The Ear Pads Thread (post questions or say what ear pads worked for you)
Mar 14, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #196 of 803
Thanks, but i couldn't find a place to buy the JMoney pads online.
And the Alpha Pads go for $60 + $40 shipping (Europe) which breaks the deal for me.

J$ are no longer made. You'd have to find a used pair, which do pop up once in a while. I've had a pair and same cost as Alphas and not as good to me.

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #197 of 803
Shure SRH840 earpads can be fitted to DT770 without modifications and retain great sound, if a bit warmer.  But why bother?  It is because the Shure pads improve isolation a good bit and tame the treble a little bit as well.  They may also make the headphone feel less "clampy" for some people.
Also, since the Shure pads are shallower, folks with ears that stick out more may find the Shure pads a little uncomfortable.

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #198 of 803
Also, since the Shure pads are shallower, folks with ears that stick out more may find the Shure pads a little uncomfortable.

You can cut the dust covers off the to make them roomier, but it will increase the treble very slightly.

Mar 23, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #199 of 803
Anyone know of a good pair of velours that are 90mm in diameter? Trying to find a good pair that fit my HD424.

Mar 23, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #200 of 803
  Anyone know of a good pair of velours that are 90mm in diameter? Trying to find a good pair that fit my HD424.

Maybe amperior earpads may work...? Though those are not really valour.

Mar 23, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #201 of 803
Amperior pads are way too small. Anyways, just got a pair of RPDJ1200 velours. Hoping I didn't just waste more money.

Apr 16, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #202 of 803
Are there any options on replacement pads for Denon D1001? The Creative Aurvana or Denon ones seem impossible to get, maybe the ones that fit Sony MDR-V6 will fit? Any help will be appreciated. By the way, for resellers matter and so I'm on Spain, thanks in advance.

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #203 of 803
 I permanently removed the foam backing built into the pads, and installed them on my Sextetts. Wow! These are the pads I've been searching for. These help bring out the midrange and treble and it's extremely transparent and neutral. Bass notes and percussion hit hard and deep, but with no bloat. It's hard to believe this is a headphone from 1975, because it destroys many modern headphones with this configuration. Highly recommended for vintage AKG, and perhaps even modern pairs as well. I'll test those next.

Punnisher you have modern Akg K240s or mkII? If you do, i would really like to hear some opinions how the Shure SRH940 sound with them. Been looking for better ear pads for my Akg K240mkII's since the stock pad's are uncomfortable for me. Velvet pad inner diameter is way too small and it presses my ear's quite badly, the pleather pad's are too shallow and the sweating is a problem.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #204 of 803

Punnisher you have modern Akg K240s or mkII? If you do, i would really like to hear some opinions how the Shure SRH940 sound with them. Been looking for better ear pads for my Akg K240mkII's since the stock pad's are uncomfortable for me. Velvet pad inner diameter is way too small and it presses my ear's quite badly, the pleather pad's are too shallow and the sweating is a problem.

You could try K70x velours with some carpet-grade double-sided tape.

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #205 of 803
 You could try K70x velours with some carpet-grade double-sided tape.

I was actually thinking about that but not sure how it would sound with the Akg K240mkII. The Akg K601 pads would be much cheaper, around 11€ for 1 pad. Same size and very similar with the 701 pads. The 702 ear pads seem a bit different compared to the K701 pads and the price is even higher 16.30€ for only 1 pad. I would really like to try different pad's myself but money is tight.
According to one thread i read, the beyerdynamic DT 770V pad's fit the Akg K271 and with slight modding the sound was fairly good? I am not sure where i read it and cant seem to find the Thread... 
size]

Not sure how they would sound with the Akg K240 models.

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #207 of 803

Notus, I haven't forgotten about this. This weekend I'll switch my pads and give them a listen. I'll report back. From what I remember though, it's much, much better than the stock pad setup in comfort and sound.

I have the K240 Studio, the current version. My gear is listed in my profile.

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #208 of 803
Notus, I haven't forgotten about this. This weekend I'll switch my pads and give them a listen. I'll report back. From what I remember though, it's much, much better than the stock pad setup in comfort and sound.

I have the K240 Studio, the current version. My gear is listed in my profile.

Will be waiting for your impression on the sound and comfort.

Apr 28, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #210 of 803
First of all, i am not a audiophile or very experience with high end audio but here is what i think about the Shure SRH840 ear pads on the Akg K240mkII.

I have used the Shure SRH840 ear pads for nearly a month now.
For my ears the size of the pads is slightly too small in every way. Note that i do have large ear's. At first i felt that the depth was good but slightly more would be better as i noticed my ear touching the baffle plate slightly. My first impression was that the ear pads felt surprisingly stiff but they have softened in use.
I was expecting the pad's getting very sweaty and hot, but i am surprised they actually feel quite nice and not as hot as i was expecting.
Over all i think the comfort is good. If you have small or medium ear size i think the comfort can be extremely good.

Compared to the Akg K240mkII stock ear pads the Shure SRH840 ear pads are far more comfortable, this is mainly because the shure pads have far more depth and feel slightly softer. The over all size is nearly the same actually, Akg pads are 5.5cm and the shure ( longest point ) is 6cm. the width is 5cm on the Shure pads. Akg pads are 5.5cm since they are round. I also have to say that the Shure pads feel more natural on your ear's because of the oval size. For me it helps positioning the headphones properly. I did get much better seal with the Shure SRH840 ear pads.

Sound
Both ear pads are stock.

I think the sound over all did not change much from the stock pads. There is very slight differences.
I wont really comment on the treble / mid range because its very easy fix by cutting the baffle plate cover foam from the Shure pads and placing the Akg baffle plate cover foam with the pads. But over all i did not feel there was huge difference in the sound with the stock pads so i kept the Shure SRH840 as stock.
Bass is where the noticeable difference is, especially in the sub bass region. There is not huge amount of more sub bass but enough to notice a difference.
With the Akg K240 stock pads i always felt it lacked extension in the sub bass region.
Over all i think the sound is fairly good on the Akg K240mkII with the Shure SRH840 ear pads maybe slightly more refined and separation is better. They do make the Akg sound warmer/fuller and maybe slightly darker as stock but this is fixed by replacing the baffle plate cover foams.

I recommend trying them if you have issues with the stock pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back