The Ear Pads Thread (post questions or say what ear pads worked for you)
Feb 12, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #181 of 803
The SRH940 pads have arrived. They have a foam backing built in, to keep dust out of the headphones. The foam also softens the treble a good amount. Very high quality and comfortable.

They are a soft velour, and oval in shape. They are about perfect for my ears and don't press on the edges of my ears too much. Despite being slightly oval, they have no problems fitting on my Beyerdynamic 880 or AKG K240 Sextett.

As far as sound goes, they did not do well on my beyerdynamic 880. There was too much congestion, and the airiness and treble was gone. The bass and midrange was muffled. I even tried removing the stock beyerdynamic foam driver cover in addition to the foam backing on the pads. The sound was still muffled.

I permanently removed the foam backing built into the pads, and installed them on my Sextetts. Wow! These are the pads I've been searching for. These help bring out the midrange and treble and it's extremely transparent and neutral. Bass notes and percussion hit hard and deep, but with no bloat. It's hard to believe this is a headphone from 1975, because it destroys many modern headphones with this configuration. Highly recommended for vintage AKG, and perhaps even modern pairs as well. I'll test those next.

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #182 of 803
So for a long time I've been using Fostex RP ear pads on my vintage Beyerdynamic DT990.
They were a huge upgrade over the flat, dead original velour pads that had long gone the way of the pancake.

The Fostex pads offered (over the original pancake pads) an almost neutral response across the entire sound spectrum, with a slight mid/low bass hump and very satisfyingly present mids.

Today some brand new (silver) earpads came in the post.
Holy shiznitz - DAT BASS!
I really was not expecting velour pads to bring out the bass more than pleathers of any size and description. 
There is SO much bass, I'm not even sure if I like it!! 
redface.gif

They're bassier than my modded T20RP MKII and easily bassier than my Sennheiser Momentum. 

The main difference bewteen the RP pads, is the sub-bass extension is NOW THERE. 
Also the timbre, separation and soundstage have opened up in a big way - I'm very impressed in these regards.

At first I even put in the foam discs - BIG mistake. On top of moar bass, the mids were recessed. 
Taking them out and letting the stock felt do its work is much better, but still... wow. It's a different animal. 

I can with confidence say that this combination is basshead material. 

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #183 of 803
Does anyone know of any velour/felt type pads that would fit the Fostex 5BB's? Get's pretty warm with the default ones. Can not find the right measurements for them but I know the driver is 30mm, according to the Fostex website.

Sincerely,
BluePhoenixHD

Feb 12, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #184 of 803
  Does anyone know of any velour/felt type pads that would fit the Fostex 5BB's? Get's pretty warm with the default ones. Can not find the right measurements for them but I know the driver is 30mm, according to the Fostex website.

Sincerely,
BluePhoenixHD

You need the baffle diameter, driver size is irrelevant.  The baffle covers the face of the driver and more.  Earpads will secure to it.  A headphone's baffle is usually the same diameter as the cup.  You can measure it yourself with a ruler and by removing an earpad.  You can also measure the earpad's diameter.

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #185 of 803
  Thanks Mad Max, I'll check that site out.  I had a feeling J$ was going to be tough as their website was gone / no more.

FYI - I do have a set of the Sennheiser 280 pads here and they measure about 3-1/8" wide (80mm?) x 4-1/4" high (108mm?) out to out.  I also have a set of Shure840's which measure about 3-1/2" wide x 4" high out to out.  The size of the Shure's are what I needed for my phones and the Sennheiser pads ended up being too narrow.  That 3/8" ended up being a bigger hurdle than I thought.

HD280 pads can't fit M50, you say?

Not difficult to fit, but I imagine that new pads have have never been fitted to a headphone before may prove a bit difficult.

On a separate note, anyone wanting more bass out of their M50 headphone can try SRH750DJ pads.  They fit somewhat loosely and despite being a somewhat wrong shape for M50's cups, they can still be fitted to work with the headphone properly without modifications.  They both focus and increase the bass.  Doesn't sound bad at all to me.  I'm not sure that I like the sound with HD280 pads, however.  Maybe it just takes some getting used to.

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #187 of 803
Took only a split second to find these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/90mm-velour-ear-pads-cushion-earpad-headphone-cover-replacement-headset-9cm-3-6-/171132679917

Feb 22, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #188 of 803
If there are any Realistic Pro 50 owners out there, I can strongly recommend adding a layer of foam between the baffle and the earpad to balance the sound out nicely. 
Since I wasn't using the foam from my new DT990 earpads, I stuck them on my Realistic. Now they're leaning on the cold side of neutral, instead of being on the icy side of cold.

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #193 of 803
  Im looking for real leather earpads for my superlux hd668.
Are there any fitting earpads available?

J$ or JMoney pads are the only leather Beyer pads I know of - these will fit all AKG k240 variants and should therefore fit the Superlux K240 clones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back