The Eminent Ears Appreciation & Impressions Thread - starting with The Ruby
Jun 11, 2024 at 3:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5
Kicking off a new thread for the Eminent Ears brand who's just debut their Ruby IEMs. They have kindly sent me a review pair which I received only yesterday which I'll be doing in the upcoming days but burning it in meanwhile.

I first came across Eminent Ears in CanJam Singapore 2024 whilst eavesdropping in a group convo @HiFiHawaii808 had with @jude where the Ruby got mentioned. I got introduced to Travis Chan at the Eminent Ears booth and had brief demo of the Ruby. To my understanding the Ruby is their first product - at CJSG, they only had 3 units and they partnered up with Vortex to cable up their earphones.

I was quite impressed with what I heard and later on reached out to Travis on getting review pair. Whilst the Ruby has been mentioned sporadically here and there (in the Discovery and Watercooler threads) I don't think many folks know about it and to me, it's a hidden gem (no pun intended, really!).

Here are some pix & some brief info about it for now, but I'll write a proper after giving it a few more days burn-in. Meanwhile, some other members who have it are more than welcome to contribute to this thread.

Regurgitating straight from the spec sheet, the IEMs are a 1xDD (10mm) + 4xBA + 4xEST in a 5-way crossover (this part is from CJSG, assuming that hasn't changed) where the DD covers the low end bass to lower mids, whilst the mids and lower highs are handled by the 4xBA and upper highs handled by the ESTs.

The supplied cables are by Vortex and are silver plates copper alloy terminated by a 4.4mm balanced plug.

The package comes with 2x sets of eartips - one set for vocal and another set for balanced, all put into a storage case.

P6110026.jpeg
P6110027.jpeg
P6110028.jpeg
P6110035.jpeg
P6110031.jpeg

As a quick precursor intro to how it sounds like, I wrote something brief in the Watercooler thread where I felt that there's a nice depth and weight to its house signature. It still maintains a very airy and smooth upper end without sounding peaky. It's the kind of IEM where I think I can listen to hours without fatigue.

What pops out the most to me is it's ability to to separate instruments so distinctively clear, yet maintain complete cohesion & coherency without any one particular instrument sounding out of place.

I'll share more as I go a long later.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2024 at 7:14 AM Post #2 of 5
Happy to see another person talking about these. They are really great. Just got a new set after comparing them to the Fei Wan and Jewel from Aroma Audio. Gotta give them some more time, but so far really nice resolution and separation with an exquisite clarity all well done with excellent cohesion.

Jun 13, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #3 of 5
In a few hours I would have had about 3 days burn in which should be more than enough. i've been listening off 'n on but today I've been little sick with nasal congestion so not a good day to be listening. However in previous days the IEM has continued to impress. It has a laid back signature whichI can listen to for hours, and placement-wise, I feel that I'm right in together with the performing artists and I can "visualise" instrument positioning.

Jun 13, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #4 of 5
In a few hours I would have had about 3 days burn in which should be more than enough. i've been listening off 'n on but today I've been little sick with nasal congestion so not a good day to be listening. However in previous days the IEM has continued to impress. It has a laid back signature whichI can listen to for hours, and placement-wise, I feel that I'm right in together with the performing artists and I can "visualise" instrument positioning.
Feel better! Yeah curious to hear more of your thoughts after you recover, but totally hear you with the visualizing the instrument aspect. No smearing and being able to hear attack and decay of each instrument individually is really nice.

Jun 15, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #5 of 5
So the Ruby has just hit past the 100 hr burn-in mark. Giving it a listen today (after my recovering from my flu) and this IEM continues to impress. Listening to an orchestral soundtrack piece, Somewhere in Time, and I find myself totally immersed together with the whole orchestra. It doesn't feel like a 10th row presentation, not even 1st row presentation but right in it with the different instruments radiating outward infinitely. Yet instrument placement and positioning is distinctively precise and clear.

Sometimes when listening to Ruby, it's almost like listening to headphones.

I think that somewhere along the FR, there is slight dip. Comparing to the Tralucent 1Plus2, the latter is a bit more mid forward. But the Ruby is by no means U-shaped. There is still plenty of meat in vocal pieces. Overall, the signature is extremely easy listening with plenty of air and detail without sounding fatiguing. Its bass brings in body with layered texture and reverberation without bleed - extremely well balanced sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back