The end of MP3 players and amps on airplanes?
Aug 11, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #31 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron-xp
Sigh... isn't this thread becoming too political. Sorry mods. Delete this if it is deemed unsuitable.

Yes, it is. Can we either get back to the original question, bringing audio equipment with us when we fly, or can we close this thread? I come to Head-Fi to get away from the chaos of the world. There are plenty of appropriate places to discuss political topics. This is not one of them.

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #32 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron-xp
Firstly, I think we should stop calling them Muslim fascists, but rather facsists alone. After all, this is not the war of civilizations, but the clash of ideals (some would disagree though).

I disagree. And our being timid about calling a spade a spade is not doing anyone any good at all.

These are, in fact, specifically and undeniably Muslim fascists. I believe that they more than anyone else would object to calling them merely fascists.

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #33 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20
I'd rather stare at the seat in front of me, and deal with the increased security. Safety first.

I worry that a lot of this is APPEARANCE security, versus actual security. El Al knows how to do the real thing. Checking IDs and finger-banging luggage can only go so far.

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #34 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by replytoken
Yes, it is. Can we either get back to the original question, bringing audio equipment with us when we fly, or can we close this thread? I come to Head-Fi to get away from the chaos of the world. There are plenty of appropriate places to discuss political topics. This is not one of them.

Well, in post #5 I posted a link to TSA's web site.

As of right now electronic devices are NOT prohibited by the TSA.

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #35 of 73
Personal items like shampoo, toothpaste, suntan lotion and creams can be brought along if they're packed in checked luggage.

Thank god for some sense here. I'd be lost if I couldn't wash my hair mid-flight.

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #36 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Personal items like shampoo, toothpaste, suntan lotion and creams can be brought along if they're packed in checked luggage.

Thank god for some sense here. I'd be lost if I couldn't wash my hair mid-flight.

I know you're joking...but checked luggage is not carry-on.

If mp3 players ultimately had to go in checked luggage, that would be scary.

Maybe a new market for G-Shock (temperature and pressure resistant) mp3 players that can be bolted to your luggage?

Aug 11, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #37 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6
I disagree. And our being timid about calling a spade a spade is not doing anyone any good at all.

These are, in fact, specifically and undeniably Muslim fascists. I believe that they more than anyone else would object to calling them merely fascists.

The word "fascist" is contantly misused. This is partly because there is no canonical text for fascism, in the way that 'Das Kapital' was for communism. So, we go by examples. If you look at history, both totalitarian communism and fascism end up in the same place, but by different paths. Communism is far-left, fascism is far-right, but they loop around and meet each other on the other side: totalitarianism. The main practical difference is that totalitarian communists have government bureaucrats running industry, while totalitarian fascists have industry running government. In both cases, normal people lose.

The typical game plan of fascism is that you unite the interests of central government and industry into the only permitted power bloc, then decieve the citizenry into thinking that they should simply trust The Leader who represents the unification of government and corporate power. The tool that fascists usually use is "war against those who are trying to hurt us". While there might be various descriptors for radical fundamentalist Islamic terrorists who hijack religion to justify hate and murder, "fascist" just isn't the right word because it means something else. If you're looking around the modern world for examples of who best fits what fascists do, you might find yourself looking at Certain People in Washington. Sad but true. We Americans don't want to think this of our own government, but it's getting harder and harder to not notice it.

Aug 11, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #38 of 73
Setting the world's more serious problems aside for a moment (I know, a luxury) ... what does a traveller do when he/she shows up at an airport and is told that he/she can't board with an iPod/iRiver/Cowon/Creative/Rio/Sony/Sandisk/etc.?

I suggest in the short term going to the airport with a small box or heavily padded envelope, for mailing/shipping any offending electronics items. Many travellers can't "hand off" a device to someone seeing them off at the airport ... and I can't see Head-Fi members abandoning their precious devices. I can, however, imagine many Head-Fi readers loudly announcing that they'll just not fly, missing their business meeting/vacation/family reunion/whatever.

I think one's safety is more important than one's entertainment, but if the message isn't clear -- or the prohibition is inconsistently applied -- there will in the short term be issues regarding one's personal electronics gear. Since electronics devices were thought to be potential "triggers" for smuggled explosives, this could be a problem for some time.

Aug 11, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #39 of 73
Yeah. Safety first, always... I'm quite happy they've put in these bans.

I'm also happy for my W800i.
smily_headphones1.gif
At least while cell phones are still allowed.

Aug 11, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #40 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead
Setting the world's more serious problems aside for a moment (I know, a luxury) ... what does a traveller do when he/she shows up at an airport and is told that he/she can't board with an iPod/iRiver/Cowon/Creative/Rio/Sony/Sandisk/etc.?

I suggest in the short term going to the airport with a small box or heavily padded envelope, for mailing/shipping any offending electronics items. Many travellers can't "hand off" a device to someone seeing them off at the airport ... and I can't see Head-Fi members abandoning their precious devices. I can, however, imagine many Head-Fi readers loudly announcing that they'll just not fly, missing their business meeting/vacation/family reunion/whatever.

I think one's safety is more important than one's entertainment, but if the message isn't clear -- or the prohibition is inconsistently applied -- there will in the short term be issues regarding one's personal electronics gear. Since electronics devices were thought to be potential "triggers" for smuggled explosives, this could be a problem for some time.

I believe that if in fact the TSA bans electronic devices in carry-ons (so far, they are NOT banned) you can always put them in your checked luggage.

Aug 11, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #41 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by russdog
The word "fascist" is contantly misused. This is partly because there is no canonical text for fascism, in the way that 'Das Kapital' was for communism. So, we go by examples. If you look at history, both totalitarian communism and fascism end up in the same place, but by different paths. Communism is far-left, fascism is far-right, but they loop around and meet each other on the other side: totalitarianism. The main practical difference is that totalitarian communists have government bureaucrats running industry, while totalitarian fascists have industry running government. In both cases, normal people lose.

The typical game plan of fascism is that you unite the interests of central government and industry into the only permitted power bloc, then decieve the citizenry into thinking that they should simply trust The Leader who represents the unification of government and corporate power. The tool that fascists usually use is "war against those who are trying to hurt us". While there might be various descriptors for radical fundamentalist Islamic terrorists who hijack religion to justify hate and murder, "fascist" just isn't the right word because it means something else. If you're looking around the modern world for examples of who best fits what fascists do, you might find yourself looking at Certain People in Washington. Sad but true. We Americans don't want to think this of our own government, but it's getting harder and harder to not notice it.

Well of course you're correct. From now on I'll refer to them simply as zealots. Muslim zealots.

Aug 11, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #42 of 73
if a discussion of fascism is needed, please start a new thread.

i heard on the news this morning (nwcn) something about cell phones and mp3 players being used by the mad bombers (which is what they are: "mad" crazy "bombers" they blow us up).

i would just sit and read a book, but reading and flying or riding on a bus or train gives me motion sickness. i know a books seems an obvious solution, but there are some of us that just can't do it in transit.

Aug 11, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #43 of 73
Quote:

Exceptions are made for baby formula, breast milk or juice if a baby or small child is traveling

Uhhhh... yeah.

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #44 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
Uhhhh... yeah.

what's wrong with breast milk? mommy pumps it into a bottle for baby. or even better, just breast-feed the kid on the plane.

Aug 11, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #45 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
if a discussion of fascism is needed, please start a new thread.

i heard on the news this morning (nwcn) something about cell phones and mp3 players being used by the mad bombers (which is what they are: "mad" crazy "bombers" they blow us up).

i would just sit and read a book, but reading and flying or riding on a bus or train gives me motion sickness. i know a books seems an obvious solution, but there are some of us that just can't do it in transit.

How is your request any different from me asking you to start a new thread for discussions of "mad bombers" and/or your very personal issue with motion sickness? In this case, the discussion about what the word "fascist" means just naturally arose out of language that some folks were using, just like you used "mad bombers".

Just because you don't like talking about the word and what it means, that doesn't mean that reasonable people can't discuss things in a reasonable fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back