The end of interconnects
Feb 12, 2009 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Patrick82

Banned
l_86c32f5853ee053d1cb61230916d2ba9.jpg

I have tried Nordost Valhalla 44cm, I cut it to 15cm and got more bass and detail. I tried Nordost Valkyrja 27cm and got more low-level detail than 15cm Valhalla, but it sounded too warm. I tried 15cm Valhalla + 27cm Valkyrja combination and got the best flavor but with less low-level detail. I needed more low-level detail so I cut it again and ended up with 7cm Valkyrja, but it was still too warm and veiled in the complex passages. Then I removed the Valkyrja completely and soldered the connectors to each other, the veil of the complex passages was gone! The layering is crazy and it sounds very thick, strong and transparent!

l_777b0d6c260b40ddab6514555290f9fb.jpg

l_d2a5bfea150f42098421dcf9c822199b.jpg

l_ff2074aa76c84ec89fa8cdd185e09777.jpg

Feb 12, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 28
...So you're saying your original cut of 15 cm is what you ended up with in the end since you cut out the Valkyrja?
confused.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...So you're saying your original cut of 15 cm is what you ended up with in the end since you cut out the Valkyrja?
confused.gif

After experimenting with cables I ended up with 7cm Valkyrja, it gave the most bass and low-level detail, the shorter the better! Then I removed the Valkyrja and got more of everything. A soft wire in the signal path softens and veils the sound, with round conductors it is easy to hear how different thicknesses sound different, I think it has to do with vibration. Connectors are also round but they are stiff so the vibration doesn't affect it as much.

I'm using four Magix levitation feet under EMU0404 USB and four Magix under T-Amp, they are separately isolated from vibrations...it sounded muddy when they were on top of the same isolation board.

Feb 13, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 28
I'm getting the most detailed and transparent sound than ever before, and from $200 source and $39 amp! The low-level complex passages are crazy clear! The bass is bigger and stronger than ever before!

I have owned dCS Elgar Plus DAC, dCS Verdi Encore, PS Audio GCC-100, Krell KAV-500i. They are nothing compared to laptop + EMU0404 USB + T-Amp! The shortest signal path with the lowest wattage was always the best, anything else colored the sound.

I have found that the amp with the longest signal path sounded the muddiest. I removed the ICEpower modules from the GCC-100 amp and the shortest interconnect I was able to use was 15cm. T-Amp is better, 0 cm!

Feb 13, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The layering is crazy and it sounds very thick, strong and transparent!

Something (or someone) is crazy alright.
darthsmile.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #8 of 28
Patrick, I'm disappointed. I clicked on this thread expecting that you had developed completely wireless power and signal cables.

You need to step it up!
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #11 of 28
Images of Patrick hanging off power poles with his hard soldered gear connecting his ears to raw power lines.. drifting into my head.. the power pole of course would be supported by Magix feet in case of earthquake vibrations.

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #12 of 28
Awesome Patrick! Not the neatest soldering job I've seen... but at least you're having fun!

Are you a member of the trade yet?

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Images of Patrick hanging off power poles with his hard soldered gear connecting his ears to raw power lines.. drifting into my head.. the power pole of course would be supported by Magix feet in case of earthquake vibrations.

You mean this thread? Shocking!! - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Shorter signal path for power cables gives better sound as well, I have made many experiments. The tweak below was not me, I don't live in USA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was sitting in the living room with some of my roommates last night and we heard a huge *BANG* come from outside, and a bright flash through the windows. We thought that lighting had struck nearby, but then we noticed that there was still light flashing from somewhere outside.

So we stepped out and saw this right across the street:

DSC_0203small.jpg

DSC_0204small.jpg

DSC_0205small.jpg

72,000 volts... burned a hole right through the concrete... still don't know how it happened!
confused.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was gonna say the same UE :p Might as well go all the way and solder your headphone cable directly to the amp output.

I have had the headphone cable soldered directly to the PCB of PS Audio GCC-100 amp. Bypassing the amp binding posts gave a huge improvement in detail and bass. I had also bypassed all fuses and connectors. I could not tweak it any better, the signal path was still too long! T-Amp is my new reference amp only because the signal path is so short. Even with connectors, it's better than anything else I have tried.

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #15 of 28
Well, but those are interconnects as well. Even if they are insane short...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back