The Ear Pads Thread (post questions or say what ear pads worked for you)
Dec 22, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #616 of 803
These are the edt 300 gt,have no idea if they would fit the DT1700 or DT1990. The gel seals are discontinued,and i am still have a hard time communicating with a seller in Germany to get my hands on some.

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #617 of 803
Hello. New here.

I just purchased my first set of headphones of great headphones. Beyer DT770s. I usually just used cheap in-ear headphones like LGs. Was using the Skullcandy Hesh 2s work gave me before we were given Bose QC35s. I still prefer the sound of the 770s. 

My only complaint (beside the really long cable, I plan to mod later) is the velour pads. Yes they really comfy but since I wear glasses, the velour makes this "rubbing" sound against my glasses. 

I've been reading through the posts and I was thinking of the Brainwavz sheepskin pads but has anyone tried the HPAEC1540 pads? I live in the desert and would like something a little more breathable once the summer temps hit.

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #618 of 803
A change from Velour to Sheepskin, or any leather type pad, will change the sound signature. I tried the 1770 with leather pads and they became too dark, but every pad is different, as are ears.

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #619 of 803
  Hello. New here.

I just purchased my first set of headphones of great headphones. Beyer DT770s. I usually just used cheap in-ear headphones like LGs. Was using the Skullcandy Hesh 2s work gave me before we were given Bose QC35s. I still prefer the sound of the 770s. 

My only complaint (beside the really long cable, I plan to mod later) is the velour pads. Yes they really comfy but since I wear glasses, the velour makes this "rubbing" sound against my glasses. 

I've been reading through the posts and I was thinking of the Brainwavz sheepskin pads but has anyone tried the HPAEC1540 pads? I live in the desert and would like something a little more breathable once the summer temps hit.

A change from Velour to Sheepskin, or any leather type pad, will change the sound signature. I tried the 1770 with leather pads and they became too dark, but every pad is different, as are ears.

Yes, I 100% agree w/ @Allanmarcus. You might be better off trying to get the Brainwayvz velours, if they're available in your area. I imagine the DT770s would get dark and probably muddy with the bass. A lot of people felt that way about the DT1770s, which are a similar (even if more refined) headphone to the DT770.

Also, most of the nice leather pads I've tried (Alpha Pads and Omni Pads, for example), don't breathe as well as a good velour pad. Leather, protein leather and pleather pads also get very sticky when it's hot and humid, unfortunately. 

Good luck either way, and let us know what you decide to do. 

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #620 of 803

Yes, I 100% agree w/ @Allanmarcus. You might be better off trying to get the Brainwayvz velours, if they're available in your area. I imagine the DT770s would get dark and probably muddy with the bass. A lot of people felt that way about the DT1770s, which are a similar (even if more refined) headphone to the DT770.

Also, most of the nice leather pads I've tried (Alpha Pads and Omni Pads, for example), don't breathe as well as a good velour pad. Leather, protein leather and pleather pads also get very sticky when it's hot and humid, unfortunately. 

Good luck either way, and let us know what you decide to do. 

So I tried the Brainwavz and it sounds noticeably bad. Also, everything sticks to them.

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #622 of 803
Did you try the Brainwavz pleather (I imagine that would be a bad match with the DT700s), or velours? I think the velours would be a better match. 

Sorry, forgot to mention it was the velours. I ordered a set of pleather to see if it helps. Never tried on Brainwavez before and was surprised on how big they are. The velour were beyond comfy too.

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #623 of 803
Sorry, forgot to mention it was the velours. I ordered a set of pleather to see if it helps. Never tried on Brainwavez before and was surprised on how big they are. The velour were beyond comfy too.

Another option would be the Shure Alcantra pads (from the SRH1540), although they are not cheap, and I'm not sure how easy they will be to get in your country. Everyone who tried them loves them, and they breathe very well from what I've read. I haven't tried them, however. Or you can try to purchase the newer velour pads from Beyerdynamic's DT1770 or DT1990. Those velour pads are all very good. 

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #624 of 803
I love the Beyer pads but it looks like the inside diameter is a bit too short for me, touching the ears from above and bottom, creating itchy hot spots. Looking into the HM5 pads. Are the holes a bit larger on these?

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #625 of 803
  I love the Beyer pads but it looks like the inside diameter is a bit too short for me, touching the ears from above and bottom, creating itchy hot spots. Looking into the HM5 pads. Are the holes a bit larger on these?

The HM5 pads are a bit smaller.

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #627 of 803
So I bought the Shure HPAEC1540 pads for my DT 770 Pro LE. I find them more comfortable than the stock velours. They slightly retain their shape even though the Beyers are round.

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #628 of 803
How does it change the sound?, is it noticeable?

I really am interested in this change, not because the stock pads are uncomfortable but just because I wanna try the 1540 pads, they seem to be the most comfortable according to everyone talking about them online.

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #629 of 803
How does it change the sound?, is it noticeable?

I really am interested in this change, not because the stock pads are uncomfortable but just because I wanna try the 1540 pads, they seem to be the most comfortable according to everyone talking about them online.

I didn't use my headphones for a few days because of an ear infection so when I did I went straight to using the new pads. I didn't notice a chance but I'll try both out in the next few days. Also, these don't get hot like the velours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back