The Ear Pads Thread (post questions or say what ear pads worked for you)
Jan 26, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #631 of 803
Quote:
  Hmm okay, I might buy them, have you tried Hybrid HM5 pads with your 770s?

I tried the velours but I noticed a change in sound and didnt like it. I tried switching back to stock earlier but went back to the 1540s right away. They are just more comfortable.

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #632 of 803
Anyone knows where I can buy REAL leather pads for my dt 770 pro??

Mine is a manufaktur one, back in the day when you could still manufaktur the dt 770, i got the leather pads and the leather headband (which BTW is loose and I need to also change)

Where can I find the real deal? I dont want to experiment with alternative options, I want the exact same leather parts

https://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-EDT770S-Headphone-Pads-Black/dp/B008XHU9ZS

I've found this but it doesn't seem like they are real judging by this reply?

These were not authentic. Others claim theirs came in a branded packaging with instructions which mine did not. Also if you were looking for something to replace your dt770s then these may not be what you want. My pads were flat from being worn for so many years and these being "new" are just as flat. My ears touch the drivers when both of my Beyerdynamic headsets where nice and roomy. I also doubt that these are real leather. I have another set of cans that have leather cups and my ears never sweat as bad as these. I also noticed that within 10 hours of wear one of the pads are starting to smash and aren't expanding back to size like all my other sets of headphones do. Unbelievable for $30. These should be like a $5 set at Dollar General or even maybe $2 at a flea market. That's about the quality these things have.

Jan 31, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #633 of 803

I think you mean pleather, since Beyerdynamic doesn't do genuine leather ear pads.

You probably want these: https://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynamic_dt770_ersatzohrpolster.htm?ref=search_rslt_beyerdynamic+custom+one+pads_149204_0

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #634 of 803

If you get the ones sold by amazon your should be good. If they are fake, you can return them for free.

Or you can just get them directly from beyer
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/ohrmuschelsatz-32.html

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #635 of 803

Mine is a manufaktur one, back in the day when you could still manufaktur the dt 770, i got the leather pads and the leather headband (which BTW is loose and I need to also change)

Where can I find the real deal? I dont want to experiment with alternative options, I want the exact same leather parts

https://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-EDT770S-Headphone-Pads-Black/dp/B008XHU9ZS

I've found this but it doesn't seem like they are real judging by this reply?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dekoni-premium-earpads-for-beyerdynamic-dt-series?referer=EZ9F49

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #636 of 803
Feb 6, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #637 of 803
Hi there,

I currently own the Phillips SHP9500S and was looking for replacement pads that would increase the stoundstage and lowend response. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated as i'm new to the world of swapping pads!

Thanks in advance. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #638 of 803
  Hi there,

I currently own the Phillips SHP9500S and was looking for replacement pads that would increase the stoundstage and lowend response. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated as i'm new to the world of swapping pads!

Thanks in advance. 

I haven't owned the SHP9500, but I have swapped a few pads on a few headphones. Typically, pads will either do one or the other. A large sealed pad such as an Alpha Pad will create a better acoustic seal, which typically results in better bass response. However, by "trapping" the air inside the pads, you often get a more closed-in sound. When I swapped Alpha Pads on my Hifiman HE-400i, I did get slightly better bass, much better comfort, but I don't think the soundstage changed much. I'm not sure why this is - I assume it's since the Alpha Pads are quite large, and they create a little more space between your ears and the drivers.

If anyone disagrees with me, or if I'm off on any of these, please let me know. This is all based on my experience. 

If it wasn't obvious, I'm a big fan of the Alpha Pads. I would do a little research on those, then check out the SHP9500 thread to see what other pads people have successfully swapped.

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #639 of 803
shuto77Ah okay! Thanks for the help. I was thinking maybe a larger pad would increase the soundstage as it would distance the driver from your ear? I will go check out the SHP9500 Thread. But sealed pads sound like the way too go.

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #640 of 803
  Hi there,

Thanks in advance. 

Earpads can't really boost the low end (save for when it pushes the drivers closer to your ears, at which point it will negatively affect soundstage), but for the most part just make sure that what is there is more audible to the listener over ambient noise.

Given the relatively low roll off of the SHP9500 chances are you won't get much more, but do try the Brainwavz HM5 angled (for the imaging) Hybrids or faux leathers (the less porous materials can seal more of the bass notes in and slightly more noise out). I'd EQ the low end still though. Depending on what EQ you have, but if you're using Equalizer APO, set it to 31band with selectable freqs, and use the following:

20hz, +6dB
35hz, +4dB
50hz, +4dB

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #641 of 803
The angled HM5 sound like a good idea. I will order some in a few days and try them out. Looking through the SHP9500 thread people seemed to of had luck with them! I do not use an eq as I like to listen to my source flat. Thank you for the help.

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #642 of 803
Earpads can't really boost the low end (save for when it pushes the drivers closer to your ears, at which point it will negatively affect soundstage), but for the most part just make sure that what is there is more audible to the listener over ambient noise.

Given the relatively low roll off of the SHP9500 chances are you won't get much more, but do try the Brainwavz HM5 angled (for the imaging) Hybrids or faux leathers (the less porous materials can seal more of the bass notes in and slightly more noise out). I'd EQ the low end still though. Depending on what EQ you have, but if you're using Equalizer APO, set it to 31band with selectable freqs, and use the following:

20hz, +6dB
35hz, +4dB
50hz, +4dB

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #643 of 803

20hz, +6dB
35hz, +4dB
50hz, +4dB

Thanks for the information. Am I incorrect in assuming that having a good seal typically improves bass response. I've read this is almost always true with iems, and seemed to be true in my limited experience pad rolling.

In one instance, I swapped in Brainwayvs pads on the Beyerdynamic T70. The seal was improved, as was perceived bass detail. I know others had similar experience with this.

I've also read Tyll Herstens from innerfidelity.com measure the effect of different pads, specifically high-end headphones from Oppo and Focal. He noted that bass response can indeed be altered with a swap. This will also affect the rest of the FR, for good, and for bad.

Let me know if I'm off-base with my interpretation.

Thanks!

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #644 of 803
Thanks for the information. Am I incorrect in assuming that having a good seal typically improves bass response. I've read this is almost always true with iems, and seemed to be true in my limited experience pad rolling.

Yes but not necessarily just the measurable response. Actually if you measured it I wouldn't be surprise if it has no actual impact. What it improves is what you can hear now that you've removed more of the ambient noise interfering with what you're listening to.

Think of it as listening with the windows down vs windows up in a car.

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #645 of 803

Yes but not necessarily just the measurable response. Actually if you measured it I wouldn't be surprise if it has no actual impact. What it improves is what you can hear now that you've removed more of the ambient noise interfering with what you're listening to.

Think of it as listening with the windows down vs windows up in a car.

Good analogy. I understand. Thanks for the information. 

Now what about my assumption that because larger pads create more space between your ears and the drivers sound more open. Is that a stretch? What's the correlation between pad size and soundstage? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back