainly over the long term.

Edit: So, in the short term, I would at least call the airline before travelling, to try to determine the "real" policy regarding such devices. If necessary, I'd consider shipping cool stuff ahead to myself ... but I would certainly miss it in transit. I'm an avid reader, but I've come to rely on MP3 players and IEMs to make travel more pleasant. Even waiting in the terminal is unpleasantly loud ... I'd certainly consider taking along some IEMs and then paying to rent an iPod, portable CD player, or whatever by the hour for use while waiting. Unfortunately, with all the crises they're facing, I don't know that the airlines will be in a hurry to upgrade their inflight entertainment.

Aug 12, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #60 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6
They aren't going to confiscate anything that is commercially made. If they won't let you bring it in your carry on you'll just have to put it in your checked baggage.

This is not a viable solution. By the time you get to security, your bags are already checked. At many airports, you will be getting out of a line you've been in for 45 minutes, walk back to ticketing, then get back in a long line again. Meanwhile, the plane door is closing in 20 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back