The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Jun 3, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #1,186 of 3,155
So essentially what you are saying is that there are no differences between amps and dacs barring impedance mismatches they all should sound the same ?

Whether or not they sound the same is debatable, and I dont want to get into that.

What I am saying is that whatever differences that may exist are minor and more related to timbral changes rather than frequency response - and this means that someone looking to get deeper bass isnt going to get any kind of significantly different performance by changing the DAP, DAC or amp (assuming no power or impedance mismatch issues).   

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #1,187 of 3,155
It's a matter of how well organized you are but don't forget that you also need to scroll on a tiny window for theDX90, ain't easy either. Few more things, the X5 is DAC ready for both PC including 64-bit and the Mac. As the DX90 stands, it's only compatible with PC 32-bit. Will be later to 64-bit

however the Mac is up in the air.

Here is my favorite commute player :

At home I can switch to the DX90, use it in bed as well :)

The dx90 is not compatible with Mac?! :xf_eek: thank you so much for that as that is a real deal breaker for me, although I run Windows 7 64bit on my mac too, the dx90 isn't even compatible with that? Wow I dodged a bullet there no thanks to you sir :)

Also would you say the leather case is worth it instead of the supplied silicone one?

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #1,188 of 3,155
I tried DX90 in a local store and got some short impressions :
Sound stage and imaging are very impressive, but I must say the mids sounds a bit cold to my taste.
Low and highs are ok, nothing too extraordinary.

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #1,189 of 3,155
The dx90 is not compatible with Mac?! :xf_eek: thank you so much for that as that is a real deal breaker for me, although I run Windows 7 64bit on my mac too, the dx90 isn't even compatible with that? Wow I dodged a bullet there no thanks to you sir :)

Also would you say the leather case is worth it instead of the supplied silicone one?

The 64-bit will be available, they are waiting for Microsoft seal of approval to release the driver.

The case is simile leather and can't comment on its durability, the silicon case is very similar to the DX90 one which I find quite durable.

Like I said they each have their advantages and inconveniences, it's for you to find your comfort zone and preferences. They both are a bargain for the price.

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #1,190 of 3,155
The 64-bit will be available, they are waiting for Microsoft seal of approval to release the driver.

The case is simile leather and can't comment on its durability, the silicon case is very similar to the DX90 one which I find quite durable.

Like I said they each have their advantages and inconveniences, it's for you to find your comfort zone and preferences. They both are a bargain for the price.

Hmm by the looks of it the majority of people decide to go with the x5 when it comes down to returning one and keeping one or using it as Na everyday player so I think I will go with the x5 :D

Thanks for all your help, impressions will follow after it has arrived!

Jun 3, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #1,191 of 3,155
Just ensure that your impressions are in the x5 thread. From what I have seen in headfi I would not say that the majority have chosen the x5. I hope you enjoy your x5 and hopefully you will be able to demo both before making a decision.

Jun 3, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #1,192 of 3,155
Just ensure that your impressions are in the x5 thread. From what I have seen in headfi I would not say that the majority have chosen the x5. I hope you enjoy your x5 and hopefully you will be able to demo both before making a decision.

The chances of me trying both are pretty slim as there are no high street retailers in the UK that seem to stock these audiophile players :/ just gonna go with the masses and hope it works out! Cheers

Jun 3, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #1,193 of 3,155
I would expect to see about a 50/50 spread between them

Jun 3, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #1,194 of 3,155
The chances of me trying both are pretty slim as there are no high street retailers in the UK that seem to stock these audiophile players :/ just gonna go with the masses and hope it works out! Cheers

I don't know about Fiio but iBasso has a 15-day return policy. They will even refund shipping cost if you decide DX90 is not your cup of tea.

Jun 3, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #1,195 of 3,155

I don't know about Fiio but iBasso has a 15-day return policy. They will even refund shipping cost if you decide DX90 is not your cup of tea.

I don't think iBasso refunds the shipping cost, I have returned a few things and shipping was not one of the refunded items. They only problem with buying directly from iBasso is the return aspect of it (expensive returning things to China). FiiO uses authorized dealers and you get easily 30 day money back plus returns are local. I started to see iBasso using authorized dealers so that hopefully might change.

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #1,196 of 3,155
I don't think iBasso refunds the shipping cost, I have returned a few things and shipping was one one of the refunded items. They only problem with buying directly from iBasso is the return aspect of it (expensive returning things to China). FiiO uses authorized dealers and you get easily 30 day money back plus returns are local. I started to see iBasso using authorized dealers so that hopefully might change.

That's what they told me when they had problems shipping the first batch of orders to Singapore. I asked them to cancel my order because it was looking like local retailers will have a stock before direct orders make it past HK's customs. But apparently they made another shipment using DHL and it was already in transit when I asked for a refund.

Must be a one off arrangement due to the circumstance at the time.

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #1,197 of 3,155
That's what they told me when they had problems shipping the first batch of orders to Singapore. I asked them to cancel my order because it was looking like local retailers will have a stock before direct orders make it past HK's customs. But apparently they made another shipment using DHL and it was already in transit when I asked for a refund.

Must be a one off arrangement due to the circumstance at the time.

One thing you gotta give iBasso credits for, if there is a shipping snafu they'll live up to it and will compensate you for the inconvenience.

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #1,198 of 3,155
Hey all
Can I get a clarification on using a Mac with a DX90 ? I can still drag and drop my music files onto the DX90 / sd card, I just can't use the DX90 as a DAC with the Mac, correct ?

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the DX90 and a pair of JH 16's and want to make sure. This is my first foray into the DAP field and am looking forward to an awesome experience.
Thanks
Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back