The end of interconnects
Feb 13, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #19 of 28
Patrick, are you (or have you already) going to solder the two components together directly?

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #20 of 28
Get rid of the connectors and use ultra short valkyrja soldered directly from one PCB to the other.
You could have even shorter IC's and will have less connectors in signal path.

Feb 14, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #21 of 28
While you're at it, why not pull out the PCBs from both Source/Amp and combine them into a larger chassis. In doing so, you eliminate any interconnects in the signal path.
wink.gif

In all seriousness, it would probably sound quite good. But then you have to worry about shielding, etc...

Z

Edit: xnothingpoetic beat me to it, sorta...

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ziplock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But then you have to worry about shielding, etc...

You forget that Patrick is masterful with ERS paper.
smile.gif

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shorter signal path for power cables gives better sound as well, I have made many experiments.

I am finding this to be true. I got a one foot long hospital cord on my amp and it challenges the VD cord in soundstage and impact. Not as black background but it's only about $10.

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get rid of the connectors and use ultra short valkyrja soldered directly from one PCB to the other.
You could have even shorter IC's and will have less connectors in signal path.

I rather remove the PCB completely and use point to point wiring. However, round conductors color the sound; thick cable trades low-level detail for smoothness/thickness/warmth, and thin cable trades low-level detail for edginess/brightness/speed. Using the perfect size conductor has more low-level detail but lacks in bass and speed, it sounds grey and boring.

The analog interconnect I liked the most was 22awg with a combination of 60 and 78 microns silver plating (Valkyrja + Valhalla). They used single filaments which smeared the low-level detail. I like Dual filaments of Valhalla power cable better (less contact with conductor surface), however, it's 16awg which is too thick for analog interconnects. But I have found that it's perfect as K1000 headphone cable, the 70microns silver plating is perfect as well. It gives me eargams, I can show pictures now when it's Valentines day. Valhalla my love.

I'm showing only my head (head-fi rules!).
l_8a14147804f89752f1b4e91e9440b8da.jpg

Feb 14, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ziplock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While you're at it, why not pull out the PCBs from both Source/Amp and combine them into a larger chassis. In doing so, you eliminate any interconnects in the signal path.
wink.gif

In all seriousness, it would probably sound quite good. But then you have to worry about shielding, etc...

Z

Edit: xnothingpoetic beat me to it, sorta...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You forget that Patrick is masterful with ERS paper.
smile.gif

I have separated every compartment available in every component I have, it gave more low-level detail because it fixed the internal reflections inside.

Here is also my 27cm Valkyrja + 15cm Valhalla combo which I used before. Those PCBs were pulled out from PS Audio GCC-100 amp so I could do shorter signal path and bypass all connectors. Later I was able to squeeze everything together for 15cm, but it was still too long.
l_9fd35bc8562ce64681f2492dea28b64d.jpg

Benchmark DAC1
l_e611e2502b331768690d091f68124e19.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back