The Ear Pads Thread (post questions or say what ear pads worked for you)
Apr 28, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #211 of 803
Notus, I am using the 840 and 940 pads but with one modification. I removed (cut out) the foam backing on the shure pads, and used the stock foam ring that came with the AKG. The shure pads in their stock form are very dark sounding and I wasn't excited about it.

This combination is by far the best I've tried. Much better than the shure pads unmodified.

The sound is extremely neutral, and no range seems to be emphasized. This results in really good imaging and instrument separation. Textures and resolution is also improved over stock AKG pads. Bass has a nice, punchy feel. Midrange is right about where it should be and is smooth sounding. Treble extends nicely and is slightly forward but didn't seem fatiguing.

Apr 28, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #212 of 803
So far i have tried the Shure SRH840 pads as stock. I was actually thinking of cutting the foam off, but i think i will try that later when the ear pads break in a bit. Currently its not bad at all. The foam inside the ear pads have started to soften up a bit already.
Only issue is that i wish they were a bit larger so the comfort would be even better. 

I will make some edits to my Shure SRH840 post i did earlier, about the comfort and the sound quality as the ear pads slowly break in.

Apr 29, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #214 of 803
The HM5's are a great comfort pad for $18 shipped. I have them on my Ultrasone's and need another pair for the GMP 8.300 D's.

May 8, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #215 of 803
I can strongly recommend for anyone with the original vintage 600 ohm Beyerdynamic DT990, PHILIPS SHP 2500 pads.
These perform much better than any new pads from beyer, as they're all too thick. 
These thinner pads put the drivers closer to your ears so you don't lose the mids, and bass and treble isn't bloated any more.

May 8, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #216 of 803
  I can strongly recommend for anyone with the original vintage 600 ohm Beyerdynamic DT990, PHILIPS SHP 2500 pads.
These perform much better than any new pads from beyer, as they're all too thick. 
These thinner pads put the drivers closer to your ears so you don't lose the mids, and bass and treble isn't bloated any more.

Will try this as the black Beyerdynamic replacement pads for the DT990 Pro that I got some months ago are indeed much thicker than the originals and they've affected the sound, and not for the better...

May 8, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #218 of 803
The packaging on the earpads I purchased had quite a few compatible model numbers, including the 990. I don't remember most of the others but I think the MMX300 was also on the list. 

Unfortunately for the vintage DT990 there are no 'right pads' because they don't make them any more.
The original pads were flatter and fully vented at the back with a fine mesh, rather than the modern equivalent which is at most 25% vented. 

All I know now for certain is that with the Philips pads they sound decent, bordering on really quite good, despite being sealed on the back. 
Since you can get these headphones for less than a brand new set of pads, I think this is a no-brainer for vintage DT990 owners.

Also I should mention that the Philips SHP2500 sounds quite good for the money. Resolution is lacking, but it's a pretty decent bass-forward sound. 
Surprised it doesn't get more attention around here. 

May 8, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #219 of 803
  You sure you got the right pads? You may have gotten the DT770 pads, they look the same but are harder and will change the sound

They are the right pads, I know the 770 pads have an extra layer of harder foam in it. The pads of the original DT990 (from the 80's) were more shallow even when new hence the sound signature change with the deeper pads that they produce nowadays. It's not a bad sound but definitely more v-shaped than with the original pads, more of a 'fun' signature. I've tried AKG K 240 pleather pads (originals) that I had lying around as well and they are not a good match, they make the DT990 sound muddy and veiled, definitely not recommended.

May 16, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #220 of 803

Will try this as the black Beyerdynamic replacement pads for the DT990 Pro that I got some months ago are indeed much thicker than the originals and they've affected the sound, and not for the better...

I just stuffed some rolled up tissue under the pads behind the ears = supreme comfort, slightly angled drivers and almost no change in sound.
The SHP2500 are just a touch too flat for long listening sessions, but YMMV.

May 16, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #222 of 803
Does brainwavz hm5 earpads fit sennheiser hd 280pro?
Or what headphones fit in hm5 earpads?
I don't know about the HD280 Pro's but the HM5 pads will fit on more headphones than can be easily listed.

May 18, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #225 of 803
Want to lend me a set of HM5 pads?  =p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back