The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Oct 4, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #3,106 of 3,155
Question for DX90 owners who don't use Rockbox, because I am using a 400gb card and lockbox craps out after reading half of it and to be honest the stock app sounds much better then rockbox which always has glitches...

I can't seem to figure out how to simply play all tracks on the card in shuffle. After indexing the card it is reasonably quick going into the album, artist, genre menus but the 'All Music' menu takes almost 2 minutes to enter every time I go there even though the card is fully scanned. Once I do get in 'All Music' though there is no option to just play all but i can only pick individual songs. Long pressing 'All Music' doesn't bring up the secondary menu letting you 'play' like holding on the artist or album entries does. Just hitting play with nothing selected and shuffle turned on doesn't play anything. Usermanual says nothing. Where is 'Play All'?

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #3,107 of 3,155
Question for DX90 owners who don't use Rockbox, because I am using a 400gb card and lockbox craps out after reading half of it and to be honest the stock app sounds much better then rockbox which always has glitches...

I can't seem to figure out how to simply play all tracks on the card in shuffle. After indexing the card it is reasonably quick going into the album, artist, genre menus but the 'All Music' menu takes almost 2 minutes to enter every time I go there even though the card is fully scanned. Once I do get in 'All Music' though there is no option to just play all but i can only pick individual songs. Long pressing 'All Music' doesn't bring up the secondary menu letting you 'play' like holding on the artist or album entries does. Just hitting play with nothing selected and shuffle turned on doesn't play anything. Usermanual says nothing. Where is 'Play All'?

Press on the folder icon on the left and it should bring up a menu with "Play" on it. This can take a very long time to display if you have a lot of songs in the directory.

Oct 30, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #3,108 of 3,155
Hello, if anybody hear me, and this tread is still on, I bought DX90 recently relatively well priced, because I wna
iBasso please... You're playing a cat and a mouse game but perhaps with your customers. I didn't want to say it but for me DX90 is an unfinished product without a precise vision of how it should sounds. You don't try to change a sound signature, while it is probably the seventh firmware version during the year in which there is a significant change. It's like neverending student project and not a complete product (for quite some serious money). Can't you decide or are you unable to control how would you like your DX90 to be?

Starting from 2.0.0 with a great depth (soundstage vast and DEEP), nice bass, superb 3D-like spacious, airy sound, sophisticated, tasteful (making DX90 a mile better than DX50).

Then 2.0.5: wider soundstage but no depth. Wait, where is a 3-dimensional soundstage (the feature that most distinguishes DX90 from DX50)? There isn't. No more nice bass too.

Here it comes 2.1.0. Wider soundstage, a little depth, better neutrality but without all the smoothness, musicality of 2.0.0 and bass deficient too.

2.1.5 - very nice, there is a bass out there finally, better musicality then 2.1.0.

2.1.8 - 2.1.5 + even better bass, it's cool.

2.2.0. One week listening (6 hours a day) and DX90 landed in a drawer for a month. Plastic sound with strong emphasis on mids, iphone 5 sound signature.

And now this. 2.3.0...

1. Hello, if anybody is still there for this topic. I agree on that different firmware versions offer different sound, it's like Russian roulette). The lowest FW I was able to install is 2.05. It sounds more natural, but way to dark though, and it's a lot of bass. I am using earplugs ATH scr100, and they are rather versatile. changing the headphones is not the option to consider. Version 2.0 won't install, it returns an error - no file found. still waiting for the reply from iBasso. Any thoughts on how to downgrade?

2. And using the occasion, I'd like to express my overall impressions about DX90: I have being using a rockboxed iPod Video 5.5, and being happy with it, but decided to find something better.
this is exactly the case when expensive doesn't mean good - the sound stage of this 2-DAC devise is narrower that that of the iPod! That's just unheard of! 2 dedicated DAC's work worse than 1 wolfson chip. The sound is very close, while ipod's is above and around your head. Looking for a firmware now to fix this problem if there are any. Going to have mod it by Sanmigel in Moscow, but at the moment I honestly would get rid of this thing. Please advise, what firmware is the widest and comparative to that of iPod Video 5.5 meaning more open and wide sound. The two are on my list now - v2.0 (can't downgrade) and purist rom 2.5.1. Please advise. thank you

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #3,110 of 3,155
Hello, if anybody hear me, and this tread is still on, I bought DX90 recently relatively well priced, because I wna

1. Hello, if anybody is still there for this topic. I agree on that different firmware versions offer different sound, it's like Russian roulette). The lowest FW I was able to install is 2.05. It sounds more natural, but way to dark though, and it's a lot of bass. I am using earplugs ATH scr100, and they are rather versatile. changing the headphones is not the option to consider. Version 2.0 won't install, it returns an error - no file found. still waiting for the reply from iBasso. Any thoughts on how to downgrade?

2. And using the occasion, I'd like to express my overall impressions about DX90: I have being using a rockboxed iPod Video 5.5, and being happy with it, but decided to find something better.
this is exactly the case when expensive doesn't mean good - the sound stage of this 2-DAC devise is narrower that that of the iPod! That's just unheard of! 2 dedicated DAC's work worse than 1 wolfson chip. The sound is very close, while ipod's is above and around your head. Looking for a firmware now to fix this problem if there are any. Going to have mod it by Sanmigel in Moscow, but at the moment I honestly would get rid of this thing. Please advise, what firmware is the widest and comparative to that of iPod Video 5.5 meaning more open and wide sound. The two are on my list now - v2.0 (can't downgrade) and purist rom 2.5.1. Please advise. thank you
Send it to Sanmigel and your worries will disappear :dt880smile:

Nov 1, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #3,113 of 3,155
thank you for advice, will do so, but after the mod (MM2), will firmware versions no more affect the sound quality at all? Here, i am confused, because there are my favorite firmware versions out there as 2.0, 2.0.5 for instance. It's like a customization tool of some sort. thanks
With MM2, still difference in sound with firmware change. But SQ will be greatly enhanced, no more that narrow sensation.
On one hand, you have to try every firmware (factory reset after each update). On the other hand, you can find your favorite sound. Mine was 2.5.1 L0 :beerchug:

Nov 2, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #3,114 of 3,155
With MM2, still difference in sound with firmware change. But SQ will be greatly enhanced, no more that narrow sensation.
On one hand, you have to try every firmware (factory reset after each update). On the other hand, you can find your favorite sound. Mine was 2.5.1 L0 :beerchug:
Thank you! that's a great news! I will have it modded. Will USB DAC feature still work? also with v2.0? thanks

Nov 15, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #3,116 of 3,155
Hello! I recently updated from 2.2.0 L0 to 2.5.1 L0, but have encountered an odd issue with my album artwork.

The art for some of my albums is no longer rendering, despite factory resets and rescanning the memory card. I've checked the tags using dedicated tagging software, and all of the files carry the artwork. For the record, all of the image files are iBasso compatible, and artwork for all albums previously rendered correctly.

It's an aesthetic issue, the kind that nags at you as you scroll through albums and see the gaps. Can anyone recommend a fix, please?

I figure that there must be some sort of solution — maybe a way to wipe an old artwork directory that might be messing something up? Surely someone else has encountered this before...

I appreciate your help! Thanks.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #3,117 of 3,155
Everyone have a great and safe New Year! And remember, Enjoy the Music no matter what you are listening with!

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jul 27, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #3,119 of 3,155
You should go v2.0.0, and you should be able to downgrade with RKBatch.
I downgraded to 2.0, sounds good, but it has issue with gapless playback, it skips the beginning of the track, maybe a split second but this is no good, any body has it too? I have a good sandisk card formatted in exfat. any thought on how to fix the gaples play back? thanks

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #3,120 of 3,155
Send it to Sanmigel and your worries will disappear :dt880smile:
I did btw, the sound changed, but really can't tell difference between iPhone 6s' sound and the dx90's , expendeture-wise it should sound better , but it doesn't (((. Maybe firmware can save the situation? which one would you recommend? to my ears the sound won't change much. when enabling equalizer, the sound losses its panorama or something, so I didn't like it. Idlike to have a wide wide stereo, and base too, now (and before too) the bass wasn't impressive (although I am not a bass head), any thought on how reinstate good sound? thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back