The Ear Pads Thread (post questions or say what ear pads worked for you)
Feb 20, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #661 of 803
Anyone try the Shure Alcantara Pads on anything else? I had a 1540 a long time ago, but that we before I pad rolled. Will the Sure pads fit on the beyer T1, Fostex TH900 or Ether C? Anyone try?

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #662 of 803
Anyone try the Shure Alcantara Pads on anything else? I had a 1540 a long time ago, but that we before I pad rolled. Will the Sure pads fit on the beyer T1, Fostex TH900 or Ether C? Anyone try?

Hey Buddy-

I picked up a ZMF Master V2 in part because it had those pads. They are awesome. But, because the lip on the outside of the pad is shallow, it doesn't fit as many headphones as you'd expect, the way the Brainwayvs pads do.

A non-permanent adhesive or tape may do the job, but again, the cup needs to be an similar oval shape to get a good fit.

After swapping a lot of pads on Beyers, which all have a circular cup, I don't think it will work.

I'm curious if anyone has been successful using them on other headphones without tape.

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #663 of 803
For all of those who are using the HM5 pads on their beyerdynamic headphones.. how did you ever manage to stretch these enough to make them fit? 

I bought a couple pairs of the HM5 pads which I was able to cut and fit on my HD650s fine but I can't for the life of me get them on any of my BD headphones. Did you have to trim them quite a bit? I feel like I'm about to tear these apart. 

Thanks!

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #664 of 803
For all of those who are using the HM5 pads on their beyerdynamic headphones.. how did you ever manage to stretch these enough to make them fit? 

I bought a couple pairs of the HM5 pads which I was able to cut and fit on my HD650s fine but I can't for the life of me get them on any of my BD headphones. Did you have to trim them quite a bit? I feel like I'm about to tear these apart. 

Thanks!

I used Brainwavz pleather pads with the Beyerdynamic T70 last year - this was the first and only time I've gotten any BW pads to improve the sound.

IIRC, I had to gently stretch the lip of the pads around the outside of the lip of the ear cups. I didn't try to fit them into the lip because the pads are oval, while most (all?) of the Beyer ear cups are round. It did require a bit of stretching, but since the outside vinyl material of the BW pads is stretchable and durable, I never tore them.

You can also look on YouTube - those pads are quite popular, and a video of almost any installation of a Beyerdynamic full-size headphone should work.

Let us know how it works out.

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #665 of 803
If anyone is curious, I swapped a pair of Brainwavz sheepskin pads (flat rather than angled) onto my Focal Listen to improve comfort/breathability. Unfortunately, while comfort was greatly improved, it totally destroyed the Listen's sound. It literally made them sound like a $20 headphone. I know pad-swapping can have subtle, but noticeable changes to sound, but I had no idea it could alter so much, and so negatively.

It's a shame, since I really love the Listen's sound signature.

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #666 of 803
I used Brainwavz pleather pads with the Beyerdynamic T70 last year - this was the first and only time I've gotten any BW pads to improve the sound.

IIRC, I had to gently stretch the lip of the pads around the outside of the lip of the ear cups. I didn't try to fit them into the lip because the pads are oval, while most (all?) of the Beyer ear cups are round. It did require a bit of stretching, but since the outside vinyl material of the BW pads is stretchable and durable, I never tore them.

You can also look on YouTube - those pads are quite popular, and a video of almost any installation of a Beyerdynamic full-size headphone should work.

Thanks! Glad to know it's possible.. couldn't find any videos of the process involved in putting these on any beyerdynamic headphones. That's why I ended up coming here to ask. 

Edit: I spent 45 minutes trying to stretch these onto my T1s and they didn't even get remotely close... I swear we're talking about different pads lol

I can't even put these on a different pair of headphones anymore because they're so stretched out. 

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #667 of 803

Thanks! Glad to know it's possible.. couldn't find any videos of the process involved in putting these on any beyerdynamic headphones. That's why I ended up coming here to ask. 

Edit: I spent 45 minutes trying to stretch these onto my T1s and they didn't even get remotely close... I swear we're talking about different pads lol

I can't even put these on a different pair of headphones anymore because they're so stretched out. 

Don't waste your time. I've tried almost every pad there is on the T1 gen 1 and your really only have two viable choices IMHO. The original EDT990 or the EDT770. I prefer the 770 as I think it tightens up the bass a little and ameliorates the treble a little. The only pad I have not tried is the T1 gen2 pad. I tried all the brainwaves pads about didn't think any sounded better on the T1. I do use the hybrid on my TH900 and like it that way.

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #668 of 803
Hmmm... If you're going to mention not "wasting your time" on various earpads (for full sized headphones) there's really only 1 choice !

The Audeze LCD replacement earpads (either the Lambskin Leather or Microsuede) are by far the best pads I've ever used.

Do whatever you need to do to retrofit whichever pads are your choice to use to whatever HP you're using. As long as the "business part/driver openning" parts of the pads are over the the right part of the HP what should you care if some of the pads extend beyond the earcups a bit !

I'm currently using the Black Microsuede (not the AQ pads) on my NO, They're not using that slightly stiffer memory foam in them so they take advantage of the thicker pads by compressing slightly more  comfortably.

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #670 of 803
Hmmm... If you're going to mention not "wasting your time" on various earpads (for full sized headphones) there's really only 1 choice !

The Audeze LCD replacement earpads (either the Lambskin Leather or Microsuede) are by far the best pads I've ever used.

Do whatever you need to do to retrofit whichever pads are your choice to use to whatever HP you're using. As long as the "business part/driver openning" parts of the pads are over the the right part of the HP what should you care if some of the pads extend beyond the earcups a bit !

I'm currently using the Black Microsuede (not the AQ pads) on my NO, They're not using that slightly stiffer memory foam in them so they take advantage of the thicker pads by compressing slightly more  comfortably.

Leather pads don't work well with the T1, or are you saying you are using the audeze pads with a T1. The OP was asking about the T1

Feb 26, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #671 of 803

Leather pads don't work well with the T1, or are you saying you are using the audeze pads with a T1. The OP was asking about the T1

I did mention that you can "retrofit" the Audeze LCD pads to ANY full sized HP . The size is not going to be perfect,but once again, if you read the 3rd line of my post I also said this.

If you read the last line I said I was using the Microsuede pads (which are not Leather) on my NO. I think the Beyerdynamic earcups are probably going to be pretty close in size .

Last time I looked there doesn't appear to be an "Earpad Police" that will stop you from using any pads you want on any headphone. What will stop someone is their lack of foresight in trying something different (& better) & their lack of imagination that this is not a big deal .

Feb 26, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #672 of 803

I did mention that you can "retrofit" the Audeze LCD pads to ANY full sized HP . The size is not going to be perfect,but once again, if you read the 3rd line of my post I also said this.

If you read the last line I said I was using the Microsuede pads (which are not Leather) on my NO. I think the Beyerdynamic earcups are probably going to be pretty close in size .

Last time I looked there doesn't appear to be an "Earpad Police" that will stop you from using any pads you want on any headphone. What will stop someone is their lack of foresight in trying something different (& better) & their lack of imagination that this is not a big deal .

Thanks for the clarification. microsuede, BTW, is just a suede-like fabric that is easier to clean and deal with. I have to admit I haven't tried the Audeze pads on the T1 since the Audeze pads are angled, and the T1 already has angled drivers, thus not a great match there.

Sure, anyone can try anything, and even if no one else likes it, if one person does, then it's great for the one person. For the T1 the conventional wisdom is that leather or leather like pads dramatically increase the bass to the point of overpowering levels. Also, the conventional wisdom is that since the drivers are already angled, there is no need for angled pads, and the angled pads can distort the sound stage a bit. But just because most other people have discovered these aspects of the T1 doesn't mean someone else won't like the sound produced with any pad on any headphone.

I's quite possible the Audeze pads will work with well the DT line, or the T70/T90, but not the best with the T1. The consensus is that the audeze pads are extremely comfortable.

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #673 of 803

Thanks for the clarification. microsuede, BTW, is just a suede-like fabric that is easier to clean and deal with. I have to admit I haven't tried the Audeze pads on the T1 since the Audeze pads are angled, and the T1 already has angled drivers, thus not a great match there.

Sure, anyone can try anything, and even if no one else likes it, if one person does, then it's great for the one person. For the T1 the conventional wisdom is that leather or leather like pads dramatically increase the bass to the point of overpowering levels. Also, the conventional wisdom is that since the drivers are already angled, there is no need for angled pads, and the angled pads can distort the sound stage a bit. But just because most other people have discovered these aspects of the T1 doesn't mean someone else won't like the sound produced with any pad on any headphone.

I's quite possible the Audeze pads will work with well the DT line, or the T70/T90, but not the best with the T1. The consensus is that the audeze pads are extremely comfortable.

He,he,he....... If there is anything I've learned to religiously disregard on just about any A/V forum type threads it would probably be "Conventional Wisdom" . In the real world there's nothing conventional at all about wisdom.

I 've never experienced any "distortion of Soudstaging effects" by using angled Earpads with HPs that have already angled their drivers. Using this double "whammy" of imaging contouring may effect how much seperation your hearing between your right & left imaging so that there is more continuousness of the stage in front of you . More like how things sound listening to loudsppeakers.. If anything it helps Soundstaging as the reason it's called is SS because it includes the entire "Aural" picture of the music making layed out in front of you as the players are "staged" in their playing positions. If you want to call what you're referring to as Imaging I can accept that.

I listen to Orchestral music almost exclusively so I'm extremely sensitive to what in recorded music is actually Soundstaging & what is something else. There is a lot more something else going on in most recorded music just for the fact that SS has to be accounted for in the recording technique used for each recording. In short this "accounting'' of a more dimensional view of the music allowing localization of player locations is a hit or miss situation where most producers accept what they get. (& then people rave about the results as "SS"; it's not, its just imaging !

"Conventional Wisdom" .....is that like "Common Sense" ?

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #674 of 803

He,he,he....... If there is anything I've learned to religiously disregard on just about any A/V forum type threads it would probably be "Conventional Wisdom" . In the real world there's nothing conventional at all about wisdom.

I 've never experienced any "distortion of Soudstaging effects" by using angled Earpads with HPs that have already angled their drivers. Using this double "whammy" of imaging contouring may effect how much seperation your hearing between your right & left imaging so that there is more continuousness of the stage in front of you . More like how things sound listening to loudsppeakers.. If anything it helps Soundstaging as the reason it's called is SS because it includes the entire "Aural" picture of the music making layed out in front of you as the players are "staged" in their playing positions. If you want to call what you're referring to as Imaging I can accept that.

I listen to Orchestral music almost exclusively so I'm extremely sensitive to what in recorded music is actually Soundstaging & what is something else. There is a lot more something else going on in most recorded music just for the fact that SS has to be accounted for in the recording technique used for each recording. In short this "accounting'' of a more dimensional view of the music allowing localization of player locations is a hit or miss situation where most producers accept what they get. (& then people rave about the results as "SS"; it's not, its just imaging !

"Conventional Wisdom" .....is that like "Common Sense" ?

All good points!

Conventional Wisdom is the level of wisdom one gets from a political convention! :)

Feb 26, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #675 of 803

Users who are viewing this thread

Back