The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Aug 14, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #3,136 of 3,155
I do not hear any negative impacts on sound quality using the EQ - as long as you don't overdrive any frequency into clipping you should be just fine. Like I mentioned - when you turn EQ on it automatically applies a -6 dB to all frequencies so if you set any of them to +6 dB you are essentially going back to flat response. Try a little experiment by turning on custom EQ and set all 10 bands to +6 dB - you should find no discernible difference in sound from that to EQ Off.

Here are the settings I used for years on my DX90:
33hz = +7
63hz = +6
100hz = +4
330hz = +2
630hz = +1
1khz = +2
3.3khz = +4
6.3khz = +6
10khz = +7
16khz = +6

I listen predominately to heavy metal, hard rock, and classic rock which some smatterings of country and pop/rock.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tim
Thanks for sharing, will try. What is your favorite fw for this kind of music? I am looking for 2.0-like crazy-wide and sound but without glitches and with RB, if this thing exists any) I own MM2

Aug 14, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #3,137 of 3,155
I do not hear any negative impacts on sound quality using the EQ - as long as you don't overdrive any frequency into clipping you should be just fine. Like I mentioned - when you turn EQ on it automatically applies a -6 dB to all frequencies so if you set any of them to +6 dB you are essentially going back to flat response. Try a little experiment by turning on custom EQ and set all 10 bands to +6 dB - you should find no discernible difference in sound from that to EQ Off.

Here are the settings I used for years on my DX90:
33hz = +7
63hz = +6
100hz = +4
330hz = +2
630hz = +1
1khz = +2
3.3khz = +4
6.3khz = +6
10khz = +7
16khz = +6

I listen predominately to heavy metal, hard rock, and classic rock which some smatterings of country and pop/rock.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tim
I tried this preset of yours as well others. It's like the soul is taken from music. Something is wrong there. Doesn't sound good to me. But what I am listening to now is mid frequencies , very musical and wide but still no bass. 5.2.1L0

Aug 14, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #3,138 of 3,155
I tried this preset of yours as well others. It's like the soul is taken from music. Something is wrong there. Doesn't sound good to me. But what I am listening to now is mid frequencies , very musical and wide but still no bass. 5.2.1L0
I stuck with iBasso FW 2.4.0 after going to 2.5.1 and finding a few issues. Keep in mind that my EQ settings are tailored to what sounds good to me and for the genres mentioned.

Suggest trying later FW and bumping the bass frequencies up even more - remember that +6 really = 0 boost from EQ off. Also note that you can always go back to previous FW if you update and don't like what you hear in 2.4.0 or 2.5.1.

Cheers,
Tim

Sep 9, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #3,140 of 3,155
Hi There:wink:

Around 2 weeks ago my good friend gave me to test modded fw for my ibasso dx90 , which found on some russian audio forum.After two weeks testing i can say soft is stable and sound is just outstanding much better in comparison with lurker . If anyone would try i will leave link below .Update procedure is exactly the same like with lurker fw:wink:

http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/Rcv3iNuP/file.html

hello please updater the link, it's expired. very interested for a fw OTHER THAN lURKER. maybe doc2008? thanks

Nov 24, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #3,141 of 3,155
Well, the DX90 >> Hugo >> HD800 is also sublime... just sayin.... the musicality is just incredible~~ :wink:

I've been staying on 2.0 all along. Never felt any need to "upgrade" my firmware :)

I agree with you, I have tried all of them. I am having though issues with skipping library scan, and restarting on some flac-cue files. How can I fix you these? thank you !

Nov 24, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #3,142 of 3,155
I agree with you, I have tried all of them. I am having though issues with skipping library scan, and restarting on some flac-cue files. How can I fix you these? thank you !
Have you tried a different memory card or using the internal memory to see if that does anything to help? Early on I encountered skipping, etc and it turned out to be a bad memory card which was replaced by the manufacturer under warranty.

Just a thought...

Cheers,
Tim

Jan 27, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #3,143 of 3,155
Have you tried a different memory card or using the internal memory to see if that does anything to help? Early on I encountered skipping, etc and it turned out to be a bad memory card which was replaced by the manufacturer under warranty.

Just a thought...

Cheers,
Tim
Sure I did, and even contacted Paul the iBasso support. They said v2 had some issues which were fixed in the next updates (but it lost its powerful sound though). In spite of this skipping/repeating issues (not in all tracks) I am still on v2. It's a lot of issues, I noticed among other issues, the left channel being louder. I did not measure the difference yet with accurate tools, but had some of my friends listen to it, they confirmed the sound was imbalanced. Then I found a programmer who can change the code, but we don't know exact location of this line. I wonder if somebody had this issue and how they fixed it? thanks

Jan 27, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #3,144 of 3,155
Sure I did, and even contacted Paul the iBasso support. They said v2 had some issues which were fixed in the next updates (but it lost its powerful sound though). In spite of this skipping/repeating issues (not in all tracks) I am still on v2. It's a lot of issues, I noticed among other issues, the left channel being louder. I did not measure the difference yet with accurate tools, but had some of my friends listen to it, they confirmed the sound was imbalanced. Then I found a programmer who can change the code, but we don't know exact location of this line. I wonder if somebody had this issue and how they fixed it? thanks
I don't recall anyone else reporting this imbalance issue - but it has been several years since the DX90 was new and this thread was highly active. Maybe @Lurker0 can help out regarding the coding question...

Assume you have tried alternate earphone/headphones and see the same imbalance with all of them. One other idea - try the line out port to see if it also has the imbalance which might isolate or suggest an issue with the output jack of the headphone port if it is on one and not the other. Then you could replace the headphone jack if confirmed.

Good Luck,
Tim

Jan 27, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #3,145 of 3,155
I don't recall anyone else reporting this imbalance issue - but it has been several years since the DX90 was new and this thread was highly active. Maybe @Lurker0 can help out regarding the coding question...

Assume you have tried alternate earphone/headphones and see the same imbalance with all of them. One other idea - try the line out port to see if it also has the imbalance which might isolate or suggest an issue with the output jack of the headphone port if it is on one and not the other. Then you could replace the headphone jack if confirmed.

Good Luck,
Tim
thanks for advice, I am working with a friend programmer on it, and I have asked THE Lurker as well. the latter says he doesn't have the source code and recommends using the recent FW's which I don't want. My DX90 has already been tampered with, it is the famous MM2 made by Sanmigel, this mode doesn't have a line out, it was removed for the sake of better SQ. But, the recent FW's sound pretty equal in both ears. It makes me think it's the FW's issue maybe even a side effect due because of the huge stereo. nevertheless, I am still interested to know what parameter/line is responsible for the balance of channels, for SQ, etc.

Another thing that I want to know if the DX90 really has a weak bass. I've seen people comments on how bassy it is which just doesn't add up. the bass becomes even more light with the recent FW versions being another reason I stick with FW 2.0 for its better bass (yet not perfect though). Any comments on this as well? thanks

Jan 28, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #3,146 of 3,155
thanks for advice, I am working with a friend programmer on it, and I have asked THE Lurker as well. the latter says he doesn't have the source code and recommends using the recent FW's which I don't want. My DX90 has already been tampered with, it is the famous MM2 made by Sanmigel, this mode doesn't have a line out, it was removed for the sake of better SQ. But, the recent FW's sound pretty equal in both ears. It makes me think it's the FW's issue maybe even a side effect due because of the huge stereo. nevertheless, I am still interested to know what parameter/line is responsible for the balance of channels, for SQ, etc.

Another thing that I want to know if the DX90 really has a weak bass. I've seen people comments on how bassy it is which just doesn't add up. the bass becomes even more light with the recent FW versions being another reason I stick with FW 2.0 for its better bass (yet not perfect though). Any comments on this as well? thanks
Well - I always thought it had fantastic bass and if you use EQ (which I always do and highly encourage anyone else to at least give it a try) you can tailor the sound to your liking.

With your mention of the modification done to your DX90 - could these be the source of the imbalance? Just a thought...

Cheers,
Timm

Jan 28, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #3,148 of 3,155
[QUOTE="alnasique, post: 15441112, member: 482192"

Another thing that I want to know if the DX90 really has a weak bass. I've seen people comments on how bassy it is which just doesn't add up. the bass becomes even more light with the recent FW versions being another reason I stick with FW 2.0 for its better bass (yet not perfect though). Any comments on this as well? thanks[/QUOTE]
The DX90 has good bass. Too good as with Meze Classic 99, I had to use the equalizer to temper this - my ears were hurt.

Feb 11, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #3,149 of 3,155
What we (I) miss today, user replaceable battery...
1613067363993.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back