The Ear Pads Thread (post questions or say what ear pads worked for you)
Feb 5, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #152 of 803
Feb 5, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #153 of 803

The ones on your link are for A900, not AD900.
Although I heard they are compatible.
But these are some unknown pads from China, and I am looking for some better known branded ones.
Like Mad Dog pads, or Shure pads, or HiFiMan pads.
People reported W5000 pads should fit, but they're $100, too expensive.

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #154 of 803
Sorry... Quality wasn't specified in your post.

I see from all your other inquiries that there seems to be not a good selection of inexpensive "Name Brand" pads available.

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #155 of 803
  The ones on your link are for A900, not AD900.
Although I heard they are compatible.
But these are some unknown pads from China, and I am looking for some better known branded ones.
Like Mad Dog pads, or Shure pads, or HiFiMan pads.
People reported W5000 pads should fit, but they're $100, too expensive.

You could update us with the diameter and perimeter of the stock pads so we can recommend other pads with similar dimensions.

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #156 of 803
Sorry... Quality wasn't specified in your post.

I see from all your other inquiries that there seems to be not a good selection of inexpensive "Name Brand" pads available.

Yep, my fault not specifying this in the first post.
I guess most people just stick with the original pads, but I find them very uncomfortable for my skin.
AT rep confirmed that A900 pads would fit, so any other pads compatible with A900 should fit as well.

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #157 of 803
You could look at the various Shure pads. They are excellent quality and luckily they don't charge a ton for them.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPAEC840-Replacement-Cushions-Headphones/dp/B002Z9JWZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391623158&sr=8-1&keywords=shure+pads

Despite being oval shaped, they fit on my AKG K240 quite well, and are massively comfortable. The pleather is soft and supple, unlike most pleather. I also have the Shure 750 pads which are circular, but meant for smaller headphones. These are just barely circum-aural for me, and I have smaller ears.

Their pads have a fabric backing already built-in. It keeps dust out of the driver area but will soften the treble slightly. If you need a more transparent pad, you could always cut out this backing and use it without.

Though keep in mind pad rolling/upgrading is a risk, because each pad sounds significantly different from each other.

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #160 of 803
  I don't know if these fit your need, these are real leather ear pads cheap...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=leather+earpads&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Thanks man, but compatibility is the biggest issue right now, I have no problem finding high quality pads, but with no idea if they would fit.
I heard Mad Dog Alpha Pads might fit, but no 100% evidence.

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #162 of 803
Yes, we really need dimensions of your headphones. Specifically where the pads mount. Inner diameter is important too but outer is most essential. I'd be happy to measure my Shure 840 pads for you.

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #164 of 803
Hi guys, just wanted to let you know that Brainwavz HM5 pads (borrowed from a friend) fit my AD900X, despite their oval shape.
It required some stretching, but nothing extraordinary and it took me (absolutely new to this pad replacing stuff) about 15 minutes to get both pads done.
So, I suppose all pads similar to HM5 in size should fit as well.

For those interested, the hint is going from the lower side of the cup to the upper side.
I recommend fitting the wide side of the pad (remember, it is oval shaped, so there is a wide side and a narrow side) onto the lower part of the headphone cup first.
Then, you should fit left and right side of the cup, one after another, before going to the upper part, which is the most tricky.
When you feel the pad cannot be stretched anymore, just turn it 90 degrees, so that the wide side of the pad changes its position, allowing you to make a bit more stretching, which should be enough.
But there is a chance that after some usage, the pads would stretch and cannot be fit back onto HM5, which have smaller oval cups.

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #165 of 803
HM5 pads are great for $18 a pair, really comfy and they will fit on just about everything.

They do get a sweat on though... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back